Airblade 2000 VS Ti-10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Pete, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Pete

Pete Guest

Has anyone own a Carlton Airblade 2000? How does it compare to Ti-10? Also, know where to get it in Hong Kong?

I also read reports that the Airblade 2000 got problems with breaking apart at the handle. Is that the case out there?

Thanks for anyone's inputs

2. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    I tried this but found it far too light in the head. The Ti-10 has more head weight and is better balanced. I guess if you can learn to control a light racket like the Airblade 2000 you can do better net kill, drives, maybe deceptive shots are easier. The advertising claims it is more aerodynamic than the slim-10 but because it is so head light there didn't seem to much power in the smash. I haven't found a racket more suitable and well balanced than the carbonex range. I just wish Yonex would release carbonex-21 in the UK again.

P.S I wish Yonex would stop making rackets with the titanium mesh on the side. It's purely cosmetic. In fact it weakens the frame.
    Yonex just release rackets with the 'latest technology' step by step making people want the latest model. They probably have the next ten models ready to produce but they won't be made until they squeeze all the money they can out the current range. I don't see any reason to use anything other than carbonex until something truely advanced comes out. Sorry to go on....but these racket are expensive and break regularly !

What do other people think ? Yonex make the best rackets but are they ripping us off ?

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Paul, are you serious about the Titanium making the racket frame weaker? I'm not too sure about that but i think all this stuff about Titanium Mesh composite and ultra high modulous graphite doesn't really make much of a difference coz i think its more of a psychological thing.

But i do like the idea of increasing the length. IT makes it so much easier to smash.

If you feel that Yonex is ripping you off then try and look for those imitation Yonex rackets...... THeir not bad and much cheaper. Like i use a Yonex Ti-10 and when i need a back up racket i keep my Fleet Ti-100 Swing Power in handy. Its an imitation of the Yonex Isometric Ti Swing Power SA model but with an even more flexible shaft. Might be hard to find in the UK though. Even here in Singapore. But if you go to Taiwan, their everywhere.

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    While I really don't know whether Titanium mesh is good or bad, I do think there are a lot of good racquets from Yonex (including both old and new models) other than the Carbonex range, e.g. ISO 800, Ti-10.

In my opinion, Ti-10 (but not other racquets in the Ti series) is truely advanced in compare with old Yonex racquets, even it does it at the expense of giving up something else (such as control, speed in defense). It's true that it doesn't fit all players and probably not suitable for all kinds of games, but it can really generate substantial more power than most other racquets.

On the other hand, I do agree that a lot of new models from Yonex didn't bring too much surprise to us. However most products for consumer market are similar, e.g. camera, car, Hi-Fi, shoes, etc. I'm not sure whether Yonex has already have the design for the next 10 models ready, but I do think most manufacturers just cannot wait until something "truely advanced" come out to release a new product - this is really a marketing issue. At the end, these companies need to earn money, right ? For professional players like Cheung and yourself, I believe you can judge whether a new model is just a gimmick or something "truely advanced".

Of course, I'm also looking for something "really truely advanced" come out - a racquet which is as power as Ti-10 but have the same degree of control as ISO 800. Someone told me that the new model from Mizuno is such as racquet (only available in Japan, but can be ordered from HK) - but I've no chance to verify it so far.

5. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I haven't tried Airblade 2000 but I've tried Airblade AS-1, which is a newer and higher model than Airblade 2000 (very little information about this racquet on the Web).

AS-1 is a light racquet with heavy head design. It is a very powerful racquet - the one I used was strung with Carlton High Tension string at 24 lbs (manufacturer said that it can strung up to 40 lbs, but I believe no one will try it !) - I found it almost as powerful as my Ti-10 (if you really need me to weight, I'll say Ti-10 is more powerful). On the other hand, AS-1 is less stiff (doesn't give me the feeling of "stiff") and apparently easier to control than Ti-10, although still not match something like ISO 800.

For durability, really no idea. However please note that even the AS-1 is much cheaper than the Ti-10.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I just used my Fleet Ti-100 Swing Power again today for only the 2nd time. I realised that this racket and the Yonex Ti-10 go well together if your opponent is really that bad. They don't mix. If ya want rackets that go well together. Check out the Yonex Ti-8 and the Winex Ti-8. Their good rackets.......

Fleet is better for more defensive doubles players........

7. Peter

Peter Guest

Hi Ricky,

Do you know where I can get the AS-1? and how much? Is it available in Hong Kong . . . North America?

8. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Not in Hong Kong. The one I used was bought in Taiwan (ChungKing South Road) at ~NTD 2,400.

9. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I found the racquet in HK tonight at Mongkok (although not easy to find). It is sold for HK$580.

Honest speaking, Carlton is a very unpopular brand in this region of the world (even more people buy ProKennex). However at this price, I think it is really a good buy.