A Big Slap To Liyongbo

Discussion in 'Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philipp' started by the_way, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The award ceremony is usually immediately after the final games, which is very normal for the coach/player still in their playing uniform to accept the award. In olympics, you see champions accept medals in swimwear, gymnastics wear, sweating basketball uniforms, etc. Some of them don't even have the tracking pants, socks or even shoes on (such as diving, swimming, gymnastics, wrestling, etc). Do you think they are all dis-grace to the olympics spirit? :eek:

I would rather see a player / coach accept the award politely but in sweating gym shirt, rather than someone in a nice looking suit, but with a super pissed off / or "I don't even care" face. ;)

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, u r on the extreme opposite end of mannerism of a previous condemnation of LD. Lin Dan was critized (an insult some call it) for not wearing a stupid gift hat at a malaysian open award ceremony. Damn if u do, damn if you don't. LOL. It's not easy to be #1 i guess. People find ways to put or shoot u down, for fun or for plain stupidity reason.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38566&highlight=hat&page=3

#82 cooler, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  3. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Quote Cooler [Damn if u do, damn if you don't. LOL. It's not easy to be #1 i guess. People find ways to put or shoot u down, for fun or for plain stupidity reason.]

I see your point Cooler and hope the rest who are still prejudiced will one day do.

4. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Honestly speaking, the win by the Indonesians WD is more than a slap on LYB.

WD have been totally dominate by China since 1990s.
    Indonesia have never been a contender for WD since the mid 90s.
    On very rare occasion will the WD title going to another country(Korea :p) in such a big event.
    Worst of all, to get beaten on homeground that everyone in this world expect any of the China WD pair to win the title.
    For sure I will put a bet on China to win even if the return is tiny.
    So, this win by the Indonesian is really incredible.

No Spanking for LYB, he is a sadist and most probably will enjoy it.
    Slapping is better although he might again here, get the pleasure out of it.

;)

Final Conclusion, well done to that incredible win by the Indonesian.
    As for LYB, it is definitely a massive blown away.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually, the problem lies with your interpretation of the way's first post. No where did he mention a 'huge' failure to the Chinese at all...He only lauded INA WD's as an incredible success. I would say INA WD scored a coup; CHN did not fail but they were caught napping.(That's how coups happen, with the surprise element as the catalyst.) There are going to be more coups in future but it will be countable.
    I think you should read the way 's posts at least twice before you inadvertently put words in his mouth and misled others.How can 'A slap on LYB's face mean that no Chinese WD pair have been winning championships for a long long time'? the way never said that. That's a rather warped interpretation and I don't think the way would even have seen it that way.
    I believe you owe him an apology for making him look ridiculous.
    I want to say, except for this post which must have been a knee jerk reaction, you do have fine opinions and some of your posts are splendid.

6. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I came across this article in a Chinese blog which I think is very interesting and relavant to the topic in this thread. It shows the reaction and metality of the Chinese team after the China Master WD defeat. It seems LYB does not feel it is a slap but rather an opportunity for improvement. It shows that why they are so strong and continue to be a strong badminton force.

I took the liberty to do the translation, but for those who want to read the original article in Chinese, go here http://2008.qq.com/a/20070716/000019.htm

- start of translation -

In the just concluded Chinese Master, Team China won 4 of the 5 finals, ironically losing out in her most confident event – WD. Since LYB became the head coach of China National Team in 1993, Chinese WD has been at the pinnacle. Great WD pairings like GF/GJ, CYY/TYS, GL/HS, YW/ZJW has dominated the top at the world rankings, and often met in the finals of various Open tournaments, and never lost in any finals held in China – so in this year China Master, when Team China has won 4 of the finals, many expected we could easily take the fifth, yet the unexpected happened: after wining the first set, YW/ZTT lost 2 consecutive sets and the match!

It is no wonder that LYB said after the match: “It is quite regretful that not only this is not a China vs China final, we even relinquish the WD champion tile.” Losing a match like this is not scary, but the key is to understand why we lost and why we lost a match that we were most confident in?

Firstly, we can not ignore that fact that the draw has a great impact on the WD team. Four of our WD teams met each others in the QF, the top seed pairing ZYW/WTL lost to YY/DJ and the veteran pairing of GL/HS lost to YW/ZTT; the advantages that Team China has suddenly is halved, whilst the likes of Indonesia pair and England pair enter into the SF. Even if we put aside the eventual champion of Indonesia pair, the England pair has never beaten any of the Chinese pairings, they were very fortunate in the draw. This is the uniqueness of how Super Series draw is conducted, and it took away the numeric advantage that the Chinese WD pairings used to enjoy.

