Advices needed for Newbie/intermediate, Idk . [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by minhvo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. minhvo

minhvo Regular Member

Hello fellas!

Background:
    I had played in Vietnam for a year or so then moved to the U.S, in which badminton is not really popular... . I dropped the sport for a month, played after christmas and new year which I did not work out whatsoever during the season :( (shame on me).

Anyway, I noticed my skill dropped considerably as well as my stamina (for the first time I have to catch my breath during a game).

So I recorded this to have feedbacks on my game since it's too expensive to play here, and the coaching is out of my budget currently ($50/hr). IDK if I should pursue the sport anymore. :(

[video=youtube;k9zd2R8povI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zd2R8povI[/video]

P/s: Never mind the editing, I do it for the sake of fun :D, also I cut the in-between moments for viewers.

Pp/s: 2 mistakes that I realized during review.
    _ I did not hold the racket up after smashing.
    _ I was not really quick around court. ( yea... christmas, thanksgiving got me fat)
    _ I think my serves are a little bit high, could be illegal, idk but I see pros do that all the time.

Anything else guys?

2. minhvo

minhvo Regular Member

Hold on, i'm the guy in blue, blue shirt, blue short, blue racket, ... Red shoes

3. sebZeroToHeroes

sebZeroToHeroes Regular Member

Sports video review platform dev
    Hey!

First, very good job posting this here :) And very nice of you to have edited the video beforehand, it makes watching and reviewing much easier.

My comments:

* You should rotate your body more when you hit. Your preparation is very good (at 00:45 the form is clearly good) but you hit only with your arm. You end up with your shoulders parallel to the net (00:46). As a result you probably lack strength and you're slower to get back in position
    * Your service at 00:55 looks fault (you take the shuttle above your waist), but I can't really be sure from this angle. Just watch out :). Also, when you serve low, you want to be in an attacking position. Your placement is good (at the net, putting pressure forward) but your racket is low. So when your opponent counter drops, you have to lift the shuttle instead of being more aggressive. Remember: at the net, keep your racket up, always!
    * Not something really critical, but try to lift the shuttle only when really necessary. For instance at 1:03, your opponent isn't putting pressure at the net, so you could simply counter-drop to keep the attack.
    * When the shuttle is cleared on your side in the center (1:35), it's usually the forehand guy who hits it, unless you have defined a different strategy. This kind of convention lets you avoid the biggest misunderstandings
    * You're generally a bit flat-footed when waiting for the shuttle. If you don't know how to split-step, try to stand a bit more on your toes. It will make your movement more explosive, and you'll be quicker on the court
    * Your backhand movement seems a bit awkward (eg 02:09). I know it's a difficult technical move, so it will come with practice.
    * At 2:17 there's a better attempt at rotating your whole body, but it's still too little. The rotation should be something that helps you generate power, and here you're still hitting only with your upper body
    * On your smash, it looks like you're collapsing a bit at the end of your stroke (eg 2:39) - your shoulders seem to slump. Maybe it's just the camera angle that gives this impression though

You seem to have a good racket technique, and you understand doubles positioning. Definitely not newbie level :)
    I'd say the two things you should work on are:

* using your body more - rotate when you hit the shuttle, and work on your footwork
    * be more aggressive (in doubles) - lift the shuttle only when you absolutely have to. Playing net games can be a good way to improve your confidence in your net shots. And once you know that you have good net shots, you'll lift the shuttle a lot less :)

Hope this helps, and have fun playing!

PS: would you mind if I re-uploaded the video on Zero to Heroes? I would have loved to highlight some precise moments from the comments and sequences in slow-mo, but find it difficult to do on forums + YouTube.

4. minhvo

minhvo Regular Member

First of all, thank you so much for a very elaborative feedback. Your points are really hitting the nails. I think the reason my smashes are not much of rotations is the influence I got from a coach back in Vietnam. He said it is Korean style which is quick smashes, quick returns to the base, and always trying to push forward. Korean badminton is kinda efficient like that and since they are number 1 in men doubles right now, why not learn from them, haha. But yeah, it's been a while and my skills are not that sharp anymore.

Your comment made me realize I still do those bad habits ( such as no split steps) unconsciously. Thank you very much, definitely try to improve body rotation and split steps.

Yes, you can have the video, should I send the original for you or you are ok with download from youtube, keepvid.com allows you to download straight from youtube with HD quality.

5. sebZeroToHeroes

6. minhvo

minhvo Regular Member

So I just came back from the club, like you said. I tried to rotate my body more. But I played terribly cause I have focused so much on my body rotation and correct movement. I jump smashed with body rotation beautifully just like the clip you shown on zero to heroes, but all of my smashes are flat, and into the net.
    Any suggestions ?

7. sebZeroToHeroes

Practice :)
    Every new move takes time to learn, especially in a very timing-sensitive sport like badminton.

I'd try first to focus on the legs. Make sure that when you prepare the stroke they are perpendicular to the net, with the left leg in front (if you're right-handed), and when you finish the stroke they are also perpendicular to the net, but with the left leg behind. This will naturally put your upper body in motion, and gives you only one thing to focus on.

Also, you can (and should) practice that without any shuttle first (shadowing).

8. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Take time to actually practise. And by that I mean if you're only playing games at your club, book a court at a different time and just practise shots/drills. You'll learn it a lot quicker and your technique will be better because you'll be 100% focused on getting the shot rather than winning the point.