Alternate/Upgrade base clamps for 602FC/X-6FC

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asmd6230, Mar 12, 2021.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

After just very recently assembling my stringing machine to suit my needs, (Size/form factor was paramount.. in choosing the base, but in hindsight came with an annoyance im trying to address here) and running a bunch or rackets through it... im rather pleased with it... except for how roughly the base clamp grates against the guide. Also, my thumb is very unhappy with the quick action lock base clamps the 602FC comes with.

So, question is.. are they any cam lock bases for clamps that will retro fit to the 602FC. preferably an automatic one. (automatically unlocks the base), that has a smoother mechanism than a nut scraping across aluminum side?

I realize, building a machine out costs more than buying a better one, but this suits my needs. buying bigger with better parts doesnt fit my requirements, what i need is a smaller portable/modular setup with bits from better machines.

Looking forward to any and all suggestions/replies.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The integrated clamp/track system in the Gamma is proprietary. In order to go around it, you will have to potentially bolt in another track/rail and the matching clamps bases and also clamps. At that point, might as well buy a new machine (i know you said otherwise).

3. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. :)

Im wondering if the clamp base from Gammas higher models will fit, such as from the 8900 series.
    I believer they'll fit on the 6004...

if the 6004/8900 clamp base could fit on the 602FC... problem solved.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The 6004 base should fit, as the aluminum track built into the extruded aluminum base looks the same. And the 6004 base is very nice and def an upgrade to the one u have. If you can somehow find them, I'd recommend them. The cost might be high though.

However, that still doesn't solve the issue that we are riding on soft aluminum base and the glide is still not smooth. You will have to keep a bottle of lubrication oil next to the machine and oil it after every 10-20 stringjobs.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The channels in the rails of the 602 look to be too wide for the aftermarket bases - they tend to fit the Pro's Pro/Eagnas rails.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have thought about changing the tracks on mine as they are crappy enough to be annoying. However, given the cost to retrofit and the potential issue with compatibility (height, track obstructing the end towers) and also unproven improvements, it is not worth it. It won't boost the resale value and in the end, might as well just go get a Alpha Ghost if I really get so sick of it.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Those bases plus rails will cost about the same than the whole Gamma 602FC machine.

What about getting a serious number of jobs done on the unmodded machine for starters? You'll get accustomed to a lot of things over time that might seem weird or not perfect in the beginning.

10. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

i see the point of views.

Bit of a LoL here, I appreciate all the replies.

for this specific one, its just a one off for me. not commercial.
    im more like looking for a small form factor everything i want in a stringing machine sort of thing. With Kaiju decals. (joke)

Dont for a minute take this the wrong way, i just want a small form factor machine thats works for me, bar none.

I would like everything i want available the way i would like it if possible.

Im just hoping i started out right.. and that im almost there.

I hope i put this in perspective.

#10 asmd6230, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    If the table top form factor is what you seek, you should look into the stringmaster / tennisman machines. they have the best looking spec.

khoai likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I fully understand that you want a compact machine, although a 602FC is kind of a standard sized table top machine.

And that’s why I said: First of all, start actually using it. Considering an upgrade like this before having done a single job on the machine just doesn’t make sense.
    Besides, the Gamma clamps and bases are fine, the auto-release function is a highly overrated feature imo. I’ve never really used it.

I don’t know how much stringing experience you have already acquired on other machines - but if you are still in the early stages of your stringing career, you will have a dozen other issues to tackle before you even think about the bases.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree with that. in fact, with abrasive diamond gripping surface and thin badminton string coating, it is a better practice to disengage the base first before disengaging the clamp. those auto-release base does exactly the opposite.

DarthHowie and s_mair like this.
  14. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

@s_mair, ive run about ten/twelve rackets through it since i set it up. Hence wanting some of the changes i mentioned. im a bit of a tinkerer.

Ive been stringing rackets for about 12 years now. non commercial.

@kwun - youre absolutely right. disengage base first before clamp. Already noticed that,. Would it make a difference to the string if done opposite, i dont know, but i do see it snag. WRT to auto release base, just thought it would be nice to have the option regardless if i end up using it or not. Cam lock would be nice though... my thumbs are getting on in years, Also the suggestion for stringmaster... well, that ship has since sailed. lol. Got the gamma. it is what it is. :)

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Base-first was drilled into me from the very beginning.

A clamp base doesn't quite stay where it's locked after the machine tension is released; it "recoils", and a force inside the clamp - at right angles to the string - is introduced. This will lead to a very friction-y release if an attempt is made to lower the clamp with the base locked.

I got auto-locking bases not for the auto-drop, but for the "latching" lock (no way to go too far, or not far enough) and the push-button release. Having said this, I found that the auto drop did work very well with the crosses, probably because the friction of the mains reduced the amount of recoil.

DarthHowie, s_mair and asmd6230 like this.
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is called the backlash. it is tough to eliminate given the geometry and the unavoidable tolerance for usability. even toyozuki has a couple mm of backlash. there is just no avoiding it. but there is a way to minimize it, instead of just closing the base clamp, nudge the clamp base toward the direction where the string will pull it after release, that will preload the clamp base and minimize the backlash.

however, that makes the string rubbing even worse since the clamp won't spring back after tensioning the next string.

so always release the base first before releasing the clamp.

#16 kwun, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    stringers are almost by definition tinkerers. that's partly why we are stringers. at least for the recreational ones. i don't know how may ppl do it for the job actually tinker with their machine (I know, @kakinami is the extreme, but @kakinami is not erm... the normal type. ;););))

yes, the higher model clamp Gamma base (that is in the 6004 etc) is actually very very nice. In fact, in terms of feel and usability, it is not any worse than Poorex or even Toyo. The only crap part about it is that they matched it to that stupid extruded aluminum base which dampens the whole experience.

s_mair and kakinami like this.
  18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IME backlash never made enough of a difference to bother trying to mitigate - some of it is subtracted when the next string is pulled, I think.

19. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

something learnt using a pros pro shuttle express with flying clamps and over thinking things.

It all averages out.

20. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

[​IMG]

While this is not a permanent fix, for those who need it, this is a bit of a fix.
    UHMW acrylic tape.
    I applied on where you can see it, but also, it should work just as well applies to the guide rail. Use your imagination.

So much smoother and no more metal on metal grinding noise.

Attached Files:

kwun likes this.