2023 Petronas Malaysia Open

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by BadSmashPdx, Jan 4, 2023.

1. rakenrol

rakenrol Regular Member

only a in form LZJ would give VA a bit of trouble. I dont see KV, NTZ and HSP beating VA. VA was lucky on the draw. even had a walkover. TTY also had a good draw but still could not get past Guchi

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The KM fanatics are too blind to even realize that and too close-minded to even consider it. Or the fact VA was injured, missed a WC, and encountered serious health issues related to allergies during the KM era. And simply the fact that a player have the right to progress in his later years. Yes, VA 2023 might not be the same version than 2018. Or the fact that 1/4 of the top players were retiring at the time KM peaked. Etc.

They obsessively worship KM and his dominating era to the extent they constantly come here, on every thread possible, to diss and minimise every player but KM (including young Naraoka), performances, level of the tour/game, tourneys, aggressively showing condescending behaviours towards other users and their opinion ; all in order to rewrite their own narrative about their so called "prime" KM era. As if they needed to reassure themselves about KM and his dominating years.

Reality is that each era is different and cannot be compared objectively. May be KM 2018/2019 was the better player ever. May be it was LD, may be VA 2022/23. We'll simply never know because not only each era is different (rules, tournaments, external unfluences such as covid restrictions, family issues, accidents, injuries, progression, rackets, match conditions, draws, etc) and each player progress at their own rhythm. Comparing young Naraoka with what they call "prime" KM for example is such a joke. It's comparing two players from a different era at different ages.

Cheung, TuukaKuuga, Yoji and 4 others like this.
  3. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

HSP maybe. he struggles to win qf sf etc , hence why ranking is not great but he is the giant slayer. 2/2 for last 2 matches against viktor.

rakenrol likes this.
  4. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I feel VA will beat KV and NTY, even if they combine to play doubles against him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nokh88 likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

An Se Young has improved quite a fair bit in this tournament, in my opinion,raising her game another level when thus far her improvement has been incremental.

In G3, I felt that she lost mostly on stamina but in terms of skills , I believe she can match Akane now, if not a little better than her already. It goes to show how tough it is to beat Akane, not only is her retrieving ability second to none,her counterattacking after parrying the opponent's attack is impressive, and even if you survive that , she will run you into the ground with her amazing stamina.

Actually,I also opined that she would beat CYF even if the latter is not indisposed yesterday.

I'd even make bold to say ASY is poised to be world number one in the near future, perhaps sometime by the middle of the year. Hope I didn't speak too soon.

KBM424 and Khamenman like this.
  6. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I really like how Viktor plays it straight up and dominates everyone from the start. I always thought Momota should have done the same, but it really isn't his style, I guess. He disects more than he crushes. In terms of putting opponents away, Viktor these days is better than Momota. It may have to do with Momota playing a world record amount of matches in back to back seasons. I don't think anyone will ever come close to that again.

However, the opponent question is not as simple. First up, Viktor does not play against Viktor as an opponent. There is no one of that calibre around right now, a big factor. And you can't possibly think AA, ASG, CTC, SYQ are anywhere near as good as before the pandemic? They are not just losing to Axelsen, but to everyone and their moms. None of them seems to manage two good tournaments in a row, including Lee Zii Jia and Low Kean Yew (before the pandemic known as Loh Kean Who?).

Leaves the three kids. They are all turning 22 this year and unfortunately they have not really been able to translate their outstanding achievements in the youth to the senior tour thus far. Compared to what Taufik, LD, or KM have achieved in more difficult environments at that age, it is not as impressive as we may have hoped for. However, they should of course be given more time before final judgements. They can still have signinificant improvements each.

skhai91 and BadSmashPdx like this.
  7. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Very well said

8. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

This is a really good point.
    VA has left nothing to chance regarding training, sleep or diet (or drinking) for his entire career. It is paying off now. We are seeing a 29 year old 194 cm MS player demolish most opponents. No compression socks, no knee band, not even a little tape.. and still no injuries and fit as ever (knock on wood). I am not sure I ever saw him with tape.. except on his nipples lol.

Cheung, lurker and justiceforlcy like this.
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just attack NTY cos KV has better defence.

