Adidas Badminton returns - interview and information

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have a couple of racquets to review. I need a few sessions before I write the review.

2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I hope they will make Boost badminton shoes.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

SSSSNT likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have one which is not on this list.

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

So there are four types? As a German, I want to guess what the names are aiming at...
    Spieler (player) -> all-round
    Stilistin (female stylist) -> that one is hard, but probably aimed at female players, probably a lightweight range
    Uberschall (Überschall - supersonic) -> speed / aerodynamic frame, maybe just headlight
    Wucht (impact/weightiness/... something referring to kinetic energy) -> head heavy, that one looks fairly obvious

Maybe this helps the not German speaking people ;) although I think it's funny that we cannot get those rackets in Germany.

visor and phihag like this.
  6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I wouldn't have a clue what that would be :p

Thanks. I really don't know about Adidas racquets those are just the ones they've started selling. I thought the names were just names rather than describing each racquet's characteristics

7. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Great names! It's hard to translate their feeling into English, but here's my attempt:
    • Player F09, P09, A09, W09
    • Fashionista W5
    • Süpersonic F1, F5
    • Brunt P1, P3, P6, P8

speCulatius likes this.
  8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I'd be more inclined to say Brawn or Power for the last one.

Japan should be OK with german racket names, but I'm not sure about the other countries. I expect it to be a little strange in Korea, for example.

It's also interesting to note the Player series re-using the P-F-W naming scheme.
    I'm guessing the F09 will be an elite Uberschall, and the A09 maybe 'all-round'?

9. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

@phihag is right. If Überschall is supersonic, Uberschall must be süpersonic. Good one. I disagree with brunt for Wucht though. It's difficult to translate, isn't it? It certainly does refer to either the kinetic energy of the momentum and probably to an impact.

phihag likes this.
  10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Ok so from the store info, it seems that W designations are for ladies. Specifically, the Spieler W09 and the Stilistin W5, and they're both pink. I have to say though, I don't get why adidas would specifically separate racquets for men and women. IMO both genders can play with the same racquets.

Pics:

Cap2.PNG

Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A friend of mine talked several years ago to many sponsored players. Also to Fabian Roth, Viktor Axelsen and other players who got sponsored by Adidas in the past. Their contract for pro players were catastrophic in the past. I hope they fixed it.

This friend also had a connection to Adidas. I strung a bunch of different adidas rackets for him and also got my hands on the stuff. The quality was good. I don't want to blame, but marketing and everything else was not good.

AFAIK it is just a sharing of the name, like for german electronics which were bought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past the Adidas badminton stuff was outsourced to a company in Kowloon. If I got it right it is again a name issue and Adidas didn't decided to make Badminton stuff, just somebody got the license for their name?

12. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Agreed. But perhaps they believe that ladies will pick rackets by color, or believe they need different rackets then men. Anecdotally, incredibly this marketing strategy seems to sometimes work; I have seen people (of both genders though) pick rackets by color, and have seen girls&women cite pink color.

I maintain that against some opponents (especially the kind @Borkya writes very good long blog posts about), if you bring a pink racket to a serious Men's Singles match, it's worth 5 points per game due to them raging and being distracted.

Cheung likes this.
  13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Oh I definitely agree with this. Sometimes color is more important than anything else for the ladies. The thing is though, they could easily just market all racquets without gender specifications, even though probably more ladies would pick a pink racquet compared to men.

On a separate note, I can't stand the three stripes at the top of the frames.. I usually like the three stripes from adidas but for some reason they just look so ugly on racquets.

14. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Makes it easier to string though :p

DarkHiatus and Cheung like this.
  15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What about the issue that people pick adidas rackets, because of the name adidas and not of the fact that they make decent rackets? People are not only sucker for colours, they are also biased towards brands. Or guys who play unsuitable rackets because of their idols or the stealth color (e.g. ZFII;)) or because special specs are more masculine/female and a sign for strength/weakness? Or because of product promises like a 1.5% harder smash and so on? No player pick 100% independent and right and not only the girls/women. Colours have in different cultures different meanings. It's not just the western thing, that pink is the color of women and gay men. If you do a research in terms of history and colours, blue was THE COLOUR for women and pink/red for boys/men not more than 100 years ago. Humans are so easy to get manupulated.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So what about it?

Sales is all about persuasion.

17. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Speaking of ridiculous marketing, did you hear about Doritios making a "lady chip" that crunches less loud when you eat it?! So there is worse marketing than rackets for women. ;) Although I agree it's not necessary, I could see how a woman just picking up the game would think she needs a "womans racket" so there probably is a market for it.

In China there are a ton of guys walking around with bright pink rackets, baby blues, etc. Me and my coach often argue because he likes the bright cute colors where I prefer black or dark blue. For some reason he thinks it's cool, so our club ends up with pink and purple club shirts.

I also met the Adidias guy with Cheung this week and of course I'll be writing about it on my blog. After the spring festival holiday I'll be getting an adidias racket to try as well and I'll let you know what I think. Although, to be honest, I am not at all an expert on rackets. But I am an expert on my own opinion so I'm sure I'll have a lot to say, haha.

phihag likes this.
  18. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Hi! Can you give some more information?
    I really need something with maximum cushioning, grip and as wide as possible.
    But all I could find was unisex model, they are not wide :(

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

All I can tell you is that the UltraBoost material works great in my running shoes. But since the Wucht P8 shoes are not (yet?) available in Germany and I don't order unknown shoes from overseas, I cannot tell you anything specific about these shoes, sorry. Judging by the pictures, they do certainly not look very wide.

20. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    any word on the return of the adipower pro string

or who the OEM was for it the first time around?