3x21 rally vs. 3x15 service vs. 3x15 rally scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

?

which scoring system do you prefer?

1. 3x15 old, service scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3x21 current, rally scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3x15 rally scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 15/0 15/0

15/0 15/0 Regular Member

I making a comeback to kick some BUTT. Not all tha
    That's a joke and an insult to the greats. Flemming Delfs would be mad to hear that. I've played him and it was full blooded war every point, serving or not. And Frost was actually blitzing it rather than his opponent relaxing. Frost lost through a few unforced errors.

Hartono and Gonzales at the All England fought a point-for-point battle to the death - setting in all three games - the nature of the server scoring system made it one of the greatest ever matches. I was there, and then met Gonzales at the Mexican open and he never eased up on any rally. Badminton matches are on average now so short, that after 30 minutes, it's all over. We'll agree to disagree.

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I hope that's directed toward nss :D because you really only have to give yourself maximum effort like 20mins-1 hr usually because that's usually how long a game lasts...

I really do not believe that players today are really much more excited playing with the nss than they are under the oss.

under 15 pt system every mistake still does count because if you make a mistake you either lose out on a point or serve.

Besides I think its anticlimatic if a silly little mistake like serving into the net or serving short can cost you a game if it was like 29-29. Whereas under oss this is less of an issue because you need to really be beaten by your opponent to get scored on. Whereas with the nss you do not necessarily have to be beaten by your opponent because you can hit out or something and if that happens frequently you can potentially hand the game to the opponent.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, it depends how one view service as an equal skills as other techniques.
    serving under pressure takes just as much skills as other strokes.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Playing with the NSS is like running a 100-metre Sprint race

Never would I insult the greats.

What I am saying is playing with the OSS is like running a Marathon race; a player can ease up when positioned at the front (when the finishing line is far away).

Playing with the NSS is like running a 100-metre Sprint race; a player would not allow his/her opponent to be even one metre in front at any stage of the race.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The point is that with the OSS, you dont' have to actually start playing initially. It doesn't matter when you start. it's possible to go from 0-14 to 17-14. That's why it really matters how you finish.... But it's impossible in NSS to go up like that; 0-20 to 22-20 is just impossible.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But if you want, you can wait a whole set before you "start" playin with NSS as well..

/T

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can do that in OSS too though :p

8. copadh

copadh Regular Member

is there any orange-feather goose alive? :D:D quick googling goose+orange and you will find "crispy roast goose with orange sauce" :D:D

just kidding...
    agree with this suggestion. i play table tennis with orange ball and it's far-far better to my myopic eyes than white ball.

another thing: BWF should introducing badminton-style hawkeye system, as soon as possible, to prevent bad call.
    the problem is, different type shuttlecock has different 'flying-lane'. then other parameters such as string tension, hitting power, and of course, wind...
    lots of work to do...:(:(

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^On the idea of BWF introducing a hawkeye system ASAP..^^

..boy, we've touched and discussed on that idea/topic a lot in other threads...you can do a search..:cool:

10. copadh

copadh Regular Member

i know, very clear... just want to emphasize it again...

sorry to put that on this thread.

#130 copadh, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I once read that the great American Dave Freeman beat Wong Peng Soon after having lost the 1st and trailing 1-13 in the 2nd ..... too bad it was before my time. :crying:

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This Poll Results after 278 votes on 01-May-2010

So let us record our results.

This 3rd Poll Results after 278 votes on 01-May-2010 is
    3x15 old, service scoring ...... 100 votes ...... 36%
    3x21 current, rally scoring .... 171 votes ...... 62%
    3x15 rally scoring ................... 7 votes ....... 2%

Our 2nd Poll Results after 478 votes on 02-Mar-2009 was
    3x15 old, service scoring ...... 259 votes ...... 54%
    3x21 current, rally scoring .... 219 votes ...... 46%

Our 1st Poll Results after 721 votes on 13-Jan-2007 was
    3x15 old, service scoring ...... 576 votes ...... 80%
    3x21 current, rally scoring .... 145 votes ...... 20%

