All About Djarum Indonesia Open Super Series Premier 2011(Photos,News,etc)

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by miksss, Jun 1, 2011.

1. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Yep! And it would be even fabolous if Reiko,Anastasia and other cuties using batik... :p:D

2. teojb

teojb Regular Member

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Batik

Javanese traditional batik, especially from Yogyakarta and Surakarta, has notable meanings rooted to the Javanese conceptualization of the universe. Traditional colours include indigo, dark brown, and white, which represent the three major Hindu Gods (Brahmā, Visnu, and Śiva). This is related to the fact that natural dyes are most commonly available in indigo and brown. Certain patterns can only be worn by nobility; traditionally, wider stripes or wavy lines of greater width indicated higher rank. Consequently, during Javanese ceremonies, one could determine the royal lineage of a person by the cloth he or she was wearing.

Other regions of Indonesia have their own unique patterns that normally take themes from everyday lives, incorporating patterns such as flowers, nature, animals, folklore or people. The colours of pesisir batik, from the coastal cities of northern Java, is especially vibrant, and it absorbs influence from the Javanese, Arab, Chinese and Dutch cultures. In the colonial times pesisir batik was a favourite of the Peranakan Chinese, Dutch and Eurasians.

UNESCO designated Indonesian batik as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity on October 2, 2009. As part of the acknowledgment, UNESCO insisted that Indonesia preserve their heritage.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batik

4. miksss

miksss Regular Member

have no idea... :D

5. touya

touya Regular Member

I think she is Sung Ji Hyun... :)

6. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    Sung Ji Hyun from Korea :)

7. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Red-Hot Doubles Pair Carries Indonesia's Hopes
    Ami Afriatni | June 21, 2011

Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir step into today’s first round of the Djarum Indonesia Open with a heavy burden on their shoulders.

No local shuttlers have won a title in the tournament, which is now a lucrative Super Series Premier event with a $600,000 purse, in the past two years. Indonesia’s top mixed doubles pair look like the best bet to end the drought.

While other local stars have faltered on the biggest stage, Tontowi and Liliyana have been on a roll. The pair, brought together last year after Liliyana’s longtime partner Nova Widianto withdrew from the national team, won the India Open in April and the Singapore Open on Sunday. They also claimed the Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold title last month.

Now, in front of expectant home fans, they want their Super Series hat-trick. The No. 4 seeds open play against South Korea’s Lee Yong-dae and Ha Jung-eun, whom they beat in Singapore’s quarterfinals, at Istora Gelora Bung Karno.

While Tontowi and Liliyana are in top form, national team head coach Christian Hadinata said they could not afford to be complacent.

“Yes, they are on top of their game, but I know it’s hard to maintain the same level of performances in two consecutive top tournaments,” Christian said. “They will feel bigger pressure that, if they don’t have the right mentality, could ruin their game.

“[Liliyana] will play an important role here because she’s the one who has more experience at the top level. She has to guide [Tontowi] so they will stay on the right track.”

A Super Series Premier tournament, he continued, provides among the toughest challenges in badminton as those events are mandatory for shuttlers in the top 10 of their division.

“This is a big event, so they have to be ready for bigger challenges,” Christian said.

Read the full article at : http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/red-hot-doubles-pair-carries-indonesias-hopes/448306

8. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Excitement Builds at Djarum Indonesia Open
    Ami Afriatni | June 22, 2011

It was just the first round of the Djarum Indonesia Open on Wednesday, but the turnout at Istora Gelora Bung Karno in Jakarta already had the feel of the final round.

Some 7,000 fans packed the stadium, and one female supporter couldn’t help letting out a scream as she caught a glimpse of her favorite shuttler.

Badminton trails only football as the country’s favorite sport, so it’s no surprise fans came in droves to an elite tournament like the $600,000 Indonesia Open.

In addition to supporting their countrymen, who have not won a title in their local tournament in two years, Indonesian fans have also shown affection for foreign players like Saina Nehwal.

Since Nehwal’s debut at the Indonesia Open in 2009, local supporters have developed a soft spot for India’s top women’s singles shuttler because she seems to have found a way to break the dominance of Chinese shuttlers, Indonesia’s top rivals in the sport.

After winning in 2009 and defending her title last year, Nehwal is looking for a third victory on Sunday. The 21-year-old said she did not want to disappoint the Jakarta crowd.

“I miss playing in Indonesia. I make sure to come here every year. I appreciate the kind of support I get, especially after I won my first Super Series here,” Nehwal said after defeating Linda Zechiri of Bulgaria 21-12, 21-10 in her opener on Wednesday.

However, homegrown shuttlers still stand to benefit from home-court advantage.

Taufik Hidayat, the country’s top men’s singles shuttler, said it was important for his teammates not to waste that support.

A victory by Taufik on Sunday would give him an unprecedented seventh Indonesia Open title. He is currently tied with Indonesian legend Ardy B. Wiranata with six championships.

