A short story about string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, Apr 15, 2005.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No, I don't have any suggestions, as I have not been asked to modify these two racquets yet. Each racquet model is different, and I need enough samples and many field tests to find out what I should do.

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

any comments on the adding of overgrips to head-light racquets?

3. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    dont grip too much if not you cant hold your racket properly, and then you can really hit properly because its too wide to get a good hold, who knows it might slip off your hand... (thats what i think), but if you feel that the grip is seriously too thin then put an overgrip

4. Y.TOBA

Y.TOBA Regular Member

i usually string my rackets with 23-26 lbs

5. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    Newbie String Help Please

While I know it does vary, what is the typical cost of re-strining ? Are some rackets more to string than others? Not the cost of the string but the cost of the labor. I am thinking of getting a new racket this X-Mass and am trying to learn all aspects of buying/owning and maintaining one. Then the hard task of figuring our the proper one to get.
    Thank you for any help.

6. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    The cost of labor varies from place to place, but I think $15 is standard. No, the cost doesn't depend on the racket, but rather on where you go to restring it, and also, if you don't have a string yourself, on what string you use.

7. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    Hiroisuki, thank you very much for the information/help.

8. timalowa

timalowa Regular Member

my last strings were BG 85 on 24lb tension...the strings was starting to fray... didnt work out too well... i lost tension quickly and i hardly smashed as hard as i did with 22lb on a BG80

right now im enjoying 22lb on x and 23 lb on the main with BG - Nanology 95... tension is still all there and the preformence is incredible

9. darenong

darenong Regular Member

what i discover is that high tension strings and grips must always come in balance for the perfect harmony in ur strokes .... i newly bought a flexible racket with tension 30 with a rather bulky looking overgrips and it provides lotsa power but not much on control ... i then change the grip to a softer and 'thinner' wrap and i hav control but no power .... next im gonna try to balance all up to have the harmony i think that works for me .... of course getting used to it need some time .... at least a few games ... i somewhat find that higher tension stringings make me play better as i somehow tend to learn my every move and 'extra' power seems to come whenever i hit it 'right' .... teammates even ask me to use the new racket when i change to my old racket to play .... bcos i just cant do it right with the old racket ... i think grip plays an important part too in string balancing ....

10. tubby

tubby Regular Member

That is really interestng, because i am tall and i have big hands and i find that adding a couple of grips makes it feel better in my hand.

I just had my AT800 OF restrung at 25 and last night it felt flat. I could barely clear from one end to the other when it is normally very easy for me to do so.

Maybe the problem isnt my string tension, but my grip size.

Any thoughts?

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Either or both grip and tension can affect playability and/or power severely. If the grip feels good, then more than likely the tension is wrong.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, what tension do you normally play with? is it a new racket,w ich you aren't used to yet? same string?

I agree with Cooldoob. I suggest you wait till the tension drops and see if it gets better, or restring it at a lower tension...

13. Nils Lahrmann

Nils Lahrmann New Member

translator
    tension and shoulder

Hi,
    I bought a Yonex NS9000X with BG65ti:23lbs and I am quite happy: the extra stiff stock gives good control and the power is very good – given exact timing and hit. However, as my passion and temper are perhaps bigger than my capability to hit allways very exact I feel this racket/string combination quite unforgiving and hard to play with. If I hit exact everything is fine and I am making perhaps a point, but if not, the shoulder hurts...
    Given my tendon problems I thought about reducing tension and changing the string. Do you think a string like BG80 with a tension of about 21lbs could be smoother to my shoulder (without loosing power)? Or do you think this is quit a strange combination: extra stiff stock with rather low string tension?

I aswell saw the Victor Magan ATB 6000/6500 (85-89g) models on several sites: They say the bridge would reduce vibrations – but if I would change my racket, given my shoulder problems: wouln't it be better to opt for a lighter racket like an AT800df (80-84g) or even a Karakal SL70 (75g)?

Please do not advice making a pause to play Badminton for my shoulders sake: this is out of question;)

Thanks!

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I have my kason stringed with bg65 at 22lbs,oliver fetter smash with bg65 at 23 lbs.Currently stringed my flexpro with nano95 with 25 lbs.N i played better with the 22.More control,even with less power.I guess the higher tension is for the fast n hard hitters..is that true?

15. Nils Lahrmann

Nils Lahrmann New Member

translator
    Hi Smichz,
    I think 22lbs is still a good tension for a good control. I playd in the meantime with a Karakal SL70 with original (new) stringing, which has a tension of about 19 or 20 lbs: While the lightweight is pleasant to play with the tension, for me, is definitly to low and I am loosing control. Perhaps you are right and 25lbs would be too hard, but after my experience I won't go under 23lbs again, I think.
    Best regards,
    Nils

16. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

It's all interesting! I use 25lbs now after starting at 23lbs 1 year ago. I can really see the benefit of slowly increasing the tension providing you can definately get better shot accuracy. The main string I've been using is Yonex BG68Ti and it has been good but it does seem to break easily. I had mine strung and it lasted one night and is now broken. I think I might try the Ashaway MLegend string people have been talking about if it'll last longer. I also recently added a nice ridged tennis grip to my head light racket but I needed to remove the original grip back to the wood so that the grip doesn't become to fat. The X Dutch national coach at a recent coaching clinic told us that thin grips are better because they allow for quicker hand movements (grip changes from forehand to backhand). Also because my racket is head light I didn't want to stuff up the balance by making my grip to heavy.

Anyone in here know a reliable place I can order the Ashaway Micro Legend strings from?

17. aznx68fcuk

aznx68fcuk Regular Member

hmm i never knew that lol maybe ill get my strings strung at 22 pounds i think

18. Go_Green

Go_Green Regular Member

national serviceman
    i used my fren's 25 lb bg66. it turns out to b fantastic !! playing w it was so "crispy"

19. sirjoe1

sirjoe1 Regular Member

-
    Hey guys.. Nanogy95

Hey guys, i recently bought the Yonex Nanogy95 string... I would like to know if any of u guys used this tring before.. I don't know what got into me.., I wanted new strings for my racquet (nano power 8000)3U/G2, heheh and i saw these strings.. hmm most expensive,.. has durability/repulsion power etc etc, so yea, what i'd like to know, is is this string good? I'm planning tostring my racquet at maybe about 24 or 25lbs, 24 seems good to me =) previoulsy it was strung at i think 22/23 or maybe less.. Oh and Ialso bought the Yonex NBG80 strings.. heard its good for smashers XD :D

20. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

I have tried BG66 at 24 and 25 before, both times its gives great power and control but sadly it does not last long, on the 3rd week it seems gone. Any one can recommend how to overcome this issue. ( or its the skill?). Currently I'm using bg 80, with 22 and 23, its ok just it does not have the same feel and power as the bg66. Thanks