It looks like the 3x21 current rally scoring system has become more and more popular as we get familiar with it.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

what about 1 game to 100 points ? It worked well when I played my freind today, you didn't have to start playing straight away, and 5-6 point lead was easily retrevable, the game lasted 58mins. With a 5 min break at 50, I eventually won, 100-96. So it leads to close matches. And it becomes a marathon, not a sprint. I am sure for advertising you could have breaks every 11 points or so.
    What do you think ? :D

14. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    That's too long, and we have to "secure" something.. In your system we can't secure because there's only one game..:D
    the advantage of games is changing strategies I think.

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

ok, three games to 33 points ?

16. petertan_sg

petertan_sg Regular Member

CEO
    I had played OSS when I just started badminton and it was a personally horrible to me. You have to wait for a long time to play, when there are like 10+ people waiting for just 1 court. And if you're new, your experienced opponents can take their sweet time to kill you, having the service on their hand. Also, it's bloody hard to count the score.

NSS is nicer to everyone, because they know that their next game is about max 15 mins later. NSS ensures that you put in your best because EVERY POINT COUNTS. NSS may not be good for "diesel-powered" players, who need time to warm up, but because the game is fast, their engine would be ready to run during the 2nd game. NSS is easier to count too.

I disagree that NSS doesn't allow player to chase back. I had a game when we were like 7 - 19, losing a grand 12 points. Surely OSS would be nice, but we chase it back to 19 - 20 and but because I mishit my serve, we lose in the end. Initially, we thought that's it. 12 points. In my mind was "How the heck are we going to chase back?" But we did it 1 point at a time. No trick shots. No funny patterns. OSS may be easier, but NSS takes you to the next level.

I understand that NSS was for the purpose of managing the amount of time per game. It is simpler for recreational game as well as tournaments.

For 21x3 NSS, the only suggestion is 2 Time-Out Per Game Per Team, Each 60 Seconds. Good for coaches to re-strategize, 45 ads to be played, and players to break any momentum. If this time-out is allowed, then there is no need for a break during 11th point.

For badminton, since BWF controls almost everything, why not they do a paid broadcast of the matches on the internet? Most of the matches I watched are over YT and the quality varies.

Also, they should make the marketing more "American-ized". During matches, more dramatic video in-lays of player profile and multi-angle shots. NBA-like stats. Endorsed badminton products (i.e. Li Ning is smart to make N90 Lin Dan "personal" racket, unlike Yonex where rackets are like commodities). Make badminton more personal or club-based, than country-based.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is simpler for recreational game as well as tournaments

Completely agree with what were highlighted in the quote.

Probably, BCers voting for the 3x15 service are so used to it that they do not wish to change. And we should understand they preference.

18. petertan_sg

petertan_sg Regular Member

CEO
    I have yet to try 3 x 15, but I'm ok with faster games for recreational matches because that means everyone got a chance to sweat. However, for tournaments, 3 x 21 should still the de facto because badminton is still considered a fast game (ok, this is a point for argument here) and there is a need to have enough points for the players to fight.

The logic is simple - if we want a super-fast game, why not just 3 x 1 point? If the players want to warm up, why not stretch to 3 x 51 (or 3 x 101)? Either way defeats the purpose of a competition. It's not a match of Ironman, nor a match of accidental win. 21 points is a decent rally point. 15 points is also decent rally point too, especially for tournament where time & resources are of concerned.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

maybe we should adopt a similar system to tennis ?

maybe we should adopt a similar system to tennis ?
    For GP and internationals and other recreational tournaments we should keep the 3x21 system and for Super Series and WC, Surdiman and Thomas cup we should go to 5x21 ? Obviously for WS & WD we would keep the 3x21 system. Anyone share similar thoughts ?

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There were a lot of changes in the scoring system in Tennis too

Your suggestion to follow Tennis could come true. But there were a lot of changes in the scoring system in Tennis too.

You might wish to follow this discussion located at:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=496498