All England 2008:Day 3 - 2nd Round (Mar 6)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by abedeng, Mar 5, 2008.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Well, the dust have settled after a lot of top guns went down .....

CHN lost XXF and ZN, the All-England title is up for grabs. We will see if JYJ, ZL, LL and WYH can recover from the loss of their seniors.

INA lost potential winners in XD and MD, including their world champs. And all their WS squad.

KOR lost their MS sting, women are still holding on.

MAS fare the worst, left with our top MS, top WS, top WD and Uncles ..... all other MS and MD pairs were shown the exit, including defending All-England champs. :eek:

DEN is probably least affected, lost only Lundgaard/Eriksen, but the rest still pull through.

In the PAWS sense, I had a 6-4 win loss record after the 1st day, not too shabby ...... :) Could have been better had Judith Meulendijks not lost steam.

2. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

What more can I say...signed in to find out that....what a disaster for us...only left LCW, WMC, WPT/CEH, Uncle LWW/CTF carrying MAS flag...

XXF, ZN, LHI, WCH, Roslin, PSH, LTS, Flandy/Vita, Jen/Lungaard, Kellogg/Emms out of the competition, too...

Especially my ZN...

3. Maximum

Maximum Regular Member

student
    oh no.... i jus woke up to look at the result... why like that? this is disaster... my ZN is out??? woo woo~ how can i spend the rest of my time today knowing that my ZN is out??? woo~woo~
    quite a number of top seeds went down... this is sad... :(

4. Maximum

Maximum Regular Member

student
    hmmm.... ZN seems to lack of motivation after XXF's defeat... so sad... I was hoping that after XXF's defeat, no one can stop ZN from taking the title...

5. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

sigh!!!!Sad rite..............ur ZN out, my ZN out, too...this is her last n final chance to grab the AE title....:mad:

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

What yr ZN, my ZN?! U guys joker la :p

7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  8. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

let me change yr n my to 'our'

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why ZN is being torned apart! :rolleyes:

To me the writing is already on the wall for ZN towards the last quarter of 2007. She has lost motivation and seems only interested in learning to be a good coach. May she achieve success as a coach. :)

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    To be fair, the NSS and better tournament prizes have both helped in giving all the players extra motivation to do well, gaps between top and 2nd level shuttlers are reducing ...... especially against CHN except in WD.

Anyway, my pick for today:-

WS:
    Yip Pui Yin vs Hwang Hye Youn - Yippie to take it based on her LCW-like abilities, Hwang is too tired
    Wong Mew Choo vs Jiang Yanjiao - 50-50, WMC has the ability, but Jiang won on their last encounter. If WMC wins, great!!! But not good for my PAWS.
    Zhu Lin vs Tine Rasmussen - 50-50, new leader for CHN WS squad must show her worth. Tine must emphasize that the CHN WS are not invincible.
    Pi Hongyan vs Anna Rice - Pi has the appetite to eat Rice
    Cheng SC vs Wang Chen - ex-WJC technique not as good
    Wang Yihan vs Lu Lan - could be walkover or walk in the park, for Lu Lan
    Jun Jae Youn vs Xu Huaiwen - could be close, Jun has advantage, she also has more fatigue
    Yao Jie vs Yu Hirayama - both had marathon matches yesterday, I'll pick Yu on account of her youth.

MS:
    Lin Dan vs Eric Pang - LD is happy that his nemesis is out of the way, what better way to celebrate than by thrashing Pang
    Sho Sasaki vs Kenneth Jonassen - the old guy that doesn't age will put Sasaki in his place
    Bao Chunlai vs Chen Yu - no reason for CHN to allow CY to win.
    Lu Yi vs Joachim Persson - youthful Chinese will want to impress LYB
    Shoji Sato vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Hey, it's a Sony
    Premizlaw Wacha vs Chen Jin - CJ to progress with some struggle
    Taufik Hidayat vs Nguyen Tien Minh - normally I would pick Taufik, but his pullout from charity event disappoints us all
    Lee Chong Wei vs Tommy Sugiarto - Tommy gets a free badminton lesson

11. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

concur............................

12. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Kawan..I am really sad when i saw the results this morning..:crying::crying::(..It was so bad for Mas camp..

13. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

Cheer-up you wake up tomorrow and u see a 100% success for MAS

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes sad for the players who are out but we still have LCW and the oldies, and WMC !;)

15. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Yup..Lets cheer for LCW,CTF/LWW and WMC...I really hope LCW to win the All England Champion..;)But i am still sad now..:(

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It was not too bad for Team INA, but, Kido/Hendra and Flandy/Vita's losses in the first round were seriously a hard blow for the chance to win a title now :eek::mad: Let's see if the other players have the mettle to go the distance now (esp Taufik Hidayat and Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir :cool:)

10:30am Lita Nurlita/Nitya Krishinda Maheswari vs Gao Ling/Zhao Tingting [5] -- bye bye for Lita/Nitya. Nevertheless, good experience gained in the 2 weeks European tour.

