2018 HSBC BWF World Tour Final: Race to Guangzhou

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by minions, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin mapaliey

martin mapaliey Regular Member

wtf @ men's group:
    A: chou,shi yuqi,son wan ho,anthony ginting
    and then
    B: kento,tommy,kanthapon,samer

lol

nilesh123 likes this.
  2. minions

minions Regular Member

Not sure if you really mean World Tour Final or "What the f...." after seeing the group. :D

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Let's just assume the "gender indifferent" awards idea is executed.
    Next year we'll witness netizens saying stuff like:

Kento Momota over TTY? How come? MS isn't as fierce as WS right now, MS is in transformation state as the legendary trio are just departing downhill and KM doesn't have any real competition.

Also, imo gender differences however be a tricky department to comment on, Women's and Men's game are completely different. The playing style differs, the intensity of the game differs, players skills differs, their priorities differ, their body's "limits" differ, more importantly the disciplines are as different as they have similarities.
    By no means I am saying one is more competitive or difficult than the other. It's just comparing apples and oranges.

No wonder no sport has gender indifferent awards.

This will be even more obvious when you look at the Doubles discipline.
    Can you possibly compare Fukushima/Hiro or Takamatsu with the minions?
    Not to mention women would have less "time" to win the award, as their relevance in the circuit deceases quicker than the MS, i.e, longivity in the game. A WS player let's say SN or WYH (I believe they had the longest careers) will have barely what 10 years at max. Assuming they are their best throughout. Obviously, not possible.

Plus what about XD? They still stay relatively uncredited
    It's human nature to wonder the new "Ifs" but we quickly move to the new ones when they are executed. We find flaws in everything no matter what. The current system is pretty decent and that includes the decision of this year's awards.

PS I believe we are boring others :p

#443 nilesh123, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I believe she did everything one can possibly do or have in his/her's hands. It isn't her fault that fans may see her competitors, say TTY, has a "relatively more lucrative" discipline. Neither is it in her hands that other pairs in her discipline are nowhere near her calibre rn.
    A player can only go out their participate in his/her discipline give there best and try n win the matches.
    Which I believe she did in flying colours

5. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I agree with everything except your first line. Nothing to take away from HYQ's this season performance. But your first line contradicts with one of your statements in the previous post that KM over TTY? It's not the fault of KM that he's at his best while " other three legendary players are just departing downhill ". KM has no competition atm. Let's hope other players give him a tight fight in upcoming season.

Yes, WS discipline is toughest among other disciplines and TTY did a magnificent job this season. I don't find anything wrong in gender based awards like Men's or Women's player of the year as you said (which I agree) , they have different limitations and different playing styles.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I never said that. If you read carefully, I said, if the gender indifferent things comes up, people will come up with excuses like that.

7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Hmm, apologies for the mistake. I didn't read that carefully.

nilesh123 likes this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I am not TTY fan in particular.

TTY did everything she could too. And it took a lot of physical and mental effort to dominate in her discipline this year. It wasn't her fault either if she slowed down after AG and had won less titles later half of the year nor that her competitors were good enough to grill her due to her "off-form" or unwellness. How she dominated the whole field in over half a year was outstanding. You can't really expect her to win every titles when she had to play each and every tournament there was no matter how people believe that she was a super machine.

On the other hand, physical wise HYQ wasn't really affected (it was ZSW who did all the physical work and eventually dropped his performance in the past few months) and she had been sharing the mental pressure with her partner. I only asked for some "more than just so so" performances from her this year in WD (not necessarily to be no.1 in the world or even to win tournaments) because she played some too this year .

So for this year (and I emphasized again "this year"), I personally think that TTY > HYQ individually. But the award was already given out, so that's that.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

nilesh123 likes this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So. is it ethical to wear Red in Red court? Whats the code here?

11. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, it feels like she is a contestant in the Miss Universe. If you happened to visit KM's thread today, you will see my post about 3 pictures. The first picture features PVS while KM was coming out from the "door". See it for yourself. It will be less funny if I spoil here.

12. martin mapaliey

martin mapaliey Regular Member

i mean seriously ,what's the different....lol

13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I don't want to bore the audience :), but the above paragraph can be just as aptly be applied to Singles versus Doubles, i.e.,

"Singles and Doubles games are completely different. The playing style differs, the intensity of the game differs, players skills differs, ... more importantly the disciplines are as different as they have similarities.
    By no means I am saying one is more competitive or difficult than the other. It's just comparing apples and oranges.

Can you honestly compare Momota and the Minions or Tai Tzu Ying with FukuHiro?"

..... And, as it's an annual award, longevity is not an issue.

Whatever the case, it is a moot point. I will leave it here.

nilesh123 likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I should say you're overthinking or speculating a bit too much. First off, I doubt China or CBA , or even most MAs, take such awards too seriously, the nomination process and competition among the awardees wasn't a grand affair at all or keenly contested, not to mention there's no financial or in-kind reward; secondly, the event is entirely a BWF affair and conducted under their auspices; thirdly, it so happened the award ceremony was held in Guangzhou, China, where all the nominees gathered for the year-end finale, the WTF, the real show, not this side show just for promotional purposes; fourthly,I trust, BWF as the world governing body for the professional sport has the authority and stature as well as the reputation to maintain its principles and uphold its duties and responsibilities to the best of their abilities without fear or favour.

I mean, if CBA as the host nation of WTF is allowed to interfere or manipulate even in such a minor activity, for whatever reasons, goodwill or otherwise, if word leaks out as it surely would in today's Internet age, BWF's credibility and standing will be called into question,perhaps leading to a crisis of confidence in the incumbent administration, much to the detriment of the sport, and pay the price for it (even a small scandal may escalate into something big and spiral out of control). Just a thought.

(BWF head office is in Malaysia, why no one speculated BAM might try to 'influence' BWF's selection of GJW for one of the awards, for example? Just saying.)

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, this is a serious awards. Money will flow in for players who won it and its used to promote badminton.

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Shi Yuqi spoke in English!
    And nice to see players trying their luck with 'making' of food.

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    "I just like to eat" - Marcus :p
    ZSW so technical here aswell
    PVS looked stunning

Baddyforall likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Have we ever asked or wondered what is the criteria for each of the awards to honour the athletes, how are the nominees selected and the winners determined ?

Personally, for the categories, I'd much prefer they be based exactly on the five disciplines, namely, MS, WS, MD,WD and XD - the two singles and doubles departments are more different than similar and deserve separate treatment, and it's also good to differentiate the three doubles disciplines as individual pairs per se, not a good idea to single out a partner as better than the other as the combination work as a team, one partner cannot do without the other, regardless who the weaker link is.

#458 Justin L, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    stanleyfm, mantoufist and kurako like this.
  19. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

Nah, there is already world ranking to say who's the best in each discipline

Saru and stanleyfm like this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand but world ranking serves a different purpose and has its limitations based on the fact that it takes the best 10 results across all the various tournaments played by each individual player/pair for the past one year, not calendar year, and using only ranking points earned, disregarding titles won.

That's also why we have to define the criteria for each of the awards. In other words, the WR1 is not equivalent or synonymous to, say, The Best Player/Pair in The World for a particular year, not necessarily, it's open to argument clearly.

Again,how do we compare singles and doubles ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.