2018 Commonwealth Games

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Loh, Mar 23, 2018.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Now if only rookies don't exit in R1 in every tournament available it would be great.
    No, not everything should be handed like a gold platter to juniors.
    They need to work hard and justify their position to play MS1.
    What a joke, lose R1 and want people to believe you. Should have train more.

It'sMeMeMe, stanleyfm and Loh like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel that LCW should play this CWG in both team and individual events as it'll be his last, esp when the IND contingent is expected to send their top dogs.

nilesh123 and Loh like this.
  3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even if LCW participate, there is no guarantee he will win the CWG. It ll be great to see him play though.

4. Master

Master Regular Member

10-player squad list to be submitted to Olympic Council Malaysia Selection Committee for #CommonwealthGames2018

Changes:
    - Goh Soon Huat/Shevon Lai Jemie replaced Tan Kian Meng/Lai Pei Jing
    - Chow Mei Kuan replaced Woon Khe Wei
    - Soniia Cheah replaced Goh Jin Wei

[Source]

Forestal likes this.
  5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

NICE! So it'll basically be MAS vs IND fighting it out for the Commonwealth badminton crowns...

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

MS only LCW for Commomwealth Games? no 2nd representative?

7. Dummy=.=||

Dummy=.=|| Regular Member

Techinician
    goh soon huat maybe, i read that there will be 2nd pair of MD and WD from the mixed partner and single player.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think LCW has to give of his best when he meets the very good singles players from India.

9. Baddyforall

I am not even thinking of indian players. Singapore and Malaysia might have been preparing silently for this tournament. Lets not forget england's Rajiv ouseph. He is always a headache to many top players.
    After Mulyo left to singapore from india, i always had a thought he would have started his work silently. It's anybody's game but everybody will think of srikanth , lcw and prannoy as they are top ranked.
    Hoping for a great show this year. I cant wait to watch those matches.
    Let us not forget about Derek wong who performed brilliantly in the last edition.
    Do you have any singles players who are from singapore and good to challenge for the title?.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No Singapore will pose no problem. Derek has retired.
    I think our most promising youngster would be Loh Kean Yew in MS. But he has to spend time on his military service
    I don't think Rajiv is in good form judging by his recent performance. India is the team to beat apart from LCW if he is participating.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Come on Fox, this is multi-sports event that should seize attention ;)
    For badminton, Malaysia and India will show their prowess here.

Loh likes this.
  12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu sprains her ankle. Sindhu expected to miss team event and should recover in time for individual events.

13. Baddyforall

OMG. She is the contender for the title. No.
    Damn Injury.

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Her father said, they took all the necessary Mari's and there's nothing to worry. She's also attending lots of functions and galas lately, so itsi obvious it isn't too bad. Also, SN shall handle the team events easily. Only LM can be tricky.
    Kirsty hasn't been the same ever since the WC defeat to SN last year.

PS: why aren't they in the village already? Badminton starts right from day 1, team GB, Canada everybody's there. Last time was a disaster can't repeat the mishap

15. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

When will the draws for individual events be out.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

16. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Most likely after the actual opening ceremony of the C'wealth Games (because team events are played first)...

#36 Forestal, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  17. Master

Master Regular Member

2018 Commonwealth Games live stream guide: How to watch the Gold Coast Games online

The 2018 Commonwealth Games will take place from April 4-15 and will be hosted on Australia’s own Gold Coast. This is The Roar’s full live stream guide, telling you how you can watch every event at the 21st edition of the games.

The Commonwealth Games will be broadcast exclusively on the Seven Network. They secured the rights after outbidding 2014 Glasgow Games broadcaster Network Ten. This will be the first time Seven has broadcast the Commonwealth Games since Manchester 2002.

Seven also hold the rights to pay-TV, live streaming and radio for this event and their plans for coverage of one of the biggest sporting events to hit Australia this decade have recently been announced.

In a similar fashion to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, they will broadcast content on all three of their channels – 7, 7TWO and 7Mate – on TV.
    [website]

The coverage will begin with the Opening Ceremony, which is due to take place at 6:00pm (AEST) on Wednesday, April 4, and will likely conclude with the Closing Ceremony, ending at 11:00pm on Sunday, April 15.

Read More at : https://www.theroar.com.au/commonwealth-games/commonwealth-games-live-stream/

7CommGames | Watch Gold Coast 2018 on Seven
    https://7commgames.com.au/live

Forestal likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ‘We are Hong Kong’ – whether it’s Commonwealth Games or China National Games, says Auckland 1990 gold medallist Chan Chi-choi
    http://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong...ther-its-commonwealth-games-or-china-national

Hong Kong’s last gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games says pride at representing the city overrides politics

PUBLISHED : Monday, 02 April, 2018, 7:30pm
    UPDATED : Monday, 02 April, 2018, 10:34pm

[​IMG]
    Hong Kong's Amy Chan and Chan Chi-choi celebrate winning gold at the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. Photo: SCMP Pictures
    [​IMG]
    Chan Kin-wa

2 Apr 2018

Don’t try to put a political tag on us – the honour is the same whether it is the Commonwealth Games or the China National Games, said Chan Chi-choi who won Hong Kong’s last gold medal as a British colony at the 1990 Games in Auckland.

