A Victor Auraspeed 90k Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Joran, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

my auraspeed 90k is already being shipped. I have been thinking whether I'll get an ARS 90K or AX 100 ZZ. In the end I went for ARS 90K. I guess AX100 ZZ is another racquet fits only for pros :D

2. Joran

Joran Regular Member

nice my man, 90k won't dissapoint u :)

3. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

hey guys, i have just received my auraspeed 90K. I notice the frame is longer than JS S12M and less wide on the sides compared to JS S12M. is it the same as you guys? for those who own both racquets. thanks.

4. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

my 90k measures 675mm exactly

5. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

it is just stringing different, 90k is probably correctly strung where cross tension is 10% bigger.

#65 Martynas, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  6. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

Managed to try the much touted Victor Auraspeed 90K for a few good hours after so many nice reviews.

Package - Got the 4U version, decent decals nothing revolutionary here though looks pretty alright with black and white theme. The 90K inherits the DYNAMIC-SWORD frame structure from its predecessor with improvements and a 6.8mm slim shaft.

Performance – As advertised, the swings can be smoother, faster, and downward shot is more effortless. ARS-90K has the advantages from both Speed and Attack series from the usual Thruster, Bravesword and Jetspeed series. Stiffness is just right close to Jetspeed 10 red and even balanced. The combination did provide better control and stability than the Jetspeed series and none of the demanding aspects of the attacking Thruster series. Speed wise, it is pretty close to the best of the Jetspeed models if not faster though the Jetspeed series were never really that quick to start with. A good sure thing is that it doesn't have a nasty compact frame like Jetspeed 10. For players with good wrist technique, this is a very good proposition.

It seems that the trend now is heading towards very all round racquets truly capable of nearly everything. Yonex has done it with the 100ZZ, Kawasaki has the Master 900 and now Victor has the 90K. Exciting times ahead!

7. Feria

Feria New Member

Personally, I find the Victor Auraspeed 90K to be very interesting.

I had used the JJS and the Jetspeed 10 (original) previously. As I couldn't get the JJS anymore and the JS10 was a bit too light for me at only 4U. I had decided to switch to a 3U Auraspeed 90K.

Personally, after a couple of months of using this, here is my impressions. It is a fantastic racket for attacking and driving. Smashes had a decent punch to them while the racket is really quick for driving and defense.

If there is one thing that I do not like about this racket is the head weight. I would have liked to be able to feel the racket head a bit more (a bit contradictory, I know, because that would slow does the quickness). The reason I say this is that I have been having trouble performing touch shots such as drops, net, etc. The swing cuts through the air so quickly that it makes it hard to just control it.

Personally, I play a more attacking style, which seems like it is the trend at the moment, so it is not a big down side for me. Overall, I really liked this racket for attacking. I would like the balance to be a little more head heavy and may be have the same compact head as the JS 10 then it would really shine as an attacking racket.

8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Let me tease this review of the Adidas Wucht P8...
    Try it. Buy it. Thank me. ;)

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  9. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

Among the attacking all round rackets similar to 90K, i find Kawasaki Master 900 have the most obvious head weight with a mild compact head that you could be looking for as an alternative to 90K

10. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

How's the stiffness and HH on the 90K compared to the Arc11?

11. ChocoChipWaffle

I have the 4U - I think 90k plays very slightly stiffer, and arc11 head is slightly slower. 90k has a slightly heavier or equal head weight (in my guess) but a much more aerodynamic frame, so it swings in the air a little bit quicker. If both rackets were positioned in one of those yonex's racket graphs with the y axis being power and x axis being control, both would be in the dead center of that graph imo - very all-rounded. The only difference is the 90k being slightly more responsive racket with a slightly stiffer shaft, slightly swifter feeling in the head, and more responsive stringbed. I'd summarize 90k as a "sharper Arc11", in both the feel and play. But if you're a fan of rackets with a lot more holding feel to the shot, then obviously Arc11 is well known for that feel.

@Feria btw if you feel like you can't feel the head feels too light, you might want to remove the original grip and substitute it with a couple layers of mueller cushion wrap, that will make the grip a lot lighter and help you 'feel' the head more. It won't make the head itself heavier, but sometimes having too much weight on the grip end tends to give that uncontrollable feel near the net.

#71 ChocoChipWaffle, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. Shiverz

Shiverz Regular Member

Hello,

What string is best to use on the 90k for a better feel at drop shots?

thanks

13. Joran

Joran Regular Member

I would reccomend using a hard control string. For example VBS 68 Control or Yonex BG80.
    In my opinion the racket will have amazing control when strung around 28 LBS with these strings. but be sure u can handle these kind of tensions.

14. Feria

Feria New Member

For strings, I usually prefer either BG 80 for the "stiffer" feel at 27 lbs on the 90K. Right now I switched to a BG65ti at 26lbs for my durability and since I am not playing as much. Both setup feel good in terms of control and feel.

@ChocoChipWaffle Thanks. Yes, I am thinking of trying to remove the original grip and see if that makes a difference as I usually do that for my other rackets. Hopefully that will help with the feel a bit. Actually, for the net, I prefer a slightly head heavier feel to know exactly where my racket head is on tip of my fingers.

15. Shiverz

Shiverz Regular Member

Anyone has a 90k for sale?

16. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

it is the most amazing racket ever made :) whole package is just something special, everything - feel, speed and power, mine is 3u, really did not expect that 88 grams and 39g head weight can generate such power and angles, now just need to get two more :/ and I am good for 1-1.5 years

17. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

I've had mine for about a month and a half, 3U, strung with Ln no. 1 at 28lbs, and boy do i love this racket.

Normally it will take time for me to get used to a racket, 1 - 2 games at least, with warm ups. But it clicked right away with this, from my go-to 88D.

Though they're quite different, 90K is such a friendly racket to play with. It's also the fastest that i've tried, second only to BS12 but with much more power in it. I didn't do research a lot on Victor rackets but based on its name, I'd assume the Jetspeed should be faster, but i found 90K is faster than JS12ii. Perhaps due to a bit lighter head? I could be wrong though since i only borrowed my friend's for a game.

I basically agree with what people here have been saying. If it's to compare to yy rackets, it's a better arc11. Drive and defense are ez pz, smashes are steep (the only adjustment i need, sometimes it hit the net instead after switching), power is there, super friendly racket. What's there not to love?

I play doubles, mostly back or mid court, and with aggressive playing style. 88D fits my style or preference more hence my no. 1 go-to, and 90K comes close after that. I switch between the 2 without problems (just the head feeling), depending on my mood.

PS: get the 3U version, no need for 4U. It's super fast already.

Shamwow and Martynas like this.
  18. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I'm still on the fence about this racket. Checks a lot of my boxes; similar to the Arc 11 but is quicker and is a bit stiffer. My 8XP sort of does that, but I have somewhat mixed feelings about that racket.

My biggest reason is that I absolutely hated the JS12. Not sure if this is still a good choice seeing as many people here are ex-JS12 users.

19. Father Parrot

Father Parrot Regular Member

I don't have anything new to add so I will give my own experience's with the 3U 90K out of my 8 hours with it which will re-emphasise what everyone else has been saying earlier. For context I play MD/XD and used a 4U88S and 4UZF2 as my previous rackets.

The pros:
    • User friendliness is amazing, I was using a 4uZF2 and I know almost any racket seems easier to use compared to that but I was just surprised on how easy it was to use it during my first game with it, it made me enjoy my game much more. I never put too much thought on user-friendliness, I brushed it over as I thought that the results were all that mattered but I was so wrong. It is a significant factor to consider. In fact, I giggled to myself a couple of times over this as I didn't get any fatigue or tiredness compared to my ZF2/88s after 2-4 hours. Stick smashes, angels/placements, snappy shots, counter attacks, lifts, backhands, you name it, it's all a joy to do because it's so easy and quick.
    • Speed for drives and defence, obviously it's not the fastest racket like the NF800 or JS10 but it's pretty damn fast which is good enough for me and it sure beats my 88S. The 88s for me always felt like it had the worst of both worlds, sure it's quicker than most HH rackets but it wasn't significantly faster than them, and it brought the fatigue that a HH would bring without much to offer in the rear court, for control though it was nice. The 90k however did fulfil that need for speed that I always wanted, outrushing my opponents in drives has never been easier and defending against smashes is quite nice with this. Compared to me ZF2 this is so much quicker, easier to use for drives and it doesn't drain your energy at all.
    • Net shots are much easier to do, as others have said this racket is like a "scalpel", it cuts through the air so quickly making deceptions an easy task.
    • Power is there but it obviously won't compare to a ZF2 or 88D though if you consider the power it offers with the speed and user-friendliness then it's quite well worth it. I was worried on trying out another control racket like my 4u88s because I feared that it would be quite lacklustre in the rear court but the 90K throws that all out. For a fast, stiff, even balance racket this offers a good combination of speed and power, smashing repeatedly without getting tired is a nice bonus too.
    The cons:
    • Feedback is numb. If you're like using a racket that offers solid feedback like from a ZF2/NF800 then you may find this to be a turn off. Now I don't know if this is due to the feedback or head weight or both but all your shots be it smashes, drives, drops won't feel strong. Now this is not to say that your smashes won't be strong, what I mean by this is when you do give a strong smash it won't give you that feedback which tells you that it was a damn strong smash, it may still feel numb or weak. Hence I made more mistakes with some drops with this over my ZF2, it doesn't have that extra head weight to gauge it well as it but it still delivers. When I do outpace my opponents in drives it feels like I could've hit harder despite releasing a very fast shot.
    The potential con here could be the responsiveness, I personally don't mind it as it offers good control anyways, but it will be an issue for those who want to only use a racket with a "holding" feel.

Overall, what makes this racket shine out is the combination of things like the user friendliness (doesn't drain you at all) , good speed and the good power. Mind you, this isn't the fastest racket or the most powerful but it offers very good levels from both worlds. While using my ZF2 after a year and a half I wanted to try out a racket that makes drives and defence easier without losing too much on the rear court, and this racket does exactly that to a very good level. It's a quick "all rounder" with numb feedback, which can suck depending on the user, for me though the compromise wasn't that bad so I made the switch. In summary this is great and user friendly "jack of all trades master of none" with that tiny added bonus of speed and power.

Rommel Alastra likes this.
  20. ChocoChipWaffle

I think it's very interesting that the above user pointed out, that the Astrox 88s didn't feel fast at the net, but isn't a hard hitter at the back either. I think when we try to find all-rounded rackets, we try to find one that has speed at the net but still has the power from the back. But while some all-rounders tend to give off the feel that they're "good at everything", I also felt some all-rounders tend to feel more like they're "not that good at anything" instead. It's a subtle difference, but it's definitely something we watch out for when buying new rackets. Luckily for me the 90k feels more like the former than the latter, but I do think finding one isn't so easy.

#80 ChocoChipWaffle, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020