2020 Thomas/Uber cup

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by Cheung, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

First of all @wannaplay I don't like people who put down Asian nations. I respect all countries and a lot of opinions. If you read the Danish journalist's article in the right context, he believes that the BWF is primarily to blame for this situation and not the nations.

@samkool I do believe that the journalist knows the system very well and has also understood it. He is a well known professional badminton journalist who works for Danish pay TV. He also writes that BWF has to become more professional in order not to lose touch with other sports. (Sponsors, children who don't watch 2020 Badminton on TV and play a different sport). This is the same opinion that Anders Antonsen takes in his statement.

I can fix this with a simple example. This year's Tour de France featured 22 teams, 19 qualified teams according to world rankings and three wildcards for teams from France. No team said it was too dangerous to ride the tour, every team started, although France has more than 10,000 new Covid cases every day. After three weeks of the Tour de France, not one of the 178 riders tested positive for Corona.

@sen He only writes that he is sure that most of the players would have played in Denmark if there had been points for the race to Tokyo. I am also sure that he is right when he says that almost all players would then have played independently of Corona. And that is not irrelevant, of course it is nicer when the players play for the honor and a few thousand USD. But the fact is that for most players, participating in the Olympic Games is the highlight of their careers.

This can also be seen in the fact that in years of Olympic qualification the fields of participants in tournaments are more occupied. Example:
    The German Open is a medium-sized tournament (300, in previous years Grand Prix Gold) Here I have the seeded players (men's singles number 16, all other disciplines number 8) at the tournaments in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and their respective positions at the time in the world rankings.

2015 MS (16) Wong Wing Wi Vincent (WR 29)
    2015 WS (8) Miriatsu Mitani (WR 16)
    2015 MD (8) Fuchs / Schöttler) (WR 16)
    2015 WD (8) Kah Mun Hoo / Khe Wei Woon (WR 17)
    2015 XD (8) Hei Reginald / Hoi Wah (WR17)

2016 MS (16) Sho Sosaki (WR 20)
    2016 WS (8) Sayaka Sato (WR 13)
    2016 MD (8) Ivanov / Sozonov (WR 13)
    2016 WD (8) Naoka Fukuman / Kurumi Yonao (WR 10)
    2016 XD (8) Arends / Piek (WR 14)

2017 MS (16) Anders Antonsen (WR 33)
    2017 WS (8) Ayumi Mine (WR 21)
    2017 MD (8) Isara / Phuangphuapet (WR 17)
    2017 WD (8) Tanaka / Yonamota (WR 16)
    2017 XD (8) Zhang Nan / Li Yinhui (WR 17)

It becomes very clear that the 2016 Olympic qualification means that the players take more exertion and play tournaments in order to qualify for the Olympics or to achieve a better seeding position.

In these difficult times, of course, each person has their own view of things. Let's stand together and bring badminton forward. The state of having no tournaments at the highest level is no longer sustainable. Every sport is played again worldwide under special hygienic conditions, only badminton is not. That kills badminton! Stay safe!

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    good to know. so he should be writing in more detail about what should be changed and how to change it. after all, the danes are the top executives of bwf right now.

at the very least he could report about what, if any, future changes are being discussed. did you know the service height rule took over 8 years to decide? that is pathetic for a governing committee by any measure.

#162 samkool, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Version 2 of the M & Q for the Denmark Open has been published.

Japan will participate, as will Hong Kong; in addition there will be partial participation from Taiwan, India, and Thailand (one player in Thailand's case).

Notable removals include Team Indonesia, Team China, and Team Malaysia.

4. jctai

jctai Regular Member

The author did exactly that, calling Asian players selfish and claiming that if BWF unfreeze the points for Olympic for the TC, UC and DO, Asian players will be in Denmark in a heartbeat. So what he really meant was that Asian players faked their concern for their own health and purposely screw over Denmark because they have no monetary gain in going to Denmark. The truth is he knows nothing about Asian way of thought and imposed his own values onto Asian players. If you don't know, Asians firmly believe in "live to fight another day" as opposed to "now or never, so if I die trying, so be it". If the author cannot take into account the differences between our cultures I would highly recommend him to write for a sport which stakeholders are not made up of 90% Asian countries.
    Let's face it, some Danes are mad at global crisis that human being has no control over it, yet. The virus has handed Denmark badminton a super sh!t sandwich that no other national badminton association would like to eat themselves. Did Denmark Badminton tried their best to organize with BWF? I liked to believe so, because we do have a Dane as the president of BWF, I absolutely doubt there's a barrier of language. So why dragged Asian countries under the water just because we prefer to live normally? Also I like to point the it is exactly the "why are you so afraid" mentality that many Asian players have been greeted with during their trip to All England that has deterred players from travelling to western countries. Tai Tzu Ying and Hong Kong players was met with unfavorable remarks when people found them wearing mask in their country so do forgive them for not having the strongest desire to go another Caucasian country to compete.

Sumanth99, skhai91 and wannaplay like this.
  5. sen

sen Regular Member

Not really true. Asian players have monetary gain if they go to Denmark. The Denmark open offer prize money and some of the players now earn more percentage of their winning money than in the past. There are also some Asian players who become independent of the association.

However, nobody can enter tournaments without the nod from the association so the associations who decide not to go.

That's why this kind of unproffesional way to enter tournament have to be changed but no change from very long time and it is making the sport more and more behind other sports.

Unfreeze ranking probably not going to change much. Again the decision is not from the players

Bardie likes this.
  6. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I'm not the one claiming that Asian players have no monetary gain if they go for the DO, it is the author of the article shared by Bardie.
    My whole post is to point out the ridiculous claim by the author that Asian players are selfish because they inform they association that they don't want to join for their "fake" health concern.

I'm not saying BWF didn't do anything wrong, independent players have a high possibility got screwed over by their country's badminton association.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  8. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

no point responding to guy who brought our attention to the article. cant change his bias with a response on a forum. enough to point out his bias to others and watch him back paddle 'reading in the right context'... blah blah blah

9. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Please excuse me, you don't know me. So it is a cheek to say that I have biases. I have been volunteering in badminton for over 40 years, including 20 years on an international level. In the course of these 20 years I have worked with people from over 60 different countries and I know a little about the peculiarities and cultures of these people and I respect them.
    I have linked an article by a recognized badminton journalist from Denmark and put it in this forum for discussion. In this article he gives many points with errors in the BWF system and he also addresses what he sees as the wrongdoing of some associations from Asia. On some points he may have overshot the mark a little. In his overall article, however, he is certainly right when he says that badminton must be marketed more professionally in order to have a chance in the world market for sport.

sen and samkool like this.
  10. sen

sen Regular Member

Agree with the professionalism needed and the wrongdoing of some associations.
    It is definitely causing many problem when many of associations are run by politician and whatever they do is in the interest of their political gain first then the players' interest.