Pcyl likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I missed that match Liu/Ou vs Ranki/Shetty. But after watching the replay later (happened to come across it on Zhuafun.tech), I agree with you that Liu/Ou really should have won that match if not for the clutch player, Liu Yuchen, suddenly losing his script and not as sharp as he usually was and making several uncharacteristic errors; then when that happened, his partner, Ou Xuanyi, who often relied on LYC to steady the ship, was himself unable to take up the mantle, thus allowing Rani/Shetty to turn the table on them.

Sorry, my comment came so late.

11. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Yeah, except that sometimes get angry and hit racket to the floor to dead.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yamaguchi vs Viktor:

- Shortest >< tallest (maybe lightest >< heaviest).
    - 24 lbs >< 31x33 lbs.
    - Show no emotion >< Show many emotion (smile, high five, angry, hit racket to the floor).
    - Loving black (dark) color shoes >< Loving white (bright) color shoes.
    - Slow and wait >< Fast and strong
    Same: Using 100zz 3u racket and be the number 1 now.

144.jpg

#471 terrynguyen121988, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Pcyl likes this.
  12. airrick_tndo

airrick_tndo New Member

Well said. Even though I prefer Momota's game I agree with what you said.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  13. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Sure Viktor used to be a lot more emotional, but that was literally yearS ago. He is so much more mature and composed nowadays. Also “slow” is definitely not the word I would use to describe Viktor

Khamenman likes this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Not only I also prefer KM's game but his attitude on court. Not like VA did anything that crazy but I am no fan of his antics on court. Yet it doesn't make VA less successful or his career less impressive and I think that's also why he is that dominating. He doesn't care about what others would think about him or his choices.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Why talk so much.. As a neutral, all i remembered is VA has always been top 6 or top during Momota era while during Axelsen era, i dont know where Momota goes.

so consistency itself Its Axelsen > Momota.

of course id also say the accident ruined everything. Thats what me and my partner agrees on.

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Why talk so much.. As a neutral, all i remembered is VA has always been top 6 or top during Momota era while during Axelsen era, i dont know where Momota goes. Im saying so because their titles arw more or less the same. VA has 18 SS titles i think its v close with Momota. Even same no of WC.

so consistency itself Its Axelsen > Momota.

of course id also say the accident ruined everything. Thats what me and my partner agrees on.

17. terrynguyen121988

I wrote wrong side, Viktor was fast and strong while Yamaguchi was slow and wait.

18. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yea very nice result for FajRi,,, getting the first WT1000 tittles,,, the beginning of 2023,,, (also a good mood/motivation for me for starting the week today hahaha)
    hopefully will be a good sign for much more to come (AE2023, Asian Games 2022/2023, WC2023, WT Finals 2023, etc. etc. and ultimately the olympics 2024,,, fingers crossed).

On yesterday's final, I thought FajRi would be under heavy pressured because CHN's equalized in the second game (by close margin), but after the G3 intervals, FajRi was unstoppable,,, attacking and defending well (I think their defense is underrated for some reason,,, although in defence is not as convincing/great as MAS (Chia/Soh), JPN (Hoki/Kobayashi), or Korea (SSJ etc.), but when they are focus, they have quite a solid (and creative) defense).
    Also Rian was not affraid challenging in front of the net (his shot selection is also good), able to dominate in those area as well.
    :D

Perhaps in the early stage of MO 2023, they had a bit of pressure being WR1,,, (and maybe on later stage, pressure because of being Indonesia's main/only hope)... but after sealing the tittle, I believe they will gain more and more confidence from now on!
    Come on FajRi!!! You deserve to be the best!
    :)

19. Bryan Wong

Bryan Wong Regular Member

Viktor is objectively better than everyone (at a minimum the level of Prime Momota and maybe even better because of his height); he might not have come into this level had Momota been there to flatten his mentality and confidence, holding the beast back (espc at The Olympics) but we all know what happened.

I can’t really see any weakness in his play now and he doesn’t need to even jump to land/threaten a lethal angle…so his balance is better for it. Any ideas on how to beat Viktor aside from getting him to fight himself mentally?

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    but they get 1 day of rest between every match.

Justin L and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  21. terrynguyen121988

In tennis, they play 2 games then take a seat, someone will use an umbrella to cover them while they are eating banana and drinking some beer.

samkool and Khamenman like this.