2022 Daihatsu Yonex Japan Open

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by vozer here, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One hour 24 mins so far!

2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

And it's not like they are playing long rallies. Oh, there was one. :D

Sumanth99, Cheung and Simeon like this.
  3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Kevin -Marcus lost to Kim x 2. I have mentioned before the MD of this era have not match up in standard to the MD of 2010 to 2016. Kim x 2 were the 3rd MD pair of Korea from 2012 to 2015 and they were no push over even for Lee YD - YYS or FHY-Cai Yun. Now in later years they can still beat top MD pair goes to show that Stds have dropped.

The person who voted Kevin-Marcus as top 5 MD pair for the last 10 years may be off the Mark.

dood1234 and Justin L like this.
  4. sen

sen Regular Member

And some people become invincible post covid like Viktor Axelsen

jsteve and justiceforlcy like this.
  5. om patel

om patel Regular Member

Congratulations Fajar/Rian on another
    Title for the year!

prediction Liang / wang going to take them to the rubber match

finals
    twin towers
    Vs
    Fajar/Rian

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

doesnt really matter though. Minions arent their best anymore.

i def think they are top 5, top 3 actually. They are the most dominant MD pair that this century ever sees (2016-2021) with their SS records and 200+ weeks WR1. Not winning WC put them off being the best.

Habisin-Habisin and om patel like this.
  7. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Don't want to argue about who or which era is the greatest, but the minions lost to duo Kim when their performances were in a declining phase, not a surprise.
    Apart from that, there are no outstanding achievements from Duo Kim in current MD era.
    IMO, the Minions' defeat of them may not be enough to conclude there is a drop in standards in today's MD era.

Lin "super" Dan at the end of his career also suffered defeats to Ka Long and Tsuneyama who were just layers to Momota, and that didn't change anything

#207 Habisin-Habisin, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

INA dispatches five combinations here but one by one faltered, unable to clear last sixteen hurdle, two pairs had passed their peak era meanwhile the other two still seek establishment process to be consistent and reliable force, only Alfian/Ardianto stay in fray and will take on Chinese dangerous rookies Liang/Wang tomorrow.

More MS seeded players continue to sent packing early, Christie can't endure Nishimoto orthodox rallies and visibly weary in third game, the Indonesian scored point efficiently to taking initiative quickly into the net occasionally. Then Loh KY repeats his usual ludicrous pattern, lost momentum and focus suddenly after leading all the way but choked at the end. Prannoy read well how to handle the always rushing former World Champion. Chou TC power pasts Lu GZ while Antonsen won a thrilling match against JPN latest hotshot Naraoka.

Yamaguchi came back from behind to beat He BJ in three game, the Chinese left-hander seems back to square one how she displays old version performance rather than fast-paced attacking player in GER Open, her insufficiency agility contributes serious problem to face superb retriever and excellent court-coverage player. The Japanese star no doubt poses the biggest opponent for China squad alongside Tai TY to conquer in their effort to resurrect success in this category. A close contest projected in bottom-half of draw, Marin v An SY and two skillfuls yet error-proned leading ladies face off each other.

A tragic scene witnessed Pearly Tan retires due to injury, an emotional Tan was wheelchaired off the arena in trailing 11-16 third game to Baek HN/Lee YL. China sole survivor, Chen/Jia will find challenging foes tomorrow, Rahayu/Ramadhanti, interesting clash to follow, China back-ups withering simultaneously, stuck development at the moment.

TV Court - LIVE COVERAGE
    upload_2022-9-1_19-8-42.png

9. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Similar situation in XD these last 3-4 years, zheng/huang are so dominant (they even won WC 3 times) but for me they're not better than zhang/zhao when they were at the top of their game, the competition simply much tougher back then. I already said in the previous thread, how can you be the 3rd best pair oat if you can't even get a medal at the WC or OG ? like that's simply laughable

10. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Hmm if LKY, LZJ and KM had a mini tournament, who will win?

11. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

MS seeds are being knock off one by one. Can Ctc or antonsen win the title?

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah, definitely this is true. But ZZ also won a lot of titles , big titles. you cant say JJS/LYD won a lot of titles, did they win 15SS? and No WC to put them above Minions. If they win like 20 SS and 2WC, id prolly change my mind. Simply cant put pair that won almost 30SS outside top 3. These are also major titles.

Other than that , dominance in MD is way tougher than XD. Its still so much easier for Zhuang to win than Minions in 16-21.

In any case, i only use the numbers to say who is the best though. there is no sentiment, past generation, new generations or what not. For big titles, i can give extra credits thats why i put CaiFu > Minions even though CaiFU overall won less titles. while Minions > JJS LYD.

#212 Yoji, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Shi Yu Qi can be the one

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

XD era of competition and standards now are like 4/5 levels below the past while MD era of competition (which is really tight now) and standards at worst is only 1-1.5 below the past.

comparing it is folly.

15. wade

wade Regular Member

The fact that kim/kim was the 3rd best korean pair back then is kinda crazy

16. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

This is exaggeration. Zheng Siwei is a generational player. WYL is world class too.

skhai91 likes this.
  17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Good to see pretty boy SYQ back to SF of SS

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

you maybe right. But im seeing XD as a pair and not as a player. Theres a lot of weakness in the female players of this era that delevate the standards of competition. Had ZSW/hyQ plays in ZZ/Natsir/CP era, i doubt they will win more than 10SS.

Honestly i cant remember when the last time i watch XD match.

19. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Praveen ranked #2 with Susanto I recall? Ko with KHN was also not that impressive as #1

20. wade

wade Regular Member

Imo zheng/huang & huang/wang are comparable to zhang/zhao & xuma (I even think huang/wang are better than xuma), it just there's no pair from other country that can consistently challenge them. back then we have tontowi/natsir & fiescher/pedersen, and they're much better than let's say yuta/arisa & dechapol/sapsiree.