Analysis of LCW's play in HKO

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open 2007' started by X Ball, Dec 4, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Ok, I looked at the play of LCW vs LD in the 3 sets and I want to know whether anyone has the same opinion as me.

1st set
    LD started in a furry. LCW caught him with a couple of fast returns. LCW was returning the shots well -- lifting the shuttles to the baseline with just the right length, and they didn't look too high and these caught LD several times when he smashed to into the net (LD was not able to execute his huge jumping smash properly).

2nd set
    What went wrong was LCW lobbed the shuttle too many times short of the basline and the height of the shuttles were reasonably high for LD to smash them down -- I counted at least 5-6 of these smashed down cleanly by LD. LCW was clearly affected by these -- he tried adjusting these to ensure the distance was long enough but these went out because he hit it too long, and cost him more points. He also lost out obviously trying to net play instead of lobbing high to the back (coz he is worried of not getting the right distance) and lost a few 'knee jerk' net shots of his which didn't go across (with LD hovering at the net, always hard to match net shots with him cleanly).

3rd Set
    He still have problems with his his high lobbying to the baseline and net plays. It bothered him. And flick serves to the back cost him coz they were smashed down easily by LD.

Conclusion

He needs to get his distance right when he lobs his shuttles to the baseline -- I suggest lob it more to LD's backhand's side and not so much into the middle coz LD seems to be lethal with smashes from there. Attack more into LD's body rather than to the side if the smashes are not going to be powerful ones -- LD is more vulnerable when shots are directed at his body.

WDYT ?

#1 X Ball, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The questions are:
    1) Why change his G1 game plan?
    2) Why can't or don't he do what he normally can do? Defend, move and attack superbly?
    3) What's the advantage of flick serve? Why did he continue the risk when all his flick serves got killed?

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    you should ask Misbun...:D:D:D
    if u analyse here, LYB might learn a thing or 2...
    fatal for LCW.....:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yeah, should close door and talk to Hj Misbun.............:D:D:D

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Ah, but I am not giving away any of LCW's strengths (notice I have not discussed any features of his specific plays), I am only pointing out his errors.:D

In any case, they all know LCW's strengths (they can watch videos as much as I can). Nobody has counted on him turning it around so fast. If he improves further next year, it would not surprise me if he becomes hard to beat for anyone --- just got to get those lobs correct in the meantime.:D

NB: Or maybe you guys are right I am giving away too much secrets.:D;):eek:

#5 X Ball, Dec 4, 2007
  6. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I agree with alot of points, but I saw LCW playing his old style instead of his new more effective rally style because he is scared of Lin Dan's smashes. LCW liked to keep it flat and net, but Lin Dan is used to that game so he took full advantage of LCW's fear and play.

Just my two cents :)

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yup agree -- who would not be scared of LD's smashes (as I said he smashed so many good ones away the other day).

Why didn't he play the new style ? LD forced him to play fast and got him to do lots of net plays -- LD must have researched into LCW's plays.

#7 X Ball, Dec 4, 2007
  8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i saw the short lobs too but the commentator was talking about the direction of the draft in the stadium and that it was behind LCW in the first set and against LCW on the second. maybe that is why his lobs are too short. i was not there so i just based this on what i heard the commentator was saying.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    By the way, he's a little injured - facing the world's best player at less than your full fitness almost always guarantees certain defeat - you need all the strength you can get.

Not making an excuse for him by the way, just so you know.

10. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    Definitely agree, LD did a great job controlling LCW in game 2 and 3.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i am extremely surprise to hear a lcw fan saying his fav. player, #2 best MS player in world, forgot how to hit the very basic strokes of badminton: lift and overhead clears. Even if that assumption is true, a #2 best MS player should able to make correction during the 2nd set, if not, on the 3rd game. I dont believe a #2 best MS player can't find the base line by the 3rd game.

conclusion: bad analysis

#11 cooler, Dec 4, 2007
  12. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    So what you're essentially saying is that a #2 player can't be outplayed nor can he makes mistakes against the #1 player in the world? And that he MUST hit the perfect shot everytime against the #1 player? In your dreams buddy. And you think X Ball's analysis was bad? It's one thing to have an opinion and another thing to be arrogant. You, sir, are the latter. Grow up.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

he asked WDYT ?
    my post is my opinion to his analysis and only his analysis.
    Any assumption, extrapolation, guesses and allegation on your part is your own fabrication and you are putting new spin into my post. Don't start fires when there isnt one. I did not accuse anyone anything where as u did. Who need to grow up?:rolleyes:

if u want to disagree, find a counterpoint to each of my statement. Don't go making stuff up what u think i meant to say. Hint: What i have said is clearly stated in my post.

#13 cooler, Dec 4, 2007
  14. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I watched his match against Chen Jin in the French Open (admittedly very different circumstances!). And if you ignore how his opponent was playing, EVERYTHING was just going right for him then. Almost every shot was perfectly placed. Very rarely did he make a mistake. I think that's how he started against Lin Dan in this match. Lin Dan upped the pace a bit in the second set, and LCW started making a few errors... I think he started to doubt himself a bit from that point... And that affected his shots and his playing style... And at that point I think he'd already lost the match.

And yes I really agree with the point about the netplay. All of a sudden not everything is going right for him, and the doubt sets in. He seemed to really lose his focus in this match. Just watching his face and body language, and the hesitation in his shots... One of those line calls (I think in the third set) also seemed a bit rough, and what Lin Dan did on match point didn't help either (quite clever though)! He still played well though, it was a very exciting final!!

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Whatever you say I disagree, and I dont need to counter any of your points. And it is my opinion.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

much better analysis;) which i purposely left out what u have said to see how long it take for other bc members to come to these points. It took 14 posts...

regarding the match point, IMO, i think lcw isn't playing fair and want to take a cheap point off LD by rushing his serve, hoping to catch LD off guard and a weak lift or an error. I was :eek: when lcw did it 'twice'. LD showed alot of maturity and each time, not fazzled but ask for a re-serve. In the end lcw cheap tactic backfired and LD got the easy finish shot off a very disturbed lcw serving.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

No, u don't need to. Your points are all displayed in post #1.
    Why repeating yourself again? Just curious....

18. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    lcw was trying to implement KJ's serve................hehehhee...........

19. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

LCW lost because lack of physical n mental fitness after long tourneys
    basically his skill is much better than LD that even if he lost the game he style of play is still the best i have ever seen, just like Mia in WS, Tony n Candra in MD or Kim n Ra in XD....

20. AlanL

AlanL Regular Member

QS
    LD is simply better during that match, LCW tried his best and not good enough. I think if both are on top form LD will win because he got more arsenal than LCW.