Analyse Around-The-Head Smash Request (as 3rd shot in doubles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I am the guy with the headband.

I always get caught in this type of situation:

Partner serves low. I get semi-lift to backhand corner which I feel is punishable with smash, but I find it hard to reach there on time.

Is my footwork incorrect? I try to go there with singles-style turning-around movement(though not fully as you can see) and do a scissor kick smash, but should I do a china jump instead in this scenario?

Or should I simply do a safer backhand drop and wait for a better opportunity to smash?

#1 Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Is there incorrect footwork if it gets you there. Footwork and footwork pattern are an individual thing.

There are some obvious issues though. Your stance is very very high. Your steps are very very small tiny. You're making two steps to get there. How much distance do you cover? I really hope that's not your singles footwork.

Both issues are probably related, so maybe just try to have a lower stance and low balance during the two steps.

That's a bad second shot by your opponents. Punish it.

There's other options to get there, there's more to be improved (the always is), but this is the most obvious, so start with this.

Abdullah Ahmad AAK likes this.
  3. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

My singles footwork isn't that, like I do take longer steps in it. In this situation I kind of reverted to my old habit of taking small steps because the shuttle was coming very fast. Happens sometimes unconsciously

Thank you for the link

I'll try a lower stance next time and see if I can get to the shuttle earlier

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Besides your footwork, you are hitting it very flat/ too high over the net(see how your opponent was able to respond to it!), you need to close your racket face more. But you are getting to the shuttle. There may be an issue with your grip. Maybe some here have some suggestions re that.

#4 ralphz, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  5. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I would have tried to hit it more down the line.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

His main problem re trajectory was that it wasn't anywhere near steep enough. But which line do you mean? The centre line? Or the side tramlines?

7. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Sorry I wasn't clear in my answer.
    I agree with 'speculatius', the OP's ready stance is too high. Even though he anticipated opponents shot he wasn't able to punish it (may be tired/casual).
    And I think he played the 'China Jumpshot' here rather than 'Scissor kick', im bit confused with the terms.
    He played a half power flat shot right into the opponents racquet which was easily redirected.
    His partner is looking back at him while he takes the shot.

Usually if I know the opponents return then I already bias my stance towards that side and with 1-2 shuffle + China jump i smash it down the side tramlines (towards centre if the opponent is covering the outer tramline).

#7 dnewguy, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020