ABC Final

Discussion in 'Asian Continental Championships 2007' started by carine, Apr 14, 2007.

1. winnie

winnie Regular Member

aiyo..i watched the replay just now.. actually the did put on a good fight today..much better compared to their semis..jz that got some errors and they feel the 1st ever pressure n nervousness which can be seen obviously from their face..so dun blame on their defeat already.. it's a lesson for them to learn.. dun because of 1 failure then u guys started to treat them negatively

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

cheers for CTF/LWW

Hey, Ants, what's wrong with you? That's not funny.You got swung by Darien's dreadful posts.Where do you think your boys are from? CHN? MO07 is not kampong? Should I start to call them Jaguh Empat Kali? I wouldn't do that because that would be pretty demeaning. To win hard fought titles and be ridiculed is the worst insult hurled at any champion.
    MAS fans sometimes are the worst kind or should I say some MAS fans are the worst kind. The most conditional:'I give you my support so you must win!' What kind of fan is this? The simplest thinking type who thinks their support is the most valuable and indispensable in the world! Get real ,such MAS fans. You are the kind of fans no badminton champion needs.
    And Darien, KKK/TBH are great but nobody owe them any favours.
    CTF/LWW are highly skilled and great to watch.They came back from one game down in QF and SF to win and also beat KKK comfortably today even though the match went to rubber. This suggests that they fix their fitness problem and confidence is a natural twin when they are physically in great shape.They must have worked so hard on that and the last thing they deserve is your disgusting, demeaning remark about them. If you have nothing nice to say to them about their win, then shut up. If you are upset about KKK losing, then get on to KKK.
    But I wouldn't worry about TBH. He has such a fantastic attitude in competitive play but without coach guidance,his match inexperience showed.As for KKK,he'll get better when his hair grows longer and he gets back his outlet for vanity instead of fancy shots.
    it's so heartening to see CTF/LWW playing well again and I'm happy for them.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

woah, steady bro. i'm sure ants wasn't serious. besides, he knows them and they know him well enough to avoid any offence being taken.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think you misinterpret my statement. I wasn't serious about the Jaguh Kampung thing. :) I'm not upset over KKK's lost. In fact he has gone thru alot before being a Champ. Jaguh Kampung means that you can only win homeground and they are not. And i'm not labelling them as one. If i do... they will chop my head off.

I do agree with Dreamzz.. they know me well enough.

But if i do offended anyone in anyway i'm terribly sorry.

5. alohio12

alohio12 Regular Member

haha no, Victor is a brand from Taiwan that makes badminton stuff, including rackets. Theyre pretty decent

6. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    OK stop the mob, KKK/THH will be fine. Its good that they loose the final now, that will put everythings back to perspective for the WC and Olympic. I think both this tournament will bring the best out of them. Remember, they just came back from some tedious tournaments n they need some break. Why peak in the ABC and lose out the major ones. Loosing to your own country mates is not surprising, they spar against each during training, who knows them better ???? So, keep giving them the support and encouraging words, not loose a final and hantam them to death. I'm very sure Rexy is glad that they loose, no more interuption, no celebration but back to serious training. The bigger test will be when they match up with the big guns. I'm sure they will have their best game by then keep pushing them not tearing them apart and humble them not the over confident attitude. :) :) :) :)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hehe, one of...

:) ...the amusing post in here..:p :D ;)
    Anyways, as i mentioned earlier in another thread, i wouldn't be surprised to see CH play against Taufik, again in the Final, in either or both of the upcoming SS tourneys(depending on the draw); though, most likely in the Indonesian Open..I know Taufik will probably attend the S'pore Open, but i doubt he'll go far in that tourney as he'll most likely save up his energy for the following week's IO..:p ;)

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

This is it, you hit in on the nail. This lost will hopefully get rid of those idiots contantly disturbing Koo/Tan. I heard recently that KKK went to Machap election to help MCA win some votes there against govt opposition, WTF!! What has this got to do with KKK???

Anyway, this will bring them back down to earth.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's got to be said though (finally watched the MD replay) that even though CTF's play is sometimes erratic, especially on defence, when he's attacking, it's an awesome sight. such a true hitter of the shuttle.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Thanks for the answer.

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes CTF has been suspect at defending. But his smashes are quite crisp, and yesterday I saw a different approach from them. Their front coverages were good against KKK-TBH. KKK did not have any answers to their attacks, not given much chance.

I am not particularly fussed about KKK-TBH losing to LWW-CTF coz the latter have played some excellent games before and they probably are experiencing a resurgence under Rexy......anyone coached by Rexy will improve.

12. amaze

amaze Regular Member

Malaysian fans are a fanatic lot... but many are also conditional supporters :eek:

Sometimes in our overzealous - ness, we indirectly contribute to the 'downfall' of our 'heroes'....:rolleyes:

What don't we give them space and time, instead of analysing each and every stroke during play or facial expression of the players that we love ?

As some of us say, if you love them, now's the time to leave them alone. Keep the celebrations to the minimum.

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Not surprised at all about TH triumphant yesterday, lack of top-names here. The real-arena to test TH absolutely is level-2 tourneys as we know the next two South-East Asia SS will be star-studded. And TH will give all-out performance in Jakarta to save face of INA badminton, quite slim chance to grab the title from other four divisions.

