2021 Yonex Astrox 88S/D PRO & GAME versions

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Vivek Bagadhi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I dont like the look of the D Pro either. The S pro is stunning though.

Saw a pic of one with BG80power orange. Seemed to go quite well.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

if you not in hurry to get new toy, just wait for next year. Pretty sure YY would release new color 88D Pro.

3. keane_mark2

keane_mark2 Regular Member

Just broke my first 88d pro via classic racket clash, tbf the racket racket went through a lot before breaking on me (think 6+ months every day except Sunday).
    I bought a new one , a bit sad it doesn't have any other colour to choose from. Maybe I've got used to the racket so much but whenever I use z-force 2 (spare racket) my arm feels out of balance. 88d pro is really good balance racket good for net and rear court. Wish it wasn't so damn expensive. :(

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So I've tried a few other rackets since i got the S pro. They've all been rejected before the end of the first game. So I've just had to order a spare. Thank you @ckyew for the discount code, and the reviews (even if I disagree on which is better out of the D and S).

ckyew likes this.
  5. Yuiibo

Yuiibo New Member

Designer
    Just changing between 3U and 4U it is not making your smash faster significantly.
    Your string will be the game changer. What strings and tension you use. Since this is for the advanced player racket, better we have 24 lbs ++ as the tension.

I am using Nanogy 95 - 27 lbs. Have to admit this combination string is lack of power. You might want to use high repulsion to generate power will be a good options.

I own 4U 88D Pro for me it is not that head heavy. I decided to put some tape on the head to put more weights on it.
    The good thing is this racket shaft is Stiff not like my spare racket 100ZZ a bit stiffer.

If you are looking for more power 88D Pro is still behind 100ZZ or 99 Pro IMHO.

6. ice man

ice man Regular Member

I use 88D pro 4U too and yeah it’s not that head heavy when playing. But weirdly it smashes like a head heavy racquet - even if it’s not as powerful as say the 99 pro - it does the job.

As with all 4U racquets you have to have a relaxed swing with good follow through to get the best results out of it as opposed to 3U where the heavier weight gives you some inertia

buibui2 likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    are you using 3U or 4U?

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    4U. BANG on 84g dry, both of them. Strung 28lb with varying flavours of G tone 5, aerosonic and exbolt 63.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

9. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Glad they came in handy! :D

10. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hey guys, currently playing with the the 88dp 4U. When in good condition, it's an amazing racket but in my off days, I'm feeling a little slow.
    How is the 88sp 3U compares to the 88dp 4U? Is the 88sp still faster and less powerful?

11. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

88SP 3U 'feels' faster and easier to maneuver compared to 4U 88DP. But when just holding the racket it's noticeably heavier and slow. Idk it's just while swinging it feels faster.

In terms of power? It produces just a tad bit less in power compared to the 88DP.

Iykyk. Really need you to try both rackets to understand what I mean

12. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Thank you. I'll look for one to to try but won't be easy

13. Rammler

Rammler New Member

Got the 88d Pro and S Pro today an tested them out. The 88dp is indeed a lot head heavier than the s pro. But the s pro is a lot faster. Smashing with the s pro is a challenge, but its possible. In the end you need to decide if you need more power or more Speed. I am a good hitter but lack speed a little bit. The 88S Pro helps me compensating this so i like the 88s pro a little more.

14. ice man

ice man Regular Member

Don’t know if you’re using 3 or 4U, but comparing the two 4U pro versions I much prefer the D pro. It’s just way more powerful. If you play singles it’s really tricky to escape if you’re trapped at the rear with the S pro 4U… same as if you’re playing two good defenders in doubles that are happy to lift everything to defend smashes. 88S pro lacks penetrating power in 4U (at least for me), 88D pro 4U is quick enough for fast paced doubles and has THAT penetrating power. In fact I find it attacks even better that S pro and arc11 3U…