2022 TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships : R/64-FINAL (22-28 August)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 21, 2022.

1. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

it's very usual. What unusual is there're a #16 in finals

2. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

so finally managed to watch recording of jeppe/lasse vs buwaneka/sachindias srilankans....not bad eh.....decent smash decent defence fast strong big court coverage

maybe a slightly less serious play from denmark camp but i don't think there's any match fixing or anything like that

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think its matter of time for Malaysia to have World Champ after all the past disappointments. Previously, 4 Runner ups in MD alone. Surely surely its time for Joy.

and AaronSoh is actually the favourite here. Also if this is the purpose of WC, then its good to see new WorldChamp.

Therefore, i guess im rooting for AaronSoh, Chen, KimKong, YutaArisa and Kunlavut.

4. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

It will be surperise if daddies win, Hendra will won 5 gold like LD, PJB, and ZYL

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At this rate, it's obvious Akane's strategy is to wear CYF down tomorrow the same way she has done to ASY today. Unless CYF is able to overpower AY in attack and, as needed, keep the rally going long enough to counter AY's amazing retrieving, defensive and counterattacking ability, given what happened in their previous two encounters, that doesn't look likely.

Tbh, I'm not optimistic CYF who has a relatively tougher route to the final has the energy and stamina to do that, provided she has prepared something special this time round. I think Akane's reign as world champ looks set to continue, at least 60% chance, if not higher.

Anks and galaxyduo like this.
  6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I also rate Akane as the favorite to win

Anks likes this.
  7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My predictions.

Ms Viktor. Unless vitid can grind victor to 3 sets. Vitid doesnt have the speed or power. Just a rally and intelligent thinking player.

Md Daddies. unless aaron soh can reduce mistakes and use their speed to unsettle the daddies.

Ws Yama. She is motivated to win at home. Stamina and agility is better.

Wd. China. Very consistent and solid defence. Unless their defence cracked up.

Xd. China. Depends a lot on Higa to feed Yuta.

Anks likes this.
  8. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

betting odds [​IMG]

Yoji likes this.
  9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Md indians played wrong strategy again and again trying to rally low drives with a shorter player.

They shd have let aaron smash knowing he has no power and wont last. U see his hand wrappings? ;)

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I'm surprised that Aaron/Soh is the favourite considering Malaysians' past record in WC finals. I think all Malaysian badminton fans should put money on Daddies lol. If Aaron/Soh lose they get some money as consolation, if Aaron/Soh win they can still be happy nonetheless!

Yoji and extremenanopowe like this.
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah actually i believe the IND MD should have just lifted especially in G2 where its quite obvious Aaron is struggling. There is no risk in doing it when they are 1-0 up.

extremenanopowe likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As for Viktor, who will bet against him tomorrow? Not me. Despite Kunlavut's remarkable consistent rallying game with very few mistakes, I doubt he can withstand VA's relentless attacks coupled with good defence. Besides, KV doesn't seem to have a killer weapon.

By the way, I've to hand it to that old workhorse Chou Tien Chen today, impressed, mature, experienced, smart, thinking player, single-minded, self-motivated, extremely hardworking. Hats off to him. Too bad he didn't have many top-tier results to show for; however, commendable , nevertheless.

#1012 Justin L, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    LenaicM, Simeon and Anks like this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

MD: record for Daddies or first time for Malaysia

WD: the queen of the "screams" from boiling water pot at 100 degrees: Chen Qing Chen vs queens of dolphin voice: Kim/Kong

WS: World champion 2021 vs Olympic champion 2021

MS: "the Good and the God"

XD: The great puncher Zheng Siwei vs sandbag of the century Watanabe

Anks likes this.
  14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

my prediction in bold...

15. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

My thoughts on the finals.

MD: Ahsan/Setiawan have a 7-3 H2H record again Aaron/Soh but the Malaysians have won the last two encounters. The slow playing conditions would benefit the Indonesians. If Malaysia wins it'll be their 1st gold medal. If Indonesia wins Hendra would be one of the best MD players of all time (toss-up between him and Fu Haifeng).

WD: Chen/Jia also have a 7-3 H2H record against Kim/Kong with the Chinese winning the last 4. Chen/Jia have pretty much destroyed everyone on their way to the finals this year and they're the heavy favourites. Koreans also may be tired from their 92minute match yesterday against Thailand.

