Anybody from Africa? Doesn't Africa manufacture feather shuttles and are they cheap?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by galaxyduo, Aug 20, 2022.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Hi. I was just watching the BWF featuring video Uganda's national team:

One thing that kind of shocked me in that video is that even for the Uganda national team, they are still using plastic shuttles. And then when the Uganda team goes to international tournaments, they need to play with feather shuttles. That's a huge disadvantage, IMO. I understand that at the lower level, plastic shuttles are used, which is fine. But at the national level, if they are still using plastic shuttles, as per that video, that would give the Ugandan players a huge disadvantage in international tournaments.

So does anybody know, aren't feathered shuttles manufactured in Africa? If feather shuttles are manufactured in Africa, are they cheap there? I would think if the Ugandan national team could get their hands on cheap feather shuttles manufactured in Africa, that would allow their players to train and play more with feathered shuttles. But if they have to import the feathered shuttles from say, Europe or Asia, that's expensive and that would be bad.

Does anybody from Africa know the situation of feathered shuttles in Africa? Doesn't Africa manufacture feathered shuttles? What is the cost of African manufactured feathered shuttles if you buy it in Africa?

2. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Why would Africa make feather shuttles, sounds like lacking on both demand and supply sides… Nothing wrong with importing.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Better sponsorship would allow them to buy feather shuttles

galaxyduo likes this.
  4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I guess it must be too expensive to import the shuttles, or maybe the base price of the shuttles is expensive for the Ugandan national team, without the import fees. That's a shame though, it just gives the Ugandan national team a disadvantage when they play in international tournaments.