12:00pm Tommy Sugiarto vs Lee Chong Wei [2] -- likewise for young Tommy, gaining a valuable 3600 ranking pts after winning his first match in All-England's main draw! That will see his ranking on an upward trajectory to the top 50. Target will be top 25 for this year for Tommy! It will be a major shocker if Tommy were to topple LCW.

12:00pm Jo Novita/Greysia Polii vs Ha Jung Eun/Kim Min Jung -- a great result for Jo/Grace yesterday in their victory over the home pair, and they have a chance for another QF placement at a SS event.

12:20pm Simon Mollyhus/Anders Kristiansen vs Luluk Hadiyanto/Luluk Hadiyanto [8] -- another Danish opponent for Luluk/Alvent and I hope they can reach the QF, after Kido/Hendra's shocking loss. Of course, it will be a higher chance for them if Bach/Malaythong Khan were to repeat their shock victory over Choong/Lee :eek:

12:45pm Vita Marissa/Lilyana Natsir vs Chien Yu-Chin/Cheng Wen-Hsing [6] -- Vita/Butet have yet to convince me this year and with Vita's performance yesterday in the XD, I think Chien/Cheng will take this one again to extend their winning steaks over the INA pair.

1:05pm Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [5] vs Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man -- expect a thrilling contest, with Tony/Candra having the advantage.

1:30pm Shoji Sato vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro [6] -- a tricky one for Sony, but, it should be manageable.

6:50pm Shuichi Sakamoto/Shintaro Ikeda vs Hendra A. Gunawan/Joko Riyadi -- Koo/Tan's shocking loss will mean that AG/Joko have a chance to qualify for the QF or even further. But, AG/Joko are not playing that well either :cool:

8:00pm Nguyen Tien-Minh vs Taufik Hidayat [8] -- Taufik needs to be focused if he were to beat the much improved Vietnamese player.

8:20pm Kumiko Ogura/Reiko Shiota [7] vs Rani Mundiasti/Endang Nursugianti -- another Japanese pair for Rani/Endang means the end of the road for them as always. Ogura/Shiota have beaten Rani/Endang in two previous Super Series this year (Malaysia and Korea), at the same stage :eek::cool:

8:45pm Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir [2] -- another meeting between these 2 pairs. Nova/Butet won in rubber-sets the last time they meet in HK Open QF. It will be tight and exciting, with the Danish pair somewhat having a slight edge.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i am now hoping that lee chong wei/ wong mew choo and choong tan fook/lee wan wah will win their game 2day...
    after yesterday dissapointment..
    i am damn sad now...:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i hope 2day nguyen tien minh can spring a surprise for us..!

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Not sure how to react after day 1. A little speechless I guess. But the games go on and new stars are born. A trend has become clear (not the obvious one)–European players are very much in contention, and that's good for our beloved game.

WS
    So what happens without the bookends on the WS draw bracket? Will the next 2 highest seeds be able to survive? Not sure about ZL; I kinda fancy Tine's chances. I suspect LL will be given a free pass. Still lots of potential winners in the very competitive WS draw. My crystal ball tells me to expect more fireworks:
    Pui.Yin.Yip. over H.Youn.Hwang
    M.Choo.Wong. over Y.J.Jiang
    T.Rasmussen over Lin.Zhu
    Hongyan.Pi over Anna.Rice
    Chen.Wang over Shao.C.Cheng
    Lan.Lu over Yihan.Wang (suspicious circumstances alert)
    Jae.Youn.Jun over Huaiwen.Xu (Jun could break down from fatigue)
    Yu.Hirayama over Jie.Yao

MS
    Kinda ho-hum. Didn't create as much buzz as the WS although a couple of fancied names were toppled–lHI, PSH and Kendrick come to mind. Don't see much in the way of upsets. The 2 JPN players Sato and Sasaki are in marvelous form.
    Dan.Lin over Eric.Pang
    K.Jonassen over Sho.Sasaki (just)
    Chunlai.Bao over Yu.Chen (suspicious circumstances alert)
    Yi.Lu over J.Persson
    Sony.D.K over Shoji.Sato
    Jin.Chen over P.Wacha (not confident with this prediction)
    T.Hidayat over T.M.Nguyen (only if it's a 2 gamer)
    C.Wei.Lee over T.Sugiarto

20. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

ZN is too old or wore out for the competitions since sometime last year. It's time for her to retire. This is all natural, good or great players come and go as change of guards and torch gets passed on. Not sure what happened to XXF, maybe her injury was still handicapping her?