MS: Axelsen leads the H2H 4-0 against Kunlavut. Even if this was their first time playing each other the Dane would be the overwhelming favourite. However, Kunlavut is in great form too and with the slow conditions he may have a chance to frustrate the Dane. It should be mentioned that he's only 21 years old and to be in a world championship final is already amazing.

WS: Akane 13-8 H2H against Chen Yufei and she's won the last 3 including their last encounter at the 2022 All England. I'd expect this game to be the longest out of all the finals since they're both rallying-type players. Both have an equal chance to win.

XD: Zheng/Huang with a dominating 10-2 H2H against Watanabe/Higashino. The Chinese have won the last 3 encounters and are looking to win their 7th final in a row. Strong favourites. Higashino is 100% the weakest player of the four, especially her defense. With the slow conditions, if she can withstand the smashes of Zheng then the Japanese also have a chance to win.

Sundis and Simeon like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, when Tai TY won G1 convincingly whilst CYF looked tentative, I told myself it's going to be TTY's day and perhaps tournament where she finally breaks the jinx and capture the elusive major title. But, alas, it was not to be.

On the contrary, this third victory in a row for CYF and 5 wins to 3 losses in their last 8 encounters since 2019 World Tour Finals over TTY doesn't bode well for the latter. In fact, I'm even thinking it might result in CYF becoming sort of nemesis to TTY going forward. To compound matters, CYF is reaching her peak at age 24 whereas TTY at 28 is more or less at the tail end of her long career which started around 12 years ago when she began as a 16 year-old child prodigy.

Very concerning for TTY as time is not on her side, assuming she is carrying on till Paris '24 OG; only two attempts left at the most-coveted World and Olympic Championships. Hard not to be pessimistic for her case.

Anks likes this.
  17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Today in the third set since the very begining we could cleaely see she was out of gas and making horrible errors...It goes to show that age is catching up to her and its very normal we also see it with Marin who is a great fighter but these Younger girls like Akane and Chen,ASY they are just much younger and have the stamina and pace to run and catch all their deceptive lops and drops and cross court smashes and what not.

Younger girls have cracked the TTY code and that is to keep returning the shuttle and eventually Tai becomes the victim of her own deception,her deception ends up being an error and thats what Chen does soo superbly well.

Tomorrow its gonna be an exciting one though my heart is with Chen but mind says something else and deep down I know that after this long encounter Chen must be tired in comparison to AY's match which was fairly short but lets see what happens.

TTY's best chance to be remembered as a World Champion was in 2017 but she missed it and now Im afraid it will only get harder and harder not only for her and all the batchmates of hers (Carol,Pusarla,Ratchanok,Nozomi) as they are all 27 and older and I think in 24 we may see ASY,AY and May be CYF again on the Oly Podium but as much as it hurts me to say this I dont think Ratchanok will fulfill her dream of an Olympic Medal which is very sad but she is great anyways.

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Is Kunalvut the youngest MS finalist in WC history or did someone younger reach the final before already?

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're omitting that FHF also has one more OG silver. Imop 1 OG silver > 1 AG Gold and OG Gold >>> AG Gold. AG ranks at most around an AE since it's a regional event. Rarity doesn't equal quality automatically...
    HS would make a stronger case to be considered the GOAT individual MD player, sure. I don't think it would be indisputable though as they're so close to each other in terms of medals/titles. It'll still depend on preference.

Definitely already is one of the best of all time - although I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, your post reads as if he'd need that gold to be considered one :D

#1019 j4ckie, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    skhai91 likes this.
  20. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

I don't really understand why Setiawans GOAT Status should depend on the Outcome of the final. You can definitely make a Case for Fu Haifeng. He has won so much and even a Gold and Silver at Olympics more than Setiawan.
    But there is luck and good Timing involved, which Fu Had more than Setiawan. He also Had two ATG Partners on His level, while Kido and Ahsan are clearly below Hendras Level.

So don't Just Look at the titles. Both have more than enough. Look at their level of Play. You can still make a Case for Fu here. Deadliest backcourt Player ever. Very Solid defense and mentality. For me its Setiawan. He ist technically and tactically far above everyone Else. He knows how to Score Points Like No other. I can understand other opinions, but don't judge only by titles.

j4ckie, Anks and wade like this.