AirBadminton - A New Way to Play Badminton Outdoor

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, May 13, 2019.

?

What do you think?

1. Awesome!

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Not for me...

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Since here in Malaysia we can play badminton outdoor already so i'm going to wrap my Apacs Tantrum 200 racket frame with iron wire and change my BG66 string with fishing lines before start playing Airbus.....Airwolf......sorry...Airshuttle

2. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    Maybe the aluminium frame leisure centre rackets would actually be quite good for this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

According to Gronya Somerville latest Q&A on her Instagram stories, the air shuttles "aren't that good" and they "break strings really quickly".

4. LewLewZ

LewLewZ New Member

I have bought a tub of the airshuttle to play with (it was available for sale couple weeks back here in Hong Kong),
    the shuttlecock is hard as rock and its really not pleasant to play with, I bought a taobao training racket (those solid color 100 RMB ones) and stringed with BG65 18lbs, its okay to play some drives outdoor but really it doesn't feel good to play at all, and you wouldn't want to get hit by one of them its soooooooooooooo painful

sokol250 likes this.
  5. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I guess when they say "the new outdoor game" they really mean "new"! It's not, as we probably all hoped, simply a shuttle that allows us to play the game that we all know and love, outside :-(

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Rules were altered for outdoor Air Badminton so I'm not surprised it is played differently because of the shuttle. What I find myself disliking is the fact shuttles are breaking strings and even rackets rather easily according to several players ranging from pro to amateurs.

That seems a bit like we are the test field of that air shuttle and the whole concept wasn't very well planned or launched on the market. May be they could have plan a new racket with a specific string for example but I guess they just wait manufacturers do so. Either way it's not fully ready yet. It's got potential but they should be careful not to frustrate people who would then give it up quickly and spread negative comments about it.

Conceiving a new product to reach more people is a very good idea (and needed for badminton) imo but it has to be done wholeheartedly and properly. In France the shuttles won't be available before mid June or July. That's more than a year after the air shuttle has been marketed. I kinda lost interest in it after all this time and seeing how people break their string or racket and I'm not so enthusiastic either...

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

8. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Yeah, you are totally right. On my youtube review video about the airshuttle someone said that I was too critical and I didn't know how to properly play the game, therefore I should wait until I have more experience before I can give a proper review. But I see the BWF at fault that I don't know how to play they game. They had A YEAR to promote this sport before we could even buy the shuttles (much less the special net and markers) and they did nothing. They should have had exhibition matches on the beach or in parks, they should have had different high ranked players in different countries playing games which they broadcasted on youtube so we could all see what a game looks like and show us how it could be fun or different from just a normal outdoor game.

But they totally half assed launched it, and they are still showing the same heavily edited promo videos from over a year ago. Also, there are a lot of reports of the shuttles breaking very easily, after 30-40 minutes of play. So, breaking rackets, breaking shuttles...who can afford this new version?! lol.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

One club I belong to has just received the shuttles, so hopefully I get to try it soon. I'll be sure to bring a spare racquet!

10. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Hi guys,

Is there any official rules document issued by BWF for this game? like the regular badminton?

11. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

mobin2012 likes this.
  12. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer