A short story about string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, Apr 15, 2005.

1. aCROX999

aCROX999 Regular Member

Good story. I have a racket, which is old and there's no more decals, just plain black colour, and I have no idea how much the tension is. It's my mother who brought the racket to a stringer, and I have no idea about the tension which the racket was strung at. And in fact, I was just a small kid who knows nothing about these string tensions before, but I think it maybe from 23-28lbs. I wonder how can I figure out the string tension?

2. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Just a rule of thumb: How old is the racket? If one of the older generation of metal (T-joint) the tension is surely not over 20 or 22. The old carbon rackets sport a max of 24lbs. A reliable string bed tension tester for badminton has yet to be invented.:crying:Good luck.

3. jysw1986

jysw1986 Regular Member

Safety engineer
    hi bro, i am using tantrum 200 as well. in malaysia melaka.
    well, my suggestion to u is to try tension below 25. between 22-24 i guess.
    that should be fine. i myself just strung bg85 at 26lbs (new ecp machine)
    i tested it today and i find it different. i am going to test it further to know whether its right for me or not.
    will probably try bg80 or vs850 in the future.

4. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    Is 26lbs with bg 80 on arc saber 10 good? Would it be good for smashing?

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Personally for a combination of this string and racquet, for all purposes including good smashing, I would use 31 or 32lbs ECP.

Now can you relate what my personal taste has to do with the FIRST OPENING POST (have you read it by the way)?

6. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    So 26lbs would not be high enough? And yes i have read it

7. Blitzzards

What is your normal tension anyway. Have you tried higher tensions before? Can you not relate your situation to the moral of the story?

If you want the shortest answer; Good Luck trying the new string tension then, assuming that you can handle what I suggested.

8. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    I had 25lb with n95, but it doesn't really smash hard

9. Blitzzards

Go ahead and try BG80 at 26lbs then. Once you have played a lot with the new tension, look back at the first opening post and refrain.

Your maximum tension tolerance is the point just below where you start to think that the new tension you are now using is starting to exhaust you on every full court clear.

10. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    ? So if the tension is high its harder to clear? I thought it was easier.......
    Should i just stay with my n95? and not string?

11. Blitzzards

That depends entirely on your technique. If you can gauge it, with a perfect hitting technique of course (but theoretically) the higher the string tension regardless of what string that is used the easier it will "feel" for the player to hit a clear.

IIRC you mentioned that with NBG95 your smashes are not hard. One of the near infinite number of reasons (arising from tons of non-linear variations due to string type, tension, thickness etc.) why could be because NBG95 feels soft to you on impact. BG80 is a harder feel string which could probably fix your problem.

It takes a lot of experimentation before a player can settle on the most "perfect" string (type, thickness, tension etc.) and racquet combination, which is what the moral of the story stated in the opening post is.

12. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    Ok so 26lbs it is

13. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    If i string my Arc saber at 28lbs would that make the racket snap?

14. Blitzzards

Read THIS THREAD which is just a few lines below. The question posted is no different than what have here.

Try doing a search before posting almost non-related questions such as this one in the sticky threads all over.

15. kaysure

kaysure New Member

I bought a Nanospeed 9900 limited edition 6 days ago. Tried bg 68 ti @ 23 lbs first time because the youtube Zhao Jian Hua training clips chinese lady coach Xiao Jie mentioned she strings her racquet at that tension to suit her style of play (for control). She didn't mentioned what string she used. So I read the yonex string catalogue and saw 68 ti is designed for control players. I would prefer playing a control game than merely whacking the shuttle hard but a former coach did mentioned my key strength is my smash which I don't use often enough. Zhao Jian Hua strings his racquet at 28lbs because he mentions his technique is good and he likes it so.

I played singles on sunday. Was adjusting to the new head light racquet. My other racquet is Voltric 70 also using bg 68 ti @ 25lbs but it has loss its tension because it is 3 months old. I played again on tuesday where I really tested smashing really hard (close to my limit) continuously 3 to 5 times in a row in quick repetitions. Then switch to my friend's Ti 10 racquet strung at 28lbs using bg 85. Strangely, my smashes were less powerful on the Ti 10 @ 28lbs. We switched racquets and my friend started smashing me using my Nanospeed 9900. He couldn't get the power in his smash and he mentions his arms hurt because the racquet was swinging too fast due to its lightness.

My hand is currently sore. I played on thursday and realise I can't force myself because of the pain. I took time to watch the Fu Hai Feng how to smash youtube. He spoke of technique not power first. So I tried technique on thursday doubles game; reduced my smash to almost a third of my normal follow through but focused on the accuracy of the shots. How I did this was, to smash straight at my opponent's backhand side two to three times continously; but each time with better accuracy itching towards the side line. I am actually happy with the results.

I tried my backhand clears (something I am still working on). Nanospeed 9900 seems to give me better control because it has a faster swing on the downward movement than voltric 70 but overall I notice that the shuttle flies further on clears or drops with the voltric 70 which is currently with a tension less than 23lbs using the same string the bg 68 ti. Voltric 70 is heavier at the head.

I just went to another shop and the stringer is using a digital apacs machine and he asked me to string using nanogy 98 @ 25lbs. I obliged and will be testing it soon. Both my NS9900 and VT70 will be newly
    strung with nanogy 98 @ 25lbs. Hopefully I can better gauge the difference.

I am still learning about this string tension issue and this thread has helped me in that direction. Thanks.

16. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

does stringing with a machine gives different results than ones using manual labor?

a few days ago, i sent my racket for stringing. the string felt different to what i normally used to although tension remained the same at 26-27lb. the last two i went both using manual stringing machine.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Stringing is more of an art than science. Meaning that if you find a good stringer, stick with him, as different stringers with different techniques on different machines will give different results even if you ask for the same tension.

18. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Thanks. My go-to stringer was on holiday at the time. Guess i'll stick with her for the time being and see the results. I have sent my racket for computerized stringing quite a few times and i never seem to get the hang of it. The times i sent for manual stringing give me satisfactory results though.

19. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    At 26 I cant smash or push the shuttle accurately, at 25, I can get everything, smash twice/3times as hard and play accurate netshots... I wanted to change up my tension but as i have 3 of the same racket I may string one at 27 and one at 24 and see what happens...

20. snack62

snack62 Regular Member

so different brand of racquet comes with different tension? i'm using 23lbs, with victor bravesword 12. is that too much?