A short story about string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, Apr 15, 2005.

1. sirjoe1

sirjoe1 Regular Member

-
    Well, just string the BG80 at 34lbs or higher.. or You could try the NGB95,its an all rounder.. good for smashing lasts quite long etc.. the only drawback would be the price... -_-"

2. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

err you mean 24lbs right ?. Actually I've tried bg80@25lbs before, it feel hard but still I can play with it. Its just that it doesn't have the same feeling as bg66. Anyway I will try another 0.66mm string (don't know what brand yet) and string it at 25lbs on both racket I have. So if one seems dead, there is always another to go to :rolleyes: .

3. sirjoe1

sirjoe1 Regular Member

-
    OOps,yea 24lbs, But i thought once the Tenssion of the string goes down a lil it'll be good, Im going to string my racquet at 24lbs tomoro using the NBG95, i'll se how it goes,.. heheh can't wait to smash some opponents :D XD

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Generally, players who have a huge swing action do not like very high tension. However, players who use more wrist snap can handle very high tensions better. A wrist snap is much faster than a huge swing. It is similar to swatting a fly-a short, sharp snap of the wrist vs a giant swipe, using a newspaper, at the fly.

5. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Thanks taneepak, after reading your post I decided to use more arm swing yesterday and as the result it feel easier to clear and smash. I will just keep using this string now. Well as most ppl said its not the equipment its the skills :D.

6. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

i just moved mine up a tension too its harder to use

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Uhh.. you mean wrist, right ? Once people people start using their wrist more than their whole arm/shoulder, their skills improve really fast. :eek:

Just one lbs of change wont make much of a difference. o_O

8. Reiko

Reiko Regular Member

IT Student
    Can the BG80 handle it up to 30 lbs?

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, it can. No problem at all.

10. Reiko

Reiko Regular Member

IT Student
    What I have noticed about the BG68Ti it loses about a pound after playing with it about an hour.. And I honestly don't like.. What string could you recommend for me that don't loses tension that fast? Maybe a little bit tighter than the BG68Ti and it can hold the tension for long..

11. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Bg80 holds tension quite well- although it feels harder than Bg68ti, which has a softer feel

12. Reiko

Reiko Regular Member

IT Student
    I think I'm going to like BG80.. Hehehe..

13. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Comment about String type

To add, one must also consider the type of string and the properties it has when you are looking at optimum tension.

For the longest time I've used stiffer string types - Gosen, ProAce and Forza and my optimum tension has been at 21 pounds. Recently Dink sent me with some Ashway Micro Power and Power Gut, both of which are certainly a much softer string that what I'm used to.

To get the same feel, I've had to step up the PG to 23 pounds and the MP to 25 to get the same feel as the recent Gosen.

Also, many string have different properties at different tensions. A string that is suitable at high tension will quite often have way different characteristics at low tension. Pro-66 and Forza .72 for examples:

Pro-66 performs and lasts really well at 25 plus pounds, but has no life span at 21 pounds. Touch is very good, power is middle of the road.

Forza on the other hand snaps easily at higher tensions and is like hitting with a board. At 21 pounds, the stuff is dynamite - it's only drawback is that it will suddenly lose tension ( it's almost like a catastophic failure) instead of breaking.

As echoed right back to the first post of this thread, higher tension isn't always better and you need to find what works best for you.

I've managed to avoid arm/shoulder injuries, yet remain a big hitter by resisting the stange infatuation with younger players to "go tighter".

14. sirjoe1

sirjoe1 Regular Member

-
    String

My Racket broke in a fiersome clash, so together with the racket my NGB95 string snapped too =( so ive bought back the same racket and due to the lack of strings offered by the shop, i went with a BG66TI, so far so good =( though im afraid it'd snap any moment xD I strung it at 24lbs xP

#114 sirjoe1, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  15. desmond0806

desmond0806 Regular Member

Secondary student
    Some say the string tension for my racket,muscle power which can holds up to 22lbs,can string up to 26lbs...Is that ok? What is the risk?Some say yonex always put the maximum tension for the racket,as the lowest...Is yonex muscle power racket that durable?How if i put it at 24 in the middle and 22 at the remaining part? Will 24 lbs affect my hand? The racket is G4... PLs help me!!!

16. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Probably.

Many people string their racquets higher than the manufacturer's recommended maximum, IMHO 26lbs is not that high but if you're worried why not try 24lbs first? Is your technique good enough for higher tensions? If you don't know, then don't make a huge jump, increase the tension in small steps.

The risk is that the frame could break, either during stringing or during playing, if the frame is in good condition i.e. no cracks, hasn't been bashed etc. then it'll probably be ok. If the frame does break are you prepared to buy a new racquet?

Of course, their recommendation is conservative (makes better business sense), those that are serious about badminton know they can ignore the recommendation and string with higher tensions with the caveat that they (not Yonex) are responsible if the racquet breaks.

Don't do this, it sounds to me like you're just beginning to learn about stringing so why not try something more standard like 24lbs for both cross and mains.

I don't have a crystal ball ;) You will have to try it and find out!

The grip size has no bearing on the stringing.

HTH

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Err should be able to string up to and over 30lbs depending on the stringer in my opinion... There are many kason rackets strung at about 35lbs here...
    My coach has his mp100 strung at over 30lbs...

18. desmond0806

Secondary student

19. desmond0806

Secondary student
    He must be ready to chnage a new racket...:DUm 1 more thing...Which type of racket is better,spray or paint,in terms of durability? Yeah i know it is not related to this topic...:D

20. RichF

RichF Regular Member

It doesn't matter, you're only talking about 1lbs difference, just pick one and go with it...