“The tournament is getting more competitive, so I’ll have to push myself harder,” Taufik said.

“It’s important for me to play my best in front of our fans, who’ve been very supportive.”

More at : http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/excitement-builds-at-djarum-indonesia-open/448502

9. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Shuttlers share good times at dinner party
    Niken Prathivi, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Thu, 06/23/2011 8:00 AM

It was all batik on the night before the main draw of the 2011 Djarum Indonesia Open Superseries Premier badminton championships.

The Tuesday night welcome party for all shuttlers participating in the US$600,000 tournament, looked similar to Indonesia’s Friday office hours with most partygoers including players wearing batik clothing.

The Javanese-themed party was held by the pool at Hotel Sultan in Central Jakarta. All participating athletes and VIPs, such as the Indonesian Olympics Committee (KOI) chairwoman Rita Subowo and fashion designer Oscar Lawalata, were seen mingling at the event.

Others chose to enjoy the international dishes by the poolside.

World No. 1 and top seed in the event Lee Chong Wei gave extra credit to the host country in organizing the dinner party with local flavor.

“I think it’s good that Indonesia holds this gathering to promote its culture, especially for first-timer shuttlers at the Indonesia Open,” Chong Wei said at the party on Tuesday evening, lauding Indonesia for upgrading the annual tournament in both prize money and court quality.

Lee and nine other shuttlers wore batik (Indonesian traditional hand-made clothing) shirts or dresses by Oscar Lawalata.

“The batik shirt is OK,” Lee said with a smile.

Oscar, a prominent young fashion designer, said he produced five shirts and five dresses for the athletes.

“I was asked to create those clothes about a month and a half ago. I agreed because I’d like to promote Indonesian culture through sports,” said the 33-year-old.

“Most European athletes like the batik,” he added.

The revelers were entertained by MCs wearing Arjuna and Srikandi costumes (both famous characters in the Mahabrata Indonesian-style puppet show epic), and dancing.

Meanwhile, some athletes had the opportunity to make their own shuttlecocks.

World No. 5 in men’s singles Peter Hoeg Gade and world number nine Tine Baun of Denmark seemed to be getting serious.

“We were a little slow to make the shuttlecocks,” said Gade.

Meanwhile when Baun was asked on whether making shuttlecocks or playing badminton was easier, she said “I’m glad I play [badminton].”

The gathering ended with Lotte Jonathans of the Netherlands winning a dangdut dance competition

More at : http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/06/23/shuttlers-share-good-times-dinner-party.html

#129 miksss, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Fans catch Lee Yong-dae fever
    The Jakarta Post | Thu, 06/23/2011 8:00 AM

Throngs of young girls brandish cardboard signs with Lee Yong-dae’s name written in Hangul alphabets, but they are not Korean; they are Indonesian.

The thundering cheers of some 4,000 spectators at Wednesday’s main round opening match in the Djarum Indonesia Open Super series Premier badminton championship between mixed duo Liliyana Natsir/Tontowi Ahmad and South Korean Lee Yong-dae/Ha Jung-eun exceeded everyone’s expectations.

“Honestly, it was a dilemma for me. I was so confused about who to support. I love Lee Yong-dae, but I also was wishing for Indonesia to win,” 17-year-old Arfa Atussholihah told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday at Istora Senayan Jakarta.

“In the end, of course, I shout my lungs out for Indonesia and quietly cheer whenever Yong-dae scores
    a point, because I feel nervous among the other spectators,” she said, giggling.

A student at SMA 90 Pesanggrahan in South Jakarta, Arfa has been a fan of the good-looking Yong-dae since his first appearance for the South Korean team at the 2008 Thomas Cup men’s team championship in Jakarta. That year, Korea finished second, losing to China 1-3 in the final.

The 22-year-old Korean star, who is half of the world number two men’s doubles pair along with Jung Jae-sung, has already collected a bag-full of medals, including the Beijing Olympics mixed doubles gold with his former partner Lee Hyo-jung and silver and bronze medals from the Guangzhou and Doha Asian Games and the World Championships.

Arfa was not Yong-dae’s only die-hard fan in attendance.

During the last 18 months, Indonesian youngsters have been struck by a wave of Korean pop culture, which includes not only Korean TV dramas but also Korean pop music icons such as the Korean quartet, 2AM, singers San E. and Joo, girl group Miss A. and Kim Hyung Joon, a member of the boy band, SS501, just to name a few.

Thus, the enthusiasm for the so-called K-pop culture added spice for those hungry to see the Korean badminton team members — not only Yong-dae but also the rising mixed doubles star, Ko Sung-hyun, and men’s singles shuttler Park Sung Hwan, to name a few.

