Adidas badminton 2020

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Dave1011, Apr 18, 2020.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I just compared two 4U AX88D with three 3U P8. Both Astrox have a wet head weight of 41.4 g, same as the lighter of the P8, while the other two measured 41.6g. All wet with partly different strings and different grips. The P8 are mine and only have wood + electrical tape + overgrip, while the AX88D seem to have an overgrip on top of the original grip. That showed in the overall weight (91.8 g and 93.6 g vs. 90.7 g, 90.8g, and 90.0 g), but shouldn't influence the head weight too much.

I made these measurements, because dry swinging, they seemed to be rather similar, but the AX88D seemed to flex and drag a bit more. Bending the shaft shows that they're quite similar (if there's a difference, the P8 is slightly stiffer), so part of the difference might be the added drag (aka slower racket) of the Astrox, applying more force on the shaft, thus bending it more.

I did compare 3U vs. 4U, but the difference between 4U and 3U for the P8 is just 2g, specs wise, and the lightest of my three is closer to the official 4U spec (dry), if I remember correctly. Anyway, your 4U P8 should not be slower than my 3U ones.

My guess is that you feel that way, because the P8 is less forgiving, has a smaller sweet spot, and is slightly more difficult to flex, so not hitting the smaller sweetspot or just starting the swing too late, is punished more. That way, you really need to be there in time with the P8, while the Astrox might cover up some mistakes.

I'll even start to recommend trying the P8 for people who are looking for a faster AX88D. ;)

This kinda proves my point, because a smash is where the head speed of a racket is more important than for any other shot. More head speed -> more power. For everything else, the swing- or head-weight is way more important than aerodynamics and that should be fairly similar, if not slightly lower in your 4U P8.

That matches my theory that typical doubles rackets mostly have non-compact head shapes, because of the larger sweet spot and more forgiveness when not hitting perfectly clean are way more important in fast paced doubles.

I appreciate any thoughts on this and if I'm missing some important point!

2. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

Makes a lot of sense. Didn't cross my mind it could be due to its more compact head. I just took a look at the 2 and compared them, it's true. It also explained why i found net plays were off after switching from a bigger head racket.

So yeah perhaps that's the reason. Though my 88d is 93g and p8 is 94g, i don't think 1g makes a difference. But again, i also agree playing doubles with a more forgiving racket will be much handier, so i still think p8 will suit single players more than doubles players. Just a different reason now, p8 is NOT slow. Sorry!

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Two things concerning the P8 in doubles:

1) Watch your racket carriage and preparation. If your preparation is sloppy, you have an issue to get it ready for flat and fast play.

2) Hold it further up in the grip. Only a couple of centimetres will make a significant difference, especially for drives and flat blocks.

I’ve finally played some doubles (level and mixed) with it (3U) in the last session and I got along really well with it. I got into serious trouble towards the end of the session when my preparation got sloppy.

#243 s_mair, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    speCulatius likes this.
  4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I did have the chance to try a AX88D 4U today. I could play with it immediately, not too much adjusting needed. Partly probably because it's more forgiving, but head weight wise, it was not a huge difference. The grip size was my biggest issue.

Just to clarify...
    Remember to hold it at the bottom (let's call it long grip) again in the backcourt and when reaching at the net. Use the short grip (holding further up) for the flat game (and the service situation).

This is true for all rackets though.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Absolutely correct of course. Although it makes a bigger difference with rackets that are on the head heavier side. You can get away with a longer grip with the more lightweight or head light rackets more easily.

6. Twatical

Twatical New Member

Hi everyone, I had problems with my Tapatalk (linked to my nameisTin account) after changing the email, long story short, I can not reset my password because it doesn’t send the confirmation letter to my email and since I created it with my Tapa account, the BC one doesn’t have a password.
    TL;DR: I’m nameisTin and I’m here to say a few words confirming what Dave, Speculatius and other guys said about the P8.
    I purchased an Adidas Wucht P8 early on in this month because I couldn’t help the temptation when having to get one for my friend/coach after getting advices here from you guys.
    I decided to test out the BG80 after having liked its hybrid with LN1 and strung it at 24/26lbs (dropped a pound because of the hard feeling).
    To not give a false impression, I had some struggles with the P8 the first 2 or 3 sessions, coming to a whole new setup, new string and racket properties, had many mishits, different feel (but great one) so touches were not as delicate.
    But after I got accustomed to the P8, it truly lives up to its reputation, which has been confirmed by so many others on this thread (especially Speculatius).
    Smashes are even better than what I produced with my Spieler P09.1, the compact head and the frame somehow give me such an awesome feel when hitting the sweet spot, combined with the string, the sound is frightening. You get this “BOOM” when everything is right and I can not elaborate how much I enjoy this. Net plays are also on point, the P8’s head heaviness messed with me at first but after that, I can give out such delicate shots no problem. Drives are easy to perform, I need to hold the racket higher a bit for better maneuverability, but speed, precision and power, all there. Overhead clears and lifts were what I thought couldn’t improve any more after the P09.1, but then, its head heaviness proved otherwise.
    I first thought I made a rookie mistake and bought the P8 over hype and praises, was so afraid of the stiffness and it being a demanding racket. I gotta admit, I feel more “home” now with the Wucht P8 even more so than with the P09.1, and it’s a really big compliment given how much I enjoyed the P09.1 to be honest. I can play with it anytime without being drained or exhausted, it’s not as demanding as what I have heard so far, to me of course, even with the BG80 setup.
    My friend/coach has also been very impressed with what Adidas has to offer, and looking to buy a Uberschall F3 to top it all off as well. He even got used to the P8 much sooner than I could so the F3 won’t be much of a problem haha.
    Adidas should really hire Speculatius, thank you and many others (Dave, s_mair, DuckFeet) for helping me, again.
    P/S: I will post a video of myself playing soon, hopefully. I decided to drop the study a bit and enjoy badminton as much as I can, thanks to you guys.

