A 36-year old newbie

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by jajvirta, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Having wasted most of my adulthood doing pretty much no exercise, I finally had a chance to join a ring of doubles' players starting this fall. I have played other racket sports recreationally over the years and as a junior I played table tennis competitively. I was a somewhat decent regional table tennis player, but stopped the hobby well before adulthood.

I have played badminton couple of times every other year but never seriously and never with a regular schedule. Come this August, an acquintance of mine asked for new members in their doubles ring and I immediately joined. I've since expanded the hobby to another weekly practice session. I've deliberately taken it pretty easy so far, because I've noticed that 36-year old's body takes more time to recover.

I've had one general coaching session and I'm attending another one in January. I'm really eager to learn the game and I want to play competitively too. My goals aren't too grand, but I do enjoy improving and practicing. The background motivation for the hobby is to improve my health as I haven't been exercising for roughly 10 years.

I'm planning to video tape my play and post it on to General Forum thread, but I'm waiting for a good opportunity for that. :)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Welcome javirta!

Your story just goes to show that it is never too late to take up the one true sport! :)

My story was much like yours. Played once every few years with nary a lesson. Then in mid-30's started playing once a week at low level. After a few years, I tired of losing. So I found BC and life has been very much better ever since! (Still losing but at least now I know why ).

Sounds like you have enthusiasm and a plan. :cool: You'll see your game improve in no time if you search the technique threads in BC. Of course, you'll see your wallet empty in no time if you search too much in the 'cool new rackets" threads.:rolleyes:

Keep us apprised of your progress. And have fun!!

3. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Thanks for your comment! It's cool to hear from others who have or have had a similar background. It shouldn't be just about those "young new talents" but everyone aspiring to be better players, regardless of their age.

I think, like you and many others, that the fun is in trying to constantly improve.

Onwards! :)

4. Warlock

Warlock Regular Member

Take it easy on the body and enjoy the game...I was in similar scenario as you ...only picked up about two months back

5. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

Just to encourage every badminton enthusiasts...

Back in 2005 - 2007, I'm early 20's at that time and I've met and played with a 48yr old guy. I tell you this "old" fella is really good player but a bit boastful hehe! In terms of smashing, dropshots, control, footwork and etc he really does it very well. He can even play against a decent MD all by himself (1 against 2)... and he always win. He told us that he just pickup the racket and started playing regularly 4yrs ago, he read badminton books and practice it... so assuming he started playing at the age of 44YRS OLD. Come to think of it starting badminton at 40's is really really late but amazingly he did it. To prove that he's into badminton seriously he always carry a big red Yonex bag and carrying atleast 6 badminton rackets (I remember Yonex and Victor brands) at 28lbs. His favorite racket is Yonex Carbonex.

I believe one factor that gave him an advantage even though he's already in his 40's is that he's physically fit since he's an ex-military, he plays seriously and enthusiasm.

We can also achieve that. Let's just play seriously and enjoy!

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I started when I was 47, acquired a few injuries (and many more to my ego) hated going home with aching limbs, waking up the next day with sore back, unable to descend the stairs (seriously! :D) so I did a stupid thing. I stopped playing badminton.

As if that was going to work! :p So back I went to acquiring more injuries, sore backs/legs/arms/etc until I decided I needed to "exercise" and "work out" which I did. And after a few months of that, me, my ego, my body, my spirit and my "other" ;) extra-curricular life, we all lived happily ever after! :D

Except of course, my wallet...

Is this a true story? Like a great badminton player once said, "Maybe..."

#6 cobalt, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

not to worry

it is always late then.... never...

happy playing...