3x21 rally vs. 3x15 service vs. 3x15 rally scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

?

which scoring system do you prefer?

1. 3x15 old, service scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3x21 current, rally scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3x15 rally scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

we should gain badminton popularity thru media and exposure not changing the length of the game. soccer games go on for 90mins and hardly there are ever goals scored as frequent as badminton. i don't understand. dont flame me for comparing to soccer...

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I believe the record for a match time in badminton = 124 mins singles
    http://www.badmintonsource.com/badmi...viaarticle.cfm

so no worries about 3 hr match (actual play)

However now rarely do I see a match last an hour let alone 1.5 hr (not yet especially with nss)

It seems like I'm saying longer length of game = better, but with oss there is the element of coming back and frankly I think a lot of people would agree its pretty exciting when there are comebacks (both as a player and spectator)

With the oss I think you still have to be pretty consistent otherwise how would you score? I think it is more intense if you do not have the luxury of thinking whatever I do I just need to stay in the rally tell he or she messes up. If it is like ok I have the birdie but pressure on to maintain my poise and consistency otherwise I CANNOT score.

Consider two scenarios
    Two players may be at a draw and like 14 all but both are having trouble delivering the final shot. True victor really had to prove the better day to get the serve back and score.
    Scenario two: score is 29 all, audience sees player D serve, goes into net (imo anticlimatic ending) player C just won because player D couldn't get a serve over.

Its just that I think nss is TOO friendly to attackers and specifically people who do not have as much stamina or endurance (because they do not have to really worry about a sustained effort past 20-30 mins usually).

Not as friendly for those who take a while to get into their groove. :(

Besides tennis the record I think is 6 hrs. 33 mins (not of actual play but still) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest..._match_records

Most of the time it seems like the player serves, faults or messes up, ball boy or girl picks up ball wastes like 5 secs or so, player bounces ball couple seconds starts again. In addition breaks in badminton are like less than what 3 mins?

15 X 3 oss or 15 X 5 nss if I had the power :D

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- Do you really want to watch a baddy match that goes longer than 1.5 hrs or even up to 3 hrs long??..
    - I take it you know one of the reasons why BWF decided to dump the OSS for the NSS??..

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I do not know if I want to watch a match that lasts that long partly because I've NEVER seen a match last more than 1 hr.
    But why not, I am the spectator, I may have paid for the entertainment and U.S. open finals were I forgot how much exactly $20? Watch taufik play for like half an hour to an hour was really nice. Past that wouldn't have been bad especially since its rare for players like Taufik to come to U.S..
    3 hrs I highly doubt the players will have the stamina to get past 1.5 or 2 hrs before they will simply retire.

I watch basketball occasionally excluding halftime, games lasts what 2-2.5 hrs? So many people go and watch it in person and have the patience. I think I have the patience if the match lasts 1.5 hr to see who will crack under the extreme fatigue mentally and physically.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- That's watching Taufik. How about watching a 1.5+ hrs WS or WD match??..;)
    - Basketball once in a while could be boring, esp. if the teams are not very good. But I guess most fans enjoy watching team sports (soccer/footie, baseball, basketball, football) more than an individual sport.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

After trying and experiencing with this last night..

...i must say the 30 x 3 rally scoring system is not too bad. Not only is it long enough but it provides another stretch for a player/pair to come back. Winner needs to win by 2 pts. Interval pt can be given @ 10 pts or @ 15 pts.

7. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

hmm how does tennis compare with badminton?
    they are basically in the same criteria:
    non-contact
    racket sport
    individual results, once in a while each year there are team events

and yet tennis is able to receive such large amount of exposure in the media in Canada when clearly ... (no offence) but not many top Canadian had the opportunity to do well in the tennis tournament, either American.

My question is, how was Tennis able to gain exposure? I think this question should be about exposure.

The scoring system is fine right now. 21pts x 3 games is perfect, there's room for coming back, and since it goes to 21pts, during late game it becomes a mental game.

why don't they try 7pts x 5games, or 15pts x 5games, rally points of course.

tho i remember playing service scoring a few years ago and it's really about fitness and mental of course. but you get lazy or unmotivated when it's your service because you don't risk anything.

8. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Partly I think its because of the perception of badminton compared to tennis. Even though there are recreation versions of both sports, I do not think there is the beach or picnic version of tennis where it makes tennis look ridiculously easy. Badminton does though, the height of the net changes usually, people start just hitting the bird high like their high fiving.

you gotta not be lazy though since if you are, chances are you won't score :(.

9. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

hmm i think it's mostly because badminton is a easier sport to pick up, u just need a racket and hitting a shuttle is easy to begin, although we all well know that the techniques are hard to master.

soccer is easy to pick up, basketball is easy to pick up

i think it's usually how much we can relate to the sport that we have interest in.

tho i appreciate bwf's efforts in trying to make the popularity grow on this sport and viewing.

although i think that they should focus to market it in the North America as there are some pretty risk-taking sponsors willing to take an opportunity on something new.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

They (IBF) did try that scoring system..

..briefly in 2002. But it turned out "the playing time for the two scoring systems was similar". They returned back to the 15x3 service scoring system after the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

11. FemaleJock

FemaleJock New Member

I just think there needs to be more hype about badminton in terms of exposure of players via endorsement deals (even unrelated things such as cars or related ones such as sporting brands such as nike, adidas etc.)

Sportsmen and Sportswomen get their sports celebrity status from these contracts which in turn promote the sport.

It also attracts more sportswomen/men to take up badminton as a career as well and the cycle continues.

It wouldn't hurt if there is a hot hunk or chick who is fantastic at badminton and has the charisma to endorse deals and in turn taking the sport to another level.

It is a pity that IBF focuses on revamping the scoring system when there is much more they can do.

12. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

That's what I was trying to say lol:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    im at a cross between the first 2.

old, 15 pt service scoring and 21 pt rally scoring

... first learned to play with 15 pt service... maybe it depends on what kind of day it is. both that I know how to play are fun and challenging in their own ways for me :] :cool:

14. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    21 points system means every mistakes count, that's what make the game exciting enough for top class Badminton players like Lin dan & Lee chong wei

15. shoebox

shoebox Regular Member

Phycisian
    I actually miss the 3x15 service game.

SB

16. 15/0 15/0

15/0 15/0 Regular Member

I making a comeback to kick some BUTT. Not all tha
    For those who never played 3 x 15 server scoring, you've missed a lot. If the 21 game was suggested to promote attacking play it killed the deep, high clears which created the fantastic all-court pace change aspects of the game. I see a lot of cheering going on for a load of short shots and smash kill, but that's it.

So-called "clears" not reaching the doubles service line. Might as well chop that 2' 6" off the back of the court. The modern game is action, everyone likes some fast stuff, but most often the sheer quality has gone for the sake of a fast show and eventually its get boring when compared to the great classic matches. The real classics are far better entertainment and more physically demanding. Bring them and the tension-filled, chance-for-come-back server scoring back.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6HDaZTLyuk&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVhis0PCAw

17. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    IMO, in my opinion the 3X21 point system is just horrible like there is no turn-over in a rally its more like 'first come first serve' whoever takes the lead will have a higher POSSIBILITY of winning.

Because you will have to include the chance that the opponent will make a mistake.
    Whereas with some competition i've seen a turn-over in a 30point match where the winning player will become the losing player.

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    good for old people... ;)

19. 15/0 15/0

15/0 15/0 Regular Member

I making a comeback to kick some BUTT. Not all tha
    Outside of competition I play the 3x15 sever scoring as I enjoy it so much more. The greats like, King, Hartono v Roy Diaz Gonzales, & Frost Hansen where not so old once, and their matches were so tense because there is always a way back because you have that one serve in hand. Seeing Frost Hansen down 13/5 and coming back to level it, was out of this world. It just couldn't happen with rally scoring.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Under the 3x15 Rally scoring system, it now depends on how you start and finish

Yes, if Frost could come back from 13/5 to level it, it's because his leading opponent could relax and take a break before he launches another serious play/attack.

Under the 3x15 Service scoring system, players can take their time to be serious or not. It is because it's not how you start, but how you finish.

Under the 3x15 Rally scoring system, it now depends on how you start and how you finish. Now, competition players get serious from the very first rally, and try to maintain it throughout the whole game.