Another Year, badminton season is comming, another year of coaching

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by aznphi1osopher, Sep 26, 2005.

1. aznphi1osopher

aznphi1osopher Regular Member

Welps, after my old post about coaching an all girls team a while back, its starting all over again. The team did pretty well, third overall. However, this year brings with it a new dillema. Allllllllllll my best players are leaving this year , AHHH!!! a coach's nightmare. In addition to that, members are an all time low. Mostly because, most of the team ARE seniors this year. I dont have any sophmores or juniors. And ofcourse no freshmen's since the season hasnt started yet. Anyways.... Recruitment and maintaining a number of freshmen, sophmore and juniors is my main priorty this year. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to get more members AND keep them. I am aware that i do scare off alot of the newer members, due to my strictness and drilling. I will try to mellow down a little and not work them as hard. and yes i know "badminton is suppose to be fun" , "keep it fun and they will stay" , but how do you make badminton seem fun but at the same time "actually train."

On the side note :

Anyone in the bay area have broken birdies to donate? hahaha (im serious) =P

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i thought bay area HS uses plastics?

have you tried asking your students who attend open gyms to stick around to collect used birdies? i have done that myself and noticed that some players are quite wasteful and would throw away fairly good condition ones. it is very easy to collect one shopping bag worth of partially used birdies in one session alone...

good luck with the season.

3. aznphi1osopher

aznphi1osopher Regular Member

yea, bay area hs does use plastics. But where am i gona get a gigantic box of plastic birdies for practice... i only bring them out when they play games and stuff, most of the time, i will do the drills using lots of feather ones , since they are easier to accumulate.

And yea, i tend to carry a plastic bag with me , everytime i go to UBC. hehe hope the ubc people dont see this. but it doesnt hurt to try and ask for donations :eek:

4. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Our school doesn't have a coach, well not really a coach, just someone there to just maintaine a title of "Coach" to earn money. Anyway my friends and I are also Juniors and Seniors. Most of our best players are also graduating (majority of them did last year). We're trying to encourage mroe freshman and sophemore to join. The most, in my opnion, disappointing thing happened last year was that we had a few new players, but they were overwhelemed by the conditioning and drills that we did. They weren't really encouraged by our coach to stay either. (I hope he gets changed this year seriously).

Recently we are starting attemps to start early! (Our season starts in Spring) so we can attach them now and when season starts, they wont be scared and ready! I would suggest to you, like our team, make the team members attract new memebers! I read somewhere that Coaches (in NCS) are not allowed to host events before the season, such as coaching and stuff. Most of us, senior and junior members of the team, are asking and making new friend to join the badminton team. So far, it looks like we quite a few memeber planning to join. Our next goal is to start little stuff at recreational gyms.

But basically if you want to get new members, friend's usually works! It's a "if you do it, I'll do it too" thing lol

Good luck with your team! Great to see coaches that really tries (I hope our coach get changed soon)