It's hard to believe CHN still shows their power in this ABC with three all-CHN-final, they so thirsty to win something. Strong dominance!

Akhirnya, INA dapet gelar juga! Almost all INA prime newspapers in today's edition express it.

14. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

Monday, 16 April 2007 [​IMG]The 2007 BAC Championship concluded with several hot shots being cooled: 3/4 seed Jiang Yan Jiao's bravo upset of 2nd seed Lu Lan in the women’s singles event, Taufik depleting Chen Hong’s reserves in straight sets, as well as Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook’s demolition of Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong that will probably get tongues wagging for the next few days to say the least.

by J Lin reporting live from Bandaraya Stadium, Johor Bahru

Actually, if you are to google ‘hot shots badminton’, chances are you will be returned results of articles on Malaysia’s world number 10 men’s doubles pair Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong whose partnership of barely 6 months have already swiftly snatched up 3 out of the 4 Super Series titles this year.

It is no wonder, ninety-nine-point-nine percent of the Johor Bahru crowd at this year’s finals had surrendered their sleep-in Sunday to have their attendance marked for the final match of Koo/Tan. It didn’t matter that the new sensations were up against (and eventually came under the sword of) fellow Malaysians Lee Wan Wah and Choong Tan Fook who are a decade more mature than the prodigies.

With a mean age of only 21 between these two aesthetically pleasing young men - who are also capable of producing an equally aesthetically pleasing badminton game - and especially with their fine recent Super Series run, the crowd’s money was on the relatively novice Koo/Tan.

But still, veterans Lee/Choong are the defending champions in this event so it may or may not have come as a surprise that the world number 7 Lee/Choong held on to their title and had Koo/Tan (quite literally) floored.

The 32-year-old Lee said in a pre-match interview, “We are the defending champions and this will be the driving force for us in our bid to retain the title. There is nothing to lose.”

True to their word, right from the first set, the self-professed “old men” demonstrated to the crowd that they may be old, but that they are definitely not yet out of steam. Unleashing a superb offensive game, they smashed their way to take the set at 21-14.

Koo/Tan, however, quickly put on their creative caps and employed a new strategy in the 2nd set. Perhaps something primed Koo to remember that he is after all a wicked master at the net. For that matter, he is one of the best architects at the net in the men’s doubles pool of recent years.

Koo was fast and furious as he approached the net, forcing Lee/Choong to slide into a defensive mode that was simply not good enough for Tan’s razor-sharp smashes, which are absolutely lethal. In this fashion, Koo/Tan secured the second set at a remarkable 21-11 scoreline.

Such a complementary combination is why the Koo/Tan partnership is so deadly. For as long as they continue to bring out the best in each other, they will remain a vicious threat to many men’s doubles pairs. However, the glitch in this harmony was seen in the semi-finals the day before when Koo struggled to find his usual magic touch in his netplay and Tan’s play was affected.

In essence, Tan’s brilliance can only be unleashed if Koo’s extraordinary way with the net successfully sets his partner up for that superb smash. It becomes a chain reaction of some sort and was seen again in today’s tiebreaker.

Tan was reduced to a less than inspiring figure when Koo’s netplay was rendered ineffective by their opponents. Lee/Choong came into the tiebreaker responding to Koo/Tan’s new game plan with an identical game plan by playing at the pace of Koo/Tan and they made a wise decision to take on Koo at the net.

Lee/Choong was greatly assisted by Koo’s less than sophisticated netplay this afternoon. As a result, Koo was caught feeding into the net or was forced to lift the shuttle to Lee/Choong. The veterans were hence invited to a smashing good time that had Koo/Tan going down at an empathetic 21-12 in the final set and missing out on their first Asian Championship crown.

With that, Koo might yet again come under media and public scrutiny for his performance (or the lack thereof). He was reprimanded by his displeased coach, Rexy Mainaky, for “playing to the gallery” in the semi-finals, which would have cost them their finals spot had their opponents not been so overwhelmed by intimidation that they bequeathed many points from unforced errors and misjudgments.

“This should not happen in a game, [Kien Keat] should stay focused”, said Rexy, a former men’s doubles Olympic champion. Today, Koo paid the price and lost the title.

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Wow, very well written by J Lin.

16. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Foot on Ground

Is never hurt to bring them back from dreamland... This is the most curcial stage of their career. Either they become de next Rexy&ricky or end up like HH! Only they themself can decide.

17. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    what is HH by the way...but i guess it 's not a good thing. so, i assume they will be ending up like HH.....:D

18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

HH = Hafiz Hashim.

19. vivian kon

vivian kon Regular Member

students
    lww ctf reli rockz.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

that was nasty of me. My apologies to you and Darien. Guess i forgot to defuse before posting so got short fused.
    bahasa is my second language so I can understand and speak it.
    I first heard about jaguh kampong label from a KL taxi driver and I was stunned with his reference to LCW. But I guess MAS fans got really frustrated and taxi drivers and reporters need to sound clever to cover up their inadequacies.I just don't expect BCF members to feel a similar need. Guess i think too highly of BCF members but I'll lower my expectations so i don't get short fused again.
    Maybe i lack a sense of humour but I believe jaguh kampong is a demeaning term, nothing humorous there. I hope LCW continues to exit early so he can take more unscheduled rest and MAS will come to expect nothing from him.Perhaps this is the price to pay for working him non-stop last year.