Another Chinese-Canadian :)

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by t3tsubo, Aug 30, 2006.

1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Hey Im new on this forum... wel sort of. I've already made a few posts elsewhere; but i figured i should probably introduce myself before writing more.

As you can tell from the title, I'm a Chinese Canadian, and i live in Edmonton Alberta. Sucks cause all of the nice forum mebers are in Calgary >.<. On http://www.badminton-network.com/, I rated myself a 6.3, although that might be a bit high cause I mostly can do the specified strokes in drill, but its a difficult for me to do them consistently in games. I havent played competetively for a long time, and I'm just strating this year; although I've played in Badminton camps since i was 9, so i'm actually very good at most of the technical stuff (IMO).

The reason I havent played badminton competetively is because i was doing Competetive swimming since forever. I've found great sucsess there, setting a few records and consistently placing top 5 in the national age group rankings. Howwever i got a bit bored of the training; just doing laps over and over again; so I'm taking up badminton this year as well. However, thanks to all of this swimming (training 7 times a week, having to wake up at 500 in the morning to have a workout before school) I'm very fit, so have found an advantage against some opponents (again in camps; I've never gone to any formal tournament) in that regard.

The raquet I've been using for he past 3 years is my trusty Carbonex 8200 Light, an old model but it actually helped me train my stroke very well because of the horrible power in that raquet. I could never clear and hit the birdie very far, so i kept training (in the camps) to be able to hit the sweetspot and working on my wrist work. Also, I focused more on dropshots and finesse strokes rather than powerful smashes.
    Recently, I got a new Nanospeed 8000, which is a huge improvement on my old racquet. Now I'm mopstly trying to train smashing harder and aiming my smashes and other shots to the very corners and edges of the court.

If anyone wants to play me once in a while, I'm always open on weekends :). Have to live in Edmonton tho :rolleyes:.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hi t3, welcome to BC. You got a good start in badminton because fitness is almost half the skills. You should try perfecting singles first to make use and maintain your good stamina. Often, greater techniques are required in singles than doubles and u would learn stroke and footfoot skills faster playing singles

3. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Glad to see another badminton player from e-town join the forums :D

Do you play at any clubs yet? If so, we should get together and play a few matches sometime =)

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    yahoo E-town ROX!!!
    i just started to play (or will start to play, first practice is next week :)) at the derrick club. It's a private club but a lot of people in the school near it join. I think the coach there used represent china in men's doubles too.

If you want to play tweak, I'm all for it, just pm me time and place and I'll see if i can go. Weekends are 90% yes. Weekdays are 99% no xD. Kinsmen is my preferred place but I'll go anywhere for a nice game :D

Thanks cooler, I do plan on playing single :). I'm not very good at tactics with another person yet, though i suppose that will come with more training. I came to the same conclusion as you so i decide to specialize in singles when i start playing.

5. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    A few of my friends and myself will be playing at the Red Willow Club in St. Albert tomorrow (thursday) for some fun... Two of them haven't played in a while, and my other friend and I are looking for some new blood =D You're welcome to join us, but whether you wish to play with a few 15 year olds is a different question :D

6. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    welcome to BC forum and have fun.
    ahh...chinese canadian..i have a few good chinese friends in Canada..lol...all are cool..XD

7. Angelofstorm

Angelofstorm Regular Member

Badminton Fanatic
    Calvin!!!!!!!!!!!! Its me Jason! I'll play ya. I might be getting p lessons on fridays now so I can imrpove faster.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Top 5.... that's AMAZING. Glad to have you hear, I like what you have to say.