ADIDAS 2021 Badminton Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by speCulatius, Jan 20, 2021.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don’t let marketing trick you into thinking that the frame shape makes a racket fast or slow. It’s first of all the head size that has a lot more impact in that regard. The P8 has a compact head (same size as the ZF2 and JS10) which makes it stunningly fast for its head weight.

The downside: The smaller sweet spot that inevitably comes with a smaller head and which makes it a bit bitchy and unforgiving. Especially if you’re having a bad day.

#161 s_mair, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    speCulatius and Rimano like this.
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

The difference between a 3U and 4U P8 is marginal. Correct my if I'm wrong, because it's quoting from memory...

4U
    84g +/- 2g

3U
    86g +/- 2g

So anything between 84g and 86g could be considered both...

Dave1011 likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I cannot recall seeing neither a really high 3U nor a low 4U yet though. Looks like most of the rackets are hitting middle ground there. Speaks for a stable production process which the engineer part of my brain always likes a lot.

Dave1011 likes this.
  4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I didn't find the F5 that fast. Was probably comparing to the 4U sword frame spieler though. Could be my swing style. Balance was very nice but I moved on due to the open stringbed giving less feedback.

Only had a very quick go on the P7, it was nice enough that I immediately went to P8 (had a bunch of demos, thanks @Dave1011). Slightly more headweigt in the wucht, more repulsion, more stable, and surprisingly fast.

Comparing them both, I'd go Wucht. I bought a P8 as I thought I'd treat myself when I saw it on offer. I reckon I'd be perfectly happy with the mid range bats too. I was until I tried the P8 and it felt a bit special.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

speCulatius and Dave1011 like this.
  5. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

The 4u is 84g, from memory I think you are right about the 3u weight.
    It is a tight range so would have made sense to just market as one weight like they do for most rackets.

I think Adidas may have focused on Yonex/Victor a little more with the P7/P8 due to the RRP which prompted a split between 3u and 4u.

6. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Yeah tbh I was thinking something similar. I found the catalogue from 2018. 86+/-2g but labelled as 4U. So of fits that theory, but they could've had a limited release.

Also I think (not confirmed because I'm extrapolating from wet weights) one of my two 4U are within the 85g mark, so right in the middle... The other one might by closer to 83/84g.

Edited because I then went and measured them. 1.3g difference between the two but not the same strings or overgrips.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

#166 Rimano, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Dave1011 likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Yet YY & V had large error margin:p
    Especially Victor, my 3U TK770 are tight close to 2U & almost becoming U when im putting all stuff (string & grip):eek:

Dave1011 likes this.
  8. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

As @s_mair said earlier, it's great to see the consistency of the production.

speCulatius likes this.
  9. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

The pessimistic me is thinking they're actually just binning the rest that don't fall in the range. A bit like Li-ning and then suddenly we have new ranges covering new weights. Sure... Li-ning sure...

Dave1011 likes this.
  10. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Let's stay positive! :D
    But if Adidas have a bin full of off spec rackets then I will happily take them off their hands!! :cool:

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Doesn’t make sense really. They allow themselves to sell rackets from 82 g up to 88 g. Why would they then only sell 85/86 g rackets and scrap the rest? That would only end up in huge costs for something that most customers don’t care.

Regarding Li-Ning, the Combat/Drive/etc. variants were mostly spec‘d differently in terms of balance and flex. So again, it’s highly unlikely that they made these only to sell their off-spec rackets.

The key to every good and profitable production is to be able to keep variations as low as possible. There are some tolerances involved in making rackets but it’s not that difficult to keep the spread small if you know what you’re doing.

speCulatius, Woesi and Dave1011 like this.
  12. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Probably not explained well on my part.
    I'm going from my original assumption that maybe the P7 and P8 originally only had one weight class and they later on introduced another weight to fall in line with what Yonex/Victor normally do. (Going to throw in there that they might've tried to increase profit by larger tolerances too). Supported (weakly) by the catalogue originally showing 86g+/-2g and the rest of their range not being similar in terms of offering multiple weights.

