Any Mac users or Apple consumers?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by SJ_Tan, Apr 28, 2004.

1. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Just wondering cos..i recently bought an iBook G4 to replace my desktop PC becos it crashed two times even after i repaired it. And besides buying an iBook i also bought a iPod. So as u can see..im coverted from a PC user to a Mac user and im really satisfied with it.

Anyway..I'm still pretty new at this so i was wondering whether any of u guys have had some or any experience with a mac. Also..if u have any views bout any apple products, likes/dislikes, advantages/disadvantages etc..feel free to post ur thoughts here! ^__^

2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    :cool: Don't look back!

You won't be dissapointed.

3. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Hehe..i definitely didnt reget buying a mac! Personally i think its way better than a PC.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I'm going to have to...

Agree.

Apple's products since their "revival" have been absolutely awesome, in terms of user friendliness, and design.

Having used the product extensively, and having used unix/linux platforms before... I really appreciate the Mac for it's simplicity.

They are definitely powerful products for the consumers, however I find that it is the intial cost of the goods that turn a lot of people off looking for a "bargain"

Also compatability is a bit of a problem when it comes to gaming for a lot of people.

I myself, am looking into purchasing a Mac as my next platform once I build myself another home PC...

Like the adverts... "I switched too!!"
    Or for the time being, I'm looking to switch!!! :p

-Kelvin

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I consume apples, but not Macs. ;)

I read about Macs from a few disgruntled Windows users and the feedback to Mac were very positive. Almost no crashes, programs run flawlessly, revolutionary user interface, supreme ease of use, support for advanced technology.

As Wizbit said, you can convert out of Windows into Mac OS, but not backwards. Be warned! :cool: ;)

I have my office WindowsXP workstation styled to run on Mac theme together with the cool taskbar application, all because we can't afford one... *sob*. We could actually, but lots of software won't work.

Then again, if you use your Mac primarily for file serving, work related stuff, then it won't go wrong. If you are thinking of Counter Striking or Need For Speeding, then you will be going wrong, unless you are willing to dish out some cash to buy a Windows emulator.

6. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I play computer games all the time, and sadly they don't run on Macs. Especially since I used to play them competitively, it would be too tough to give up gaming for a Mac. Plus I've never been too big of a Mac fan, even though they run a lot smoother than anything Micro$oft puts out. I do have an iPod though. I think the main advantage of Macs is that they look pretty, but as of right now PCs are a little more user friendly since there's a lot more software that only run on Windows.

7. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i've been an avid apple user since i was 4. i was introduced to computers very early. the newest line of apple computers are great. the os is easy to use, customer support is friend and fast. if you're like me and do not play very many games an apple is for you. however there are hardware issues you have to be careful of. my friend's apple g3 desktop has already overheated, but still useable. my friend's g3 ibook recently died on him after 4 faithful years. oh and the g4 processer in your ibook WILL GET EXTREMELY HOT. about 136 degrees F at idle at times... so my suggestion to you is to get a pad that has fans in it that you can put underneath your laptop so it will cool it down. just a suggestion. otherwise, apple and itunes rule. =D

oh and btw, apple users automatically have a higher IQ too =P

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I consume apples regularly? :confused:

I hate apple because of their awful programs. I.e. Apple quicktime makes itself the default program for all sorts of files that it can't even play, and loads itself automatically with windows thereby wasting a lot of resources, has tons of annoying pop ups and constant reminders to to upgrade, etc etc. It doesn't even allow fullscreen. It's actually worse than real player... which is hard because nothing is worse than real player.

based on that experience i can honestly say i'd never want a mac if they design their OS in anyway similar to that. The good thing about windows is that you can re-write anything you want and disable what the OS includes.

9. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Each to its own

BRL I take it that you havn't really used a mac to any extent then...;)

Quicktime is not so bad in it's native OS. Which other Apple program(s) that you have come by, do you hate?

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i consume apples too, and sometimes big macs, although i usually go to burger king since they do more special offers:)

macs are nice, but as long as your not using too many file sharing programs, have proper firewalls and anti-virus, you should be ok on a PC.

11. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

macs are really good, except hot chicks usually use PCs

12. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Haha wow really shiriblue? Since the age of 4?!...amazing..^__^ Hehe yeah i agree with u the new line of macs are definitely very user friendly and yes i am like u i dont play games very much..i leave the gaming attention to my PS2 and GC. And yea i know..my i-book gets VERY hot at times if im on the comp too long..but i cool it down nonetheless so its a-ok. :)

I also agree with u that apple users have a higher IQ too! ;) :p

13. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Oh really? i dont use a pc...lol! Im a girl but i dunno whether i can be considered a chick! :p

14. bigredlemon

I've used macs before... never really liked the idea of a one-button mouse. This was way way back when the monitor and PC was still one unit (the beige-square-box generation, not the newer nicer looking ones :p )

and macs these days are just a simplied *nix right? i can't think of any reasons to use a mac. Lots of people say "things are easier" but never mention any specifics. I can think of lots of thigns that are easier in windows than in macs

i.e.
    - video processing of different codecs. Codecs for apple are almost always a year or more behind

- batch jobs: repetitve tasks can be easily automated in windows using any number of methods. Don't think there's any equivalents in macs

- customizability: you can change everything about a pc. Interface, menus, etc etc. Dont think this is doable on a mac.

- compatability: fixing messess are easily done due to compatibility of different hardware and software; can also run old software

- better hardware/software support due to larger user base. Not apple's fault but thats how it is.

- ****ty apple software for PC. if they want to convert pc users, how about not making a hideous media player. From what I heard, I-tunes is almost as bad. It has also no options at all... seems like their ad agency is spinning their programs' inability to do anything advanced as "ease of use"

15. bigredlemon

cute girls like ibooks because it matches their clothes.

so true...lol....

seriously though... their ibooks are very good for the price.

16. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    in all honesty, i have to agree with you on those points BRL. But the reason why I like apple better is because it doesnt crash as much as windows. windows xp has become such a headache. well at least the newest apple OS rarely crashes. lets not talk about the previous OS. but apple has come a long way from the original macs.

the interface of an apple doesnt need to be customized, haha. i like it exactly the way it is and so do alot of people. its actually somewhat more convient for people. software wise, Halo is out for apples. C&C generals, i think HL as well (finally) but if you dont play many games like me, but need browser functionality, e-mail, chat programs, dvd watching, and music, apples are the best choice because the computer includes all of that. its all stable unlike some windows programs in which you have to download or buy propritary software.

oh and itunes? i think its a good program. it has alot of options if you know how to use it. but people just want to listen to music, so why would you need to make such a complicated program to listen to music?

but either way BRL, you brought up some good points

17. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

Have an iBook too. If you're used to using windows it can be a little different at first but once you get used to it you'd say it's better. like what the others have said, the down side is that a lot of the gaming softwares in the market are not compatible plus the parts are expensive when you need to have it repaired...