Secondly, we seem to lack the ability to deal with sudden change in conditions, both the change in condition of the court as well as the change in the opponent’s tactic. In this tournament, almost all players commented about the draft and the speed of the shuttles have affected the matches, but these conditions affected all players alike. In theory, the better the player’s ability, the least should be the impact. But unfortunately, in the SF and final against the Indonesian pair, the Chinese WD seem to be most affected by these – both YY/DJ and YW/ZJJ lost after taken the lead – this indicated that they were slow to react to the change in court condition as well as slow in adjusting own strategy, resulted in surrendering the advantage they built up, which was a real pity.

Thirdly, the Chinese WD team must also admit that there is room for improvement in their technique. GL commented after her match in the XD that she found that she still has a lot to improve when she is at the net attacking. So in which area that Chinese WD can improve on? LYB said when summarizing the WD performance: “China WD is strong in their defence, but they are not as good when dealing with delicate touches at the net, we need to strengthen in this area in our training sessions and subsequent competition.” Every one has its own strength and weakness, if China WD wanted to become unbeatable, they must make sure that their strength is much higher than that of their opponent, at the same time, they must ensure the weakness is not worse off than that of their opponent.

Furthermore, not only one but two China WD lost to a new pairing that put together for the first time; even though the Indonesia pair is strong, it also shows that both the coaching team and the players are not well prepared to deal with them, resulting in the not-so-outstanding Indonesia pair winning the WD crown. China WD has been in the dominant position for too long, resulted in them lacking the skill to deal with adverse situation. This is a lesson to be learned.

As LYB said, “Looking towards OG08, the key for China WD is to step up, continue to improve, only then we can be more assured in winning the gold medal.”

- end of translation -

7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Some of the posters here are putting themselves too high up by writing long insights and reasoning every reply from the rest of the posters. Undeniable, some of these so-called "matured posters" do have very splendid and fantastic insights but what I don't like is the harsh way of attacking other so-called "childish posters".

IMO, the starter of this thread just voiced out his opinion on CHN losing the WD. I think if he changed the title to "Clean sweep again, not this time!" or "Congratulations to INA WD!", most of the people here will agree with what he posted and shut their mouths.

May be I'm wrong, is this the proper way a poster with thousands of posts treat another poster with just hundreds of posts. You tell me.

#87 robin7, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, the problem is, who's the one started the problem? It's surely fine to celebration a victory for the "underdogs". Including myself, I want to see some new forces rising up, and make the final result to be more exciting and unpredictable. However, with a rare victory, you tell me that's "slap other's face", that's way over the line.

Victory is sweet, but sportsmanship is more important. Respect your opponent, and even learn from the ones you defeated (never metion, they defeat you way much more times). Personally, I have nothing against the fact that we have a new champion pair, but the original poster's intention is definitely not just focus on the "celebration".

It's alright to voice your point of view, but in a public forum, I believe everyone should post with some responsibility. Just close your eyes, and shouting "right of speech" does not gain respect from others. :eek:

9. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

Wow LYB is getting wiaer now,makes me like him more.
    I think what LYB said was rite.
    Vita/Natsir just won their first meet,lets see uf they can beat Yang/Zhao again if they meet at Phillipines Open.LYB must have found some new tricks to handle vita/natsir.

10. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Frankly, starting a topic with a title like that is childish, if he really posted it without evening thinking about it. Otherwise, he probably just wanted to stir a fight like this on purpose.

BTW, since when posters are divided into classes by the number of their posts:D

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    and vita/lilyana have also found new strategy :D

12. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

It's entirely up to you whether you want to feed the trolls.
    People like this coming everyday and do you have to be cynical and get all up on those so called "childish" posts. Talking some sense and win an argument over some childish posters?

Some people can't stand others being cocky & arrogant, so they bitch. By the other side, some people can't stand others other being bitchy & stubborn, so they bitch along. See, everyone got what they have to say, right or wrong. Just don't give the holier-than-thou attitude cause we got enough here.

I'm sorry Im being bitchy too:p but this will be My last post in this thread. Move on people.

kwun likes this.
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a good closing post for this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.