Advice for newbie Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by vaios, Feb 9, 2012.

1. vaios

vaios New Member

Hello all!
    I haven'tplayed badminton until few weeks ago, when my friend invited me to go with him and play. After that great game, i became fan of badminton.

Of course first thing i need i my own racket. And here - i haven't imagine there are so many factors to concider when buying...

I have talked to few experts and a lot of 'experts'. Ans guess what... I how very different opinions and also some contra others.

Well i have to say i am buying racket for beginner. I have found some good offer but need some details.
    On Talbot Torro ISO 311 i have options...

Which strings to choose:
    [​IMG]

and which hardness: 8 - 12kg?

I have read that lower kg, faster ball, but less control. So what do you suggest for beginner?

Much appreciated!
    Thank you
    V.

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    hmm.. Talbot Torro ISO 311:
    mid balance, mid shaft
    very medium so it seems lol..

for string, your preference really, I don't know about the rest, but I would go for BG80, NBG 98, or zymax 70 (if the zymax 70 is the newest generation)

for tension, go for 20-22 lbs (9.1-10 kgs)

lower tension = better trampoline effect, which means stronger feedback or power
    of course the bad thing would be, it is hard to measure the effect, so professionals prefer high tension racket for better accuracy

don't forget to buy a good grip, buy karakal PU super grip (a replacement grip)

3. vaios

vaios New Member

Hello Avenger,
    thank you for your honest opinion.

Maybe you can suggest me some better racket for up to 50€ (70$)?

kind regards,
    V.

4. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I recently bought 2 new rackets - first time i played, straight from the shop, I thought they were awful couldn't even clear one end to the other. Got them restrung with BG65Ti @ 22lbs and they are transformed- great power and touch. I didn't think 3-4 lbs would make such a difference.

As you are new at this I would go for the cheapest good brand string , if you decide in a few months you don't like it bored etc you won't have wasted a lot of money.

The other way i look at it is -
    1) I am not good/experienced enough to be able to tell the difference between a lot of rackets.
    2) I don't want to plough loads of money into a hobby
    3) I don't 'trust' the people I play doubles with and hence won't spend mega bucks on a racket that may get damaged in a clash..

hope some of that helps
    Rich

5. kiradeathnote

kiradeathnote Regular Member

student
    First of all good choice for playing badminton. As for your questions.

What raquet to go for? Find an average light racket you can buy at any sport store. Like yonex isomatric zeta or something. They are not expensive and good for beginners. Once you play longer badminton you will develop some style of playing. After then choose one that fix your playstyle.

Tension for me it's about what kind of shuttle you play often. Feather it's like around the 10 - 11 kilo. Cuz you can feel the shuttle more. For nylon shuttle i would go for around the 8 - 9 kilo to get the trampoline effect cuz it's harder to give a nice clear with nylon.

As for the strings. I think dont bother to much about that go for a string that's .70 mm and your good to go.

hope this helps you.

greetzz..

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

Sorry I duno what brand n model of racket u can get at your place. But as a guide, for newbie dun spend too much on racket until u advance further. But it's best u spend on a good pair of shoe to prevent injuries to your limbs. Afterwhich when u r better, u will automatically prefer to get better rackets. Happy playing. Cheers

7. vaios

vaios New Member

Thank you also rich, kiradeathnote and a|extan for your replies.

I think i would go for
    Talbot Torro ISO 311 + BG65Ti for beginning. Price for this combination is 35,90€ so i think it is not some really cheap crap, but for now it will be good.

As most of you suggested, later i am sure something better (and more expensive) will be option :).

Thank you for start-up support. I am sure i will become real Badminton fan ;)
    V.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#8 demolidor, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. vaios

vaios New Member

Hello demolidor,
    can you be more specific? Germany is no problem for me, we are all in EU :)

V.

10. vaios

vaios New Member

Aha, last saturday i played with Carlton 4000 (or simmilar), but i think it was basic racket. I think what you told me is better. What is for example + (pros) against Torro?

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Probably not the best recommendation that linked one but just to show what you can get at this price range. Apparently it feels very light (too light/ too light balanced) ...

Talbot Torro is just not a well known brand and mostly only cheap models but it could posssibly very well do the job for now and you get to choose the string + tensions so that is a plus at this stage for sure. Restring will probably cost €15 or so so you have already "saved" that much if you were to get the Torro. At this stage I suppose it doesn't matter too much as long as it is a bit allround.
    I don't have any particular store in mind, well maybe the Ulrich Schaaf for some cheap Victor sales if they have any, but the shipping to Slovakia apparently costs €30 there!?
    I guess I just like to maximize the model you can get at this price level :D. www.ebay.de and search for badmintonschläger

#11 demolidor, Feb 13, 2012
  12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#12 demolidor, Feb 13, 2012
  13. vaios

vaios New Member

Hehe, thank you. I always sent to Austria. Much much cheaper :))

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    After buying racquet, you need to buy a proper badminton shoes to prevent injuries.