All The Best to our Australian Badminton Team @ Beijing 2008 !!!

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by chris-ccc, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Why don't we do well in Badminton? Answer, badminton is steriotyped in Australia as being a backyard sport and a girly sport. You grab a couple of rackets, tie some string between 2 trees and away you go, a great party activity!!

I coach 10 kids up here in Darwin and we are always last in line to get court space after Basketball, Netball and even Volleyball. Most Aussie blokes won't ever pick up a badminton racket because they think it's a girly sport, they'd rather football. Until this mentallity changes we will never be competitive at badminton.

We in no way need any international players to move here and play for us because we have the talent just not the interest, money or coaches needed to compete at a higher level.

On a positive note Badminton Australia has now got a Dutch influence with the head coach being an X Danish player. Because there is that link all we need is to get Peter Gade out here when he finally retires and we might be able to build from there.

Unfortuately, even although I love badminton and fully support our Olympic hopefulls we will be lucky to get any players into round 2 in any division, I hope they prove me wrong!!

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Good luck to Aussie team and hopefully PG will retires and settles down in Australia... :)

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    They can consider WCH also....

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Australian Badminton Team going to the Beijing Olympic Games on 1-Aug--2008

Just yesterday, Monday 14-Jul-2008, at our training camp in Melbourne, Tania Luiz told me that they will be departing Australia for the Beijing Olympic Games on Friday, 1-Aug-2008.

However, before going to Beijing, our Australian team will be taking part in the 2008 KLRC Australian International at Ballarat. For more info about this Australian International tournament at Ballarat, click here .

:):):)

5. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    oh Stuart! you're going to OG!!! All the best! And beware of ghosts ya! *laughs*

6. TAEID71

TAEID71 Regular Member

Student and Badminton player of Australia
    Yooo!!!

Eugenia Tanaka is my sis GSSSSSS...
    We didnt come here to play badminton at the first place, we came here for the education....then we found out that the competition here isnot that hard then we started playing seriously and yeah got our australian citizenship through badminton, n we didnt get something else so we not like singapore buying players from other country to play for them since they cant play badminton....i know australian badminton player would not go anywhere but we still have our uni degree compare to the indonesians or chinese that dont even go to secondary schoolll...so yeah...Get a life!!!

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Cool..^^

..you must be excited for your sis, then, TAEID71!:cool:..On that note, will you travel to the upcoming Olympics, as well??..:confused:

8. TAEID71

TAEID71 Regular Member

Student and Badminton player of Australia

errr..Probably not going since uni is starting soon and job as well....i think all the flights is fully booked now....

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You gotta be kiddin' me..all flights are booked??^^

..even the large, hunker of a plane of the A380 is fully booked, too??..:confused:..
    Anyway, it's okay. Lots of people, esp. baddy fans and BCers won't be going as well....:)
    *I'll try to meet & greet your sis (Eugenia Tanaka), if i have a chance to cross path with her (and the Aussie team)>>pending last minute confirmation of going, on my side..;):cool:

10. Heong

Heong Regular Member

All the best to Stuart Gomez of NSW!

Win us gold!

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Gary Tho (ex-Australia player) is currently residing in Singapore and playing (occassionally playing with us). Another Aussie lad also playing but I cant recall his name... :)

12. ZhangXi

ZhangXi Regular Member

Student
    But in China, those players are famous enough to sleep with fans and get on TIME Magazine. If that's not life, what would be?;)

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1819129_1819134_1825934,00.html

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

is gary tho related to another australian player, jeff tho>>?????

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

GOOD LUCK to our Australian Badminton Team flying to Beijing today

GOOD LUCK to our Australian Badminton Team flying to Beijing today.

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

u r very sharp george... yes, they are brothers... currently, Gary is playing regularly with me... I still trying hard to beat him :crying::crying::crying: Another Aussie ex-national player is Raymond who is also playing with me... very tough guy. so far we got 2-3 aussie ex-national players and few ex-SG national and few ex-Msia state players... 1 SG national player... all tough guys...

we r still trying to bring LCW to show up and let me do my "one-time" jumping smash... :D

Side note: Sri Lanka National players also in town (SG) and their top TWO single players played against us last week. We lost to them but beat other Sri Lanka players (Not national players).

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You have been unduly influenced by reading misinformation from sources who are being too personal and biased. :rolleyes:

Most of our foreign players were brought in when they were in their early teens and specially trained and developed to represent the country when they are ready. We don't buy all of them 'ready-made' from the shelf as you are suggesting.

Like your sister, our best male player, Ronald Susilo, came to Singapore to study as a teenager and stayed on to be trained as a professional player. He became a citizen in due course and has won honours in the international arena for Singapore.

Singapore has its own badminton record and its share of good badminton players. And I don't think we are behind Australia in terms of standard and exposure. You need to find out more of the truth. :D

#37 Loh, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  18. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

i am a bit confused, i thought only players who collected enough points or good enough ranks compete in the olympics, but tania luiz is not even in the top 100?

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yes...^^

..she's not ranked in the top 100 in the world, but as mentioned in the other thread (in Professional Players' sub-forum), one of the BWF's OG rules states that there should be a representative from each continent/region. They also take into consideration the Olympics' qualification points, garnered since last yr.
    Thus the inclusion of Ms. Luiz.:cool:

Please see this thread, under "Continental Representation", rule 3.3.8, for more clarification:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511
    And here, for the qualification pts:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58185

#39 ctjcad, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Tania LUIZ / Eugenia TANAKA were ranked 49th in the Womens Doubles as at 1-May-2008

metalmon1188 ... Tania LUIZ / Eugenia TANAKA were ranked 49th in the Womens Doubles (from BWF ranking, 1-May-2008).

And what ctjcad has posted is correct... In each event there shall be at least one player/pair from each of the five BWF Continental Confederations.

In the Womens Doubles, please find the number of pairs from each confederation listed below:
    Africa ................. 1
    Asia ................... 1+10
    Europe ............... 1+1
    Oceania ............. 1
    Pan America ...... 1

From the above list, you can see how Asia dominates Badminton.