Another noob...

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Barrowford Bluesman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Barrowford Bluesman

Barrowford Bluesman New Member

Hello everyone

I've been playing badminton for a number of years now and, as I approach the big six-0, badminton is an important part of my life in terms of keeping fit; I also walk and cycle.

I play two or three times a a week, mainly doubles, both at my local club and in London when working away from home at various "MeetUps" - a great app for people who move around with work.

I've improved quite steadily over the years. Recent weight loss means I move a bit more easily but I'm still quite a big build - 180/85kg. I currently play using an APACS Blend (2015), APACS Tantrum 300 (I think that's a 200 in disguise) and I also have a Yonex Voltric 50 but it's only been out of the bag once.

I'm in the market for a new racket - something that's an improvement on what I have and that will continue to help me improve me game.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe Arc 11 or Duo 10? Otherwise to your current rackets should be fine.

Rather, I would suggest trying out different strings. Would be cheaper and show significant impact. You're playing with feathers I presume? If so, then try some thin strings like ZM62 Fire or Gosen G-Tone 5. What's your current string and tension setup?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. Barrowford Bluesman

Tension is 25lb. On the Blend. I need to check the Tantrum as I didn't use it for a while. I play with feathers on one evening, plastics the rest of the time. I never used to pay much attention to it to be honest, but as I'm getting better at playing I'm paying more attention to the toos of the job so to speak.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I second visor's opinion... work on the strings before changing rackets.

What is it that you don't like about your current set-up?

5. Barrowford Bluesman

I have no reason to change other than a whim to do so. I'm playing more regularly and I'm fitter than I've been in years and have the money which I don't always have as my family take precedence.

I have started to enjoy badminton more and as a result started thinking about how I play etc. and my kit. I'm happy with most of my game. I need to think about choice of shot a little more, particularly when playing with better players. I would like a little more "oomph" in my smash and a little more dexterity when at the net. I'm playing 60/40 in favour of plastic shuttles. Longer term I was thinking maybe one racket for each.

As much as anything it was experimentation and I'm happy to listen and learn about choice of string, tension etc..

I hope that is helpful and thanks once again for people taking an interest.
    Ian

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Most would suggest using the heavier racket with thicker string at slightly less tension for plastic, and for feathers, use the lighter racket with thinner string at slightly more tension.

What strings are you currently using?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7. b4d_b100d

b4d_b100d New Member

From my experience, thinner strings + higher tension = plastic shuttles don't go anywhere for some reason. I can't clear end to end with plastic after upping tension and getting thinner strings no matter how much power I throw into the hit, but feather goes out the back and is pretty easy. Sure it's less durable, but it's a lot more enjoyable and satisfying hitting feather.

8. Barrowford Bluesman

Thanks for all the replies

9. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

In cold and humid locations.. when you play with plastic, I will recommend Yonex M2000P shuttles and a racket with low tension maybe 20-22 LBS,, I actually have the Tantrum 200ll with 20LBS BG80 as my Nordic set-up for a court with temperature between 10-18 C,, of course sadly the only really satisfying sound you will hear is your opponents Aauuussch when you get a good a lab-smash in ;)

10. Barrowford Bluesman

Thanks for that. I didn't get a new racket in the end due to a minor op.. I'll put some more time/thought into it. Thanks for the reply. Interesting.