Anders Antonsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Petersen, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Technically, Hingis won a lot of majors after ‘99, just not in singles : )

samkool likes this.
  2. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

How old are you Saint Mair? The younger generation of today is a little less mature than you were when you were our age. Its not fun to loose and Anders did have a promising future before he contracted covid and his injuries. He is not the only player that has suffered from the virus, im therefore almost certain that he would have behaved better if the stakes wernt that high for both parties and if the mindgames wernt done to begin with. I think that it should be understandable why he was upset and why it could be hard to snap out of it.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    IIRC, Steffi Graf is a crowd favourite. The fans have a strong bias towards their favourite player. :D

The key point is the serve is within the rules. KN served within the rules, AA had his chance to play the shuttle. If you let AA get away with this, then you might as well say all flick serves need to be taken again until the receiver is comfortable at hitting a good shot.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And it didn't help that Hingis was trashing Steffi in interviews before the match basically saying that her time was up. And then all the discussions with the umpire during the match. Darn it, what a thriller that was. :)

Good lord, you make it sound like I'm 100 years old. :D
    Not sure how long you have been following AA's carreer. He has always been the cocky loudmouth who was easily triggered when things didn't go his way. He seemed to have gotten into a more professional working attitude when he was closely training alongside Viktor Axelsen and that's when he also had his peak performances. Viktor left for Dubai and Anders just doesn't seem to be able to get back to his previous peak shape. As I said in the beginning, he did himself more harm than good with the behaviour he showed there. Nishimoto knew how he could trigger him and happily kept pushing the button.

5. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

get with the program old foggies, these are the days of participation medals. or as someone alluded to earlier, post since disappeared, we should at least praise antonsen, despite his big physique, for not throwing his racket at the umpire and nishimoto. what benevolence. the people he attracts...

6. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

classic rigid rule fanboys . nothing that happened in that match was illegal. imagine being so pressed over such small things. smh

7. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Nothing illegal maybe but there is something you call Sportsmanship

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, you guys are just making a big deal out of a service situation that is caused by a slightly outside the usual range of timing. Nishimoto serves very quickly with almost no set time. It's not that he purposely does this to upset other players, it's just how he serves.

So not many players know how to deal with it. Even CTC in the final was slightly disturbed by it, but he had the match experience to know to hold his hand up. Not AA, who only learned late in the match to keep his hand up.

At the other extreme, there are other players who take almost 5 seconds after setting before service, namely Choi Sol-Gyu and Christina Pedersen, causing their opponents to almost fall over while waiting.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#88 visor, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Justin L, Dangho and Schultzier like this.
  9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think that there's more tactic behind his behavior then getting easily triggered. AA is a great tactical player, good skills, good anticipation, enormous confidence, but his physicality are not en par with what is needed at this high level of play. Just look at the length of AA games, these matches suffer so badly from delaying that he is already know as the 'king of delay' (or win first-drop second ).
    I don't think that he is capable of getting in better shape (physically limitation ?), his only chance to get back is to out-smart his opponents. But currently he is only trying to bend the rules until they break.
    Compare this to Momota, who suffered from injury and is still struggling to get back where he was once. Losing lot of matches left and right, still no sign of cheeky tactics to get yet an other point for free.

AA, like many other top badminton players, try to establish his name as trademark. At 25 yo he should start to rethink his approach and its effect on fans (less fans => less interest of sponsering).

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

What makes you think that?

s_mair likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You’re right. He didn’t break a rule but he tried to actively cheat a point. I wasn’t clear enough.

jctai likes this.
  12. Ballschubser

I refer to his shape before his injury, he will recover from his injury for sure. But his physical peak time should be over by now with 25yo and he know and play since years in this state (win first- drop second if it gets too hard or delay like hell if this doesnt work out). If he would have been able to get in better shape, it would have happened a few years ago, I don't think that it is a matter of missing will.
    Still there's room for more improvements in other aspects, but I think not physically.

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I think that this will be the question that will define his further carreer. Is he willing to invest the work and effort which is needed or does he want to go the easy way, hoping for the results to fall in his lap, bending rules if necessary?

I've watched him during the WC '19 in Basel and he was in great physical shape. He was controlled, focused, consistent (let's forget how KM anihilated him in the final :rolleyes:) quick and seemed determined. And what I liked best, he showed very mature attitude on court. He clearly has the talent and the shot making capabilites to play at the highest level and I really enjoyed watching him back then.

With the way he has been presenting himself in his recent appearances, I have serious doubts that he will find the way back to his '19 self or to a comparable work attitude.

14. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

I don’t know if this is still a constraint but in the past he had a lot of problems with migraine if he pushed himself too hard

15. Ballschubser

Yeah, this is kind of sad. I think that AA has more talent than VA, I think even that his talent carried him quite 'effortless' into top 10, but the big difference between AA and VA is, that VA knows that he need to work hard to get and keep in the top and he do it, while AA seems to lack this kind of ambitions and take too much for granted.

s_mair likes this.
  16. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Theoretically maybe. But also depends on how much you train and how you build your career. European players typically peak later than Asian players. Viktor is in better physical shape now at 28 than he was at 25.

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Guys, let's hear what he has to say about his action. He blamed Gill?. What ?!

#97 Baddyforall, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Huh? What? When? Where? Who?…. Hippo?!

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Thanks for the link. As expected, no sign of anything close to self criticism. Everyone else is to be blamed, yeah sure.

I actually really like the summary from HKV starting at 31:16. Sums it up very nicely and puts the whole issue into the right perspective imo.

Ballschubser and Baddyforall like this.
  20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yeah. Both Nishimoto and Antonsen are in fault. But I love how Hans Kristian Vittinghus handles the situation and when Antonsen blamed Gill Clarke for ' blowing up' the matter and Vittinghus instead of directly stopping him from blaming Gill, he handled it very well and also I felt Antonsen did not even feel for an instant that he is wrong in certain situation of that match. That's why I love hearing Vittinghus among all the other Denmark people.
    Vittinghus clearly pointed out where Antonsen made wrong in receiving Nishimoto's serves and grounded Antonsen on some occasions of this podcast

Ballschubser and s_mair like this.