2023 Daihatsu Indonesia Masters

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by BadSmashPdx, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    KOR MS is doing poor yes. Heo was sacked? That sounds terrible. Jeon Hyeok Jin, what is he doing? SWH and LDK retired?

2. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

Jeon passed the trials and is part of the team again, SWH and LDK are semi-retired I guess. SWH played some lower tier tournaments last year but didn’t attend the trials afaik

3. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Both MS finalists look like they're having fun on court right now. Truly something special for all Indonesian fans I'm sure. Now, if only D. Wardoyo was a bit more consistent, he'd be have a better shot at winning this. As of now in G2 before the interval, I believe Christie will win this title, unless some some insane perseverance and willpower turns the comeback train on.

4. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

unfortunate.. i guess they need to bring back uncle lee hyunil from retirement

Sundis and Baddie lover like this.
  5. magnumcyclonex

Christie looking to win this in 2 games

6. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

CADW play so bad today.
    He beat NKLA, BY, LKY but still inconsistent

7. magnumcyclonex

I didn't watch his earlier matches, but I did see the one against NKLA in the semi finals. After the first game, it seemed that NKLA took his foot off the gas pedal and let Chico claw his way back through the match. Shock and disbelief for sure for him.

Chico's got great athleticism and reactions, but he looks so much more error prone than Ginting's worst days. Still, great job to him making the finals and obviously to Jojo for winning this event.

Perhaps The Badminton Experience can get Jojo on their podcast soon.

8. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Nice winner speech from Jojo about his win over Chico.
    "One word is not enough (to describe Chico), he is a very good player and doesn't give up easily, we train every day together and moment like this (all Indonesian final) is what we always dream of, I hope we will achieve more success together in the future"
    This young man has a big heart.

deepinthemusic and Gigabit like this.
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    MD, one sided. Not exciting. The CHN pair looks bemused.

10. synd3r

synd3r Regular Member

all of a sudden everyone fell silent, carnando/marthin deserved to be champions, that's why they beat hockeybay 21-3

11. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

ina win ms and md. should be ind who win :eek:o_O:confused::mad:;):D:oops:

12. gondarcool

gondarcool New Member

Couldn't agree more, looking at their performance at final, especially carnando, they deserved to be champ

13. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

What a day for host ea ea.
    Next is Thailand master super 300

14. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Congrats the Babies ...
    As they said during the interview, they must be ready at any time to back up (even in my opinion, they are ready to replace) their seniors in the national team.
    IMHO, Daniel martin plays like a machine gun that doesn't stop shooting, bang....bang...bang..!!!

#314 Habisin-Habisin, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well Just saw Marin highlight.. G2 An leads 19-16 19-18 21-18. Cant discount Marin could have win that in 2 at 19-18. Not bad at all.

16. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

He also charity lots of his winning if im not mistaken. Big heart indeed. His parents must be really proud of a fine young man he become.

ojayz and Habisin-Habisin like this.
  17. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Lol marin aint got no defense to be the best, she can attack for sure

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BadSmashPdx likes this.
  19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The unranked China women’s doubles spring major upset to stun more favoured FukuHiro, young and dangerous Liu SS tasted her maiden BWF tour title in senior stage, reigning world junior champion of two categories last year in Santander, huge talent to watch out ahead. The Japanese pair found exact strategy and answer to overcome aggresive rivals but it's too late to awake.

Marvelous stamina brought An to seal second title in new season, Marin sloppiness and rushing shot hampered her hard effort to earn point into futile, the scoring slowly through grueling duel, the Spaniard patience waned and started frustration after interval of third game, out of context completely, only deceptive or creative drop shot can defeat An superb defense. Two titles and runner-up in three successive week, practically she’s unstoppable, only Yamaguchi is strongest threat for the Korean gem.

China mixed doubles stay on top without their talismans Zheng/Huang, looks like the Olympic Champion Huang DP is more energetic and enthusiast paired up with Feng YZ. The fate of Wang/Huang in limbo to continue towards Paris 2024.

Jonatan Christie finally nails first ever S500 title and capitalising Axelsen absence, Istora Senayan magic charm strikes again after Asian Games 2018 where his career practically stagnated since then. Wardoyo was too busy to attack, needs improvement in some aspects, Christie strengthens defense department and changing pace in right time.

Carnando/Marthin out as champion is predictable against the unstable He/Zhou, the Chinese were too passive, unable to cope pressure, the Babies have more powerful attacking smash to bombard their opponent who had been installed as defensive position along this match. A big challenge for foreign players to play in extraordinary noise background.

20. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Nice job for Leo/Daniel wrapping up the gold medal!
    :)
    Actually I was hoping that the final would be against Liu/Ou, because it will be more difficult for the babbies, hence a good way for experience a tougher opponent in the final. However, winning the final is also a massive boost for the youngster, whoever the opponent!
    :D
    And now it will be a very interesting time for INA's MD, especially the AG2023 and OLY2024 is coming up,,, it will be very interesting who INA will choose for MD in those two very big events. I think quite likely, Fajar/Rian will be the favourite (if the consistency continues in 2023),,, and who will accompany FajRi? there are tons to choose and we'll see how it goes (I think Leo/Daniel is up for the challenge,,, hopefully with a more consistent performance this year, because last year (as mentioned by the finals commentator, leo/daniel only able to go through WT semifinal in Singapore open (and winning the tournament as well)). Therefore, Leo/Daniel consistency will be up for real test in the rest of 2023 WT tournaments.

And for FajRi,, I think they haven't figured out how to breakdown a very good and stable defensive opponent, especially when their attack doesn't work and when they are running out of gas/energy. It's quite clear on SF that in G3, they still love full attack-attack-attack mode, eventhough the opponent is very good on returning every smash/drop/chop variation they gave... until Fajar/Rian energy drained.

I think FajRi (maybe) can try to adopt playing around with the opponent by giving lob-lob-lob (just like minions when the opponent is on super-defensive mode and with the slow shuttle)... but I don't know, maybe the crowd will be bored of it and attack-mode is FajRi preferred type of play.

Have a nice week everyone and Happy Badminton, stay healthy as always!
    :D