The Li-Ning models do have a lot of overlap in terms of specs, which makes me think there was some sort of "increasing tolerance" involved. If there really isn't, then it really seems ridiculous the way Li-Ning introduced all their new models.

Agree about profit and the customer not caring about tolerances. End of the day, most people only want a Yonex racket.

Dave1011 likes this.
  13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Are the P7 and P8 the only originals still going?
    Tried to look up the A09.1 and P09.1, no signs of them. And PDH don't stock adidas at all any more.
    Had a quick browse and most seem to start around £60 with only one £35 option??

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

14. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I believe most original rackets are still available from select suppliers.
    These are still available from what I have seen

P8, P7, F5, F3, P3, A2, F2, P2, A1, F1, P1, A09.1 and P09.1.

Some of the Kalkuls are beginning to become unavailable now such as A3/A5, maybe that is the next range to be updated.

I may have spares of some of the rackets if anyone is struggling to find what they need.
    I also have most of the later additions too.

15. speCulatius

Two weeks ago, all were still available to order from Adidas.

Not sure if I'm allowed to comment, so I'll just leave this quote here. ;)

What I can say is that despite my feedback and what others have said here, I don't see (head) heavier versions coming. I would still love this box frame with some more head weight than the A3, but a similar stiff feeling... but I guess I'll have to stick to my P8 then.

Dave1011 likes this.
  16. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I think the new Uberschall range fills the need for head heavy rackets but doesn't include anything in 3u range for those who prefer the added weight.
    They have a similar feel to the Kalkuls, a nicer feel than the previous Uberschall range in my opinion.

17. speCulatius

That's the thing.... the string pattern and box frame of the Kalkül give it incredible feedback, which I love, but head weight wise, they offer nothing I really like. I'm not even suggesting really head heavy rackets, just in the ballpark of a 3U AS11. I would have sold more than 10 of those, probably, but I'm not the only one who thinks the A3 is a bit too (head) light.

And yes, the Überschall offer some head heavy balance... at 4U or 5U. I might get a F3.1 just to try, but I'm not all that optimistic... and there's probably a reason why the Kalküls get the warranty up to 13.5 kp, while the Überschalls don't. Let alone the different stringing patterns, which would lead to higher tensions on the Überschalls for me.

There's a good reason that the AS11 was one of the most popular rackets in the past decade (by any manufacturer). If it wasn't for the shuttle holding feel and the soft frame (related?), there's a chance, I would have switched to it myself (I was coming from a 2 year trial with a head heavy 5U which was just too light). A racket with roughly those specs, but the Kalkül-DNA is what I suggested before and what I still think would be a great racket.

s_mair and Dave1011 like this.
  18. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I totally agree that a head heavier version of the A3 would suit alot of people.

I think you should try the new uber range, to me they have a very similar feel to the Kalkul range and the Victor Jetspeeds that I used previously.

The new uber range do take 30lbs/13.5kp which is the same as the Kalkuls.

19. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Is this for normal consumers?

I tend to find with the smaller brands, the big online places only stock the initial offerings and don't really replenish after that because there's not as popular? I've slowly seen the P7 4U disappear, which is why I probably rushed a bit sooner to get a spare.

20. speCulatius

No, but if your retailer has Adidas, they should be able to order them as well... well, in Europe at least.

One more reason why I'm hesitant is that I've had my 2 years with a (head heavy) 5U racket and it was just too light. That makes me cautious about the F3.1. The other ones are probably not stiff enough for my liking. I have the F2 and it's fine for a relaxed day when I don't really play, but it let's me down if I want to put a lot of effort in a stroke. So let's see if there's anything... PSX_20210824_212353.jpg
    PSX_20210824_212335.jpg
    F09.2 too flexible. F1.1 too flexible. F2.1 should be fairly similar to the F2 and is not a racket I could settle for. F3.1? Well... I might give it a chance, because I'm curious, but... it's not all that tempting at that weight. It's just my curiosity. I'm not really looking for a new racket though.

And I have a hard time believing that the feeling is anywhere close to the Kalküls.