A Good Knot

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by heroclass, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Ouch.:confused: Hope for you he isn't the evil twin of Mark when it comes to tension and string choice...

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I am the evil twin:p.

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Kakinami is no grandmaster only a scrub has been washed up wannabe stringer. Kevin Yamaguchi is the new face for USA stringing, maybe he is grandmaster level. BTW, I taught him how to string, and he will be in Brazil 2016 =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

DarthHowie and ucantseeme like this.
  4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Never used one of your stringing jobs, but would be keen to get a fresh one regardless who will string in Rio or home alone or in NY. ;)

5. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

We're still two-piecing (YY) all rackets here, I don't see any problems at all with this pattern (if it ain't broke...).

I could probably get one more racket done per wheel by one-piecing, but I don't mind the extra 5% costs and just go with plenty of string for the jobs by 2-piecing...

Part of the story, of course, is that we haven't strung any really hard jobs yet (max. 13 kg so far), and we've not strung any thin strings over 12 kg. BUT, we're now starting to string more jobs using thinner strings, incl. BG-66x and BG-AS.

So I wonder, at what kind of jobs do you guys see any knot problems? Do you have any thresholds where you say, "if I go beyond this tension, or if I use this particular thin or slippery string, then I'll use another knot"?

We're doing Parnell, adding a 3rd loop to the starting knot for the thinner strings and/or harder tensions.

We're somewhere between 150-200 jobs done now, and have never had a knot failure.

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think that the method of your 2 piece makes the difference. If you start your crosses with a starting clamp, you could use maybe any knot. The friction will avoid bad slippage. If you do something thin with a starting knot and directly pull the tension on the first cross at full speed, you need to adjust your starting knot. Especially if you go for AS or ZM62. I made good experiences with my Jorg Knot (it's the name of my doubled Toshi).

I also think that some strings are prone to rip off on certain knots and need some special care. If a knot flushs to 50% it's not a knot which I prefer. I also made the experience that my Pro-Knot is not as good as my Parnell and Toshi for the mains.

Actually I'm very happy with the tension retension of my Parnells for mains and last cross and my Jorg Knot for the start. The Jorg also looks pretty neat, so it is my preferred starting knot. If somebody wants a Video of the Jorg, please PM me. I don't want to share this knot widely. Just for a selection of nice genetlemens...

7. FeatherBlaster

For most of the jobs, we just start crosses by double-pulling directly from the knot... And that's why I'm a bit afraid of doing the thinner strings at higher tensions!

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    uploadfromtaptalk1464856811119.jpg

Duckfeet issues a challenge! I'm going to have a play with scrap string today.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Tried it... Here's the result:
    [​IMG]

Is that acceptable? :D

xZhongCheng, kakinami and DuckFeet like this.
  10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Step 4 - "put the kettle on, cut the racket, and start again" - is missing.

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Clearly a starting knot Mark! So you can do it and then thread the long tail... fun!

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It looks as though it'd be easier to get hold of an actual monkey's fist... I'd be at that monstrosity for hours!

s_mair and DuckFeet like this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Although it's starting to make sense to me, now - it looks like a triple-triple Toshi.

kakinami likes this.
  14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    s_mair likes this.
  15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Holy crap, that looks more difficult than beating LCW...

16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah. The YY flying clamp and the card are just for the piece of scrap string. Normally I weave a cross first and then I do the starting knot. It can be done much faster, but I needed some time to show everything properly without covering everything with my hands.
    Difficult was to unmount the Wise, put the DW-unit on my machine to glue my Xperia Z2 with Nitto Tape to the lever. Have you ever used a touchscreen covered with Nitto-tape? That's difficult. ;)

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Finally... the secret is revealed. But to be honest, I didn't get it also just by watching it. I guess I will have to dig out my test racket and a piece of scrap string and start practising. The result looks brilliant.

#157 s_mair, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    ucantseeme likes this.
  18. FeatherBlaster

Thanks!

Since last time, I've learned that regular Parnells doesn't cut the mustard when you're playing around with Aerosonic...

Cross tie-off startede to creep. "Fortunately" BGAS don't live long enough to see the knot go all the way through :)

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    IMO AS allows nothing sloppy like tie-offs/starting knots at uneven B's(b's) or A's. It's a shame that some racket have really poor designs. No big grommets at B6/b6 or A5? Oh boy... I suggest to one piece (Haribito Basic) requests with AS. Less hassle/loss with the knots and triple parnell should do the trick. AS coating is not fragile to get easily off, if you are gentle and just pull the first loop really tight and reduce the force for the second to semi tight and the third to a minimum.

20. Hakhak

Hakhak Regular Member

Howe comes you don't use the Jorg Knot for Main and cross as well?

Thank you