#246 Twatical, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    dickography, speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  7. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

New Adidas racket! The Uberschall F3.1

adidas-badminton-uberschall-f3.1.jpg
    MD0030.jpg
    All I know so far is that its a 5u.
    I will try to find out more info on this and any other new Adidas rackets

pughon likes this.
  8. pughon

pughon Regular Member

Found theses too.
    Adidas Uberschall F2.1
    upload_2021-1-5_20-3-36.png
    Uberschall F1.1
    upload_2021-1-5_20-8-45.png
    Spieler E08.2
    upload_2021-1-5_20-9-8.png

Dave1011 likes this.
  9. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The spec of the E08.2 looks good, cheap price too. If its as good quality as A09.1 then it would be a good option

SPECIFICATION:
    Frame weight: 83g±2
    Balance: 290-295mm
    Shaft stiffness: 8.5-9.0
    Tension: ≤30lbs/13.5kg

s_mair likes this.
  10. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The F2.1 and F1.1 are 4u

MD0031.jpg
    MD0032.jpg

s_mair and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  11. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

Hi guys, I live in Vietnam and there's quite a lot of choice in terms of adidas rackets. I'm quite confused about nomenclature though.

I like the look of both the A09.1 and the P09.1. They are the same price and on paper the same specs: 4u, 295 bal, medium stiff.

My question is, what is the significance of the model number names, if any? How do the As and Ps and Fs differ?

12. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The Speiler range are a little different and more confusing than the Kalkul, Uberschall and Wucht ranges.

The P09.1 is a little stiffer and head light compared to the A09.1.
    Ive only tested the F09.1 and F09.1SL briefly, both were much lighter than the other 2 rackets.

13. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

Thanks for the reply Dave. Shame to hear the P09.01 is a little more head light. I guess its pretty much a balanced racket then?

I'm an intermediate singles player looking for something stiffish, head heavyish and in the 4U bracket. Which do you think of the Adidas rackets might suit me?

14. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The most stiff/head heavy are the P8/F3
    See the map below which may help

PSX_20191106_103603.jpg

15. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

Even after seeing that I'm still drawn too the P09.1. I swung it about in the shop (unstrung) and it felt great. Also a fan of the paint job. Looking through the thread it seems you own it Dave? Would you mind making a few comments about it?

Other rackets that look good are the F2 or F3 but they just aren't really calling to me and are a bit more pricey.

16. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Unfortunately I sold my latest A09.1 and P09.1 due to not playing much this year

@DuckFeet may be able to give further assistance

Here are some pics which show the specs

20200905_103019~2_copy_1000x750_2.jpg

20200905_103152~2_copy_1000x662.jpg

20200905_103310~2_copy_1000x831.jpg

17. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Adidas 2021 rackets

Screenshot_20210107_201227.jpg

Screenshot_20210107_201148.jpg

Screenshot_20210107_201131.jpg

Screenshot_20210107_201107.jpg

Screenshot_20210107_201033.jpg

18. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

apart from downgraded uberschall range and some repaints - completely the same as 2018, and bearing in mind complete lack of communications about it (probably because there is nothing to communicate about in the beginning), no wonder why racquet force stopped selling them

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  19. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I dont think they have the budget of Yonex, Victor or Li Ning so its difficult to constantly evolve.
    I think the rackets are great quality so thats the main aspect in my opinion.
    I dont see the new uberschall rackets as a downgrade, hopefully I can try them out soon to see how they play compared to the previous rackets.

20. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

speed type racket models with max weight of 81grams does not make any sense, and stiffness is lower as well - so it is downgrade for me.