“Yong-dae is so charming and he plays so well,” said Nadiah Khansa, a student at SMA 28 of East Jakarta. She came to the venue with her schoolmates, Fairuz Hanifah and Hayah Afifah, and they all shared a common interest in Korean pop music.

Asked if they liked K-pop or Yong-dae first, the girls screamed in unison, “Yong-dae!”

“We definitely liked him first. Then, as K-pop hit Indonesia, we joined our friends who liked the music,” said Nadiah, while proudly showing off blurry photos of she had taken of Yong-dae walking past after losing the mixed doubles match on Wednesday.

The girls acknowledged that their enthusiasm for Yong-dae spanned more than just attending all of
    his matches in Jakarta, but also meant following updates of Yong-dae’s breakup with his girlfriend via social media such as Twitter and Multiply.

Later on Wednesday, Yong-dae and his men’s doubles pair Jung Jae-sung met unseeded Chinese pair Liu Xiaolong and Qiu Zihan for their last chance to advance in the US$600,000 championship.

Having completed their high school exams and enjoying homework-free life, the girls pledged to stay for the late match.

Tournament director Mimi Irawan acknowledged the Lee Yong-dae fever, saying, “People used to come to watch Taufik [Hidayat]. Now they want to see Yong-dae. The atmosphere now is more like a concert than a badminton championship. Just look at all the youngsters in the audience.”

Mimi added that Lee Yong-dae fever is not the only reason for rise in attendance.

“The audience also came to see the Indonesian pair that won the Singapore Open [Liliyana and Tontowi]. The hype is definitely here, partly because our preevent promotional activities and that fact that it is a school holiday,” Mimi said.

In the end, it might seem like a battle between the allure of so-called K-pop culture and sports nationalism, and the winner of Wednesday’s battle was, to the national athletes’ delight, nationalism.

Asked whether they were disappointed to see the Korean pair crushed by the Indonesian pair, Arfa said, “Not at all. I’m glad Liliyana and Tontowi made it through to the next round.”

Yong-dae was not available for comment, as he declined to hold a press conference after losing, saying briefly, “I can’t speak English.”

More at : http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/06/23/fans-catch-lee-yong-dae-fever.html

11. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Putting it briefly: Journalists enjoy foot massages
    The Jakarta Post | Thu, 06/23/2011 8:00 AM

JAKARTA: Three foot massage machines from World Badminton Federation sponsor OSIM massager are set up around the media center of the Djarum Indonesia Open Superseries Premier badminton tournament at the Istora sport center in Central Jakarta, providing media members with a taste of luxury.

“The massagers give a different feel to this year’s Open. Those things are really relaxing, keeping us fresh for our tight working schedule,” Topskor journalist Putra Permata Tegar said on Wednesday, adding that last year’s event lacked the machines.

Meanwhile, Jawa Pos journalist Muhammad Amjad said that a 15-minute electric massage brought great comfort to his feet. “My feet feel lighter. It’s a great thing.”

Despite the little diversion, however, journalists covering the Open faced discomfort, too, when the electricity went off for about 10 minutes — a common occurrence in the capital. Some personal computers had their own power supplies, but others were not so lucky. With the high-level tournament, organizers tried their best to provide all parties involved in the event with complete facilities. — JP

More at : http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...-briefly-journalists-enjoy-foot-massages.html

12. miksss

miksss Regular Member

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I love that line!!! It only means good things for badminton! Thank you Indonesia! :)

14. oasis123

oasis123 Regular Member

Anyone find the orange floor TOO bright to look at? When it combines with all the big red 'Djarum' signs in the stadium, it's just very uncomfortable... Are 'orange' or 'red' considered as lucky colours in Indonesia?

#134 oasis123, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Contrary to the accusation of unprofessionalism of the tournament organizer, these articles above are proof that the crowds are turning out in huge numbers, even for the first day of the main draw. The other off-field events held were also successful and brought badminton even closer to the INA fans.

I hope the INA GPG event to be held later this year can also follow suit. It's a bit hard for the players though since it's held at Samarinda, not exactly a shopping haven, unlike the Istora Senayan is near many major shopping malls!

16. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yup, thank you :)
    Hope that I have good connection :D

17. miksss

miksss Regular Member

another pictures from round1

Taufik-di-tantang-rubber-set.jpg Bona-sigap-ambil-kok.jpg

18. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Watching the photos and news, it looks so good for badminton. Frankly speaking Indonesia Open makes badminton so alive. Hope I visit the event someday and be part of this energy:)

19. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Tine Baun : Indonesian spectators is crazy

According to Tine, every time she playing in Indonesia she certainly would find the atmosphere of the game is different than elsewhere.

"The supporters is crazy until I can not hear the coach. But it's exciting," said Tine to reporters after the match in Senayan, Jakarta, Wednesday, June 22, 2011.

http://tempointeraktif.com/hg/raket/2011/06/22/brk,20110622-342596,id.html

20. miksss

miksss Regular Member