With the 2018 Commonwealth Games kicking off on the Gold Coast, Australia on Wednesday, Hong Kong’s participation in the Games is already a distant memory. It was at the 1994 Games in Victoria, Canada where Hong Kong bid farewell and since the handover in 1997 the city’s athletes have instead competed in the China National Games.

“To most of the athletes, we are doing the same for any major games, having the best preparation we can and striving for honour for Hong Kong,” said Chan, who with his partner, Amy Chan Lim-chee, won the mixed doubles gold for Hong Kong in Auckland.

[​IMG]
    Chan Chi-choi and Amy Chan in the final of the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. Photo: SCMP Pictures

It was also the last of the five gold medals Hong Kong have ever won at the Games as a former British colony since their debut in 1934. Hong Kong won their first gold in the men’s fours in lawn bowl at the 1970 Commonwealth Games before taking two more bowls medals (men’s fours and doubles) eight years later.

They also won a gold in the men’s free pistol in 1982. In Victoria, Hong Kong captured a total four bronze.

“Indeed, the chance of competing in major games back in those days were very limited and therefore we treasured every opportunity. Whether it was the Commonwealth Games or the National Games, we are representing Hong Kong and never thought about issues such as whether we were from the British colony or a special administrative region as we walk on to the court.”

[​IMG]
    Chan Chi-choi shows off his two medals won in the 1990 Commonwealth Games. Photo: Martin Chan

Chan also won a bronze medal in the mixed team event in Auckland, but four years later in Victoria, he had already retired as a player and became a coach. Chan, however, was the flag-bearer for the Hong Kong delegation for the opening ceremony because of the gold he had won four years earlier.

“I was told to lower the Hong Kong flag when passing in front of the Queen at the opening ceremony as we didn’t want to be seen pointing the flag at her,” he said. “But nonetheless, it was one of the glorious moments of my sporting career which I still treasure.”

Chan led the badminton team as their head coach to the 1997 Shanghai National Games, just two months after the handover.

[​IMG]
    Chan Chi-choi and Amy Chan return home with their gold medal. Photo: Martin Chan

“Badminton is always heavily contested among different teams in the Commonwealth and when I won the gold in Auckland, I had to fend off tough opponents from England and Malaysia before standing on top of the podium,” said Chan.

“But the standard of Chinese badminton is even higher as many of the competitors are of world level and every representative wants to win because the results would affect the resources their provinces could obtain in the next four years.”

[​IMG]
    Yeung Yik-kei (left) and Chan Chi-choi shows off their medals upon their return from the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. Photo: Martin Chan

The 2005 National Games in Nanjing, Hong Kong women’s singles Wang Chen abandoned her bronze medal match against Zhu Lin, of Shanghai, after playing the first few points. Wang, the Asian champion of the same year, said she did it in protest of her defeat in the previous round in the semi-finals after a number of dubious calls against her.

In Gold Coast, Malaysia will be sending their ace player Lee Chong Wei as they face tough battles from India, England, Scotland and Singapore in badminton.

“The Games atmosphere is different from the individual world tour as you are playing for your national team,”
    said Chan, who left the Institute in 2010 for good after spending 30 years in the sport. “I can still feel the excitement despite leaving the sport for almost 10 years. Badminton is always competitive in the Commonwealth Games and good luck to them.”

[​IMG]
    Chan Chi-choi holds the Hong Kong flag at the opening ceremony of the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. Photo: Robert Ng

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Chan recalls pride in representing HK

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We should win a medal in all five CWG badminton events, says Parupalli Kashyap
    http://zeenews.india.com/other-spor...on-events-says-parupalli-kashyap-2094977.html

The excitement was palpable in his voice as reigning men's singles champion Parupalli Kashyap predicted the Indian badminton team's best-ever haul, including a medal in each event, at the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

PTI| Updated: Mar 30, 2018, 19:51 PM IST

[​IMG]
    Twitter@Parupallik

New Delhi: The excitement was palpable in his voice as reigning men's singles champion Parupalli Kashyap predicted the Indian badminton team's best-ever haul, including a medal in each event, at the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

Four years ago, Kashyap had broken a 32-year-old record when he won India's third men's singles gold at CWG, emulating Prakash Padukone (1978) and Syed Modi (1982).

His exploits helped India bring home four medals from the discipline at the Glasgow Games -- one gold, one silver and two bronze medals.

Since that day when he stood with the tri-colour draping him, Kashyap's life took a massive turn as multiple injuries, including a calf muscle tear and a knee surgery coupled with poor form, saw his ranking dip and he eventually missed the bus for the Gold Coast Games.

"I would have loved to play again but if I were the team selectors, I wouldn't put myself in the team because Prannoy and Srikanth have done exceptionally well," the former world number 6 told PTI.

"We have a good team and if we can play to our potential, best possible scenario we should win a medal in all five categories, so more than four medals for sure."

Top seed India have been drawn with minnows Pakistan, Scotland and Sri Lanka in Group A of the Games, which will be held from April 4 to 15.

"We are top-seeded this time and it would boil down to who we play in semifinals. England have decent men and mixed doubles and there is Rajiv Ouseph in singles, but I feel advantage is with India as HS Prannoy and K Srikanth can beat him even though Rajiv generally plays better in such situation.

"Chirag and Satwik are also playing well, so it would be crucial. I think it is 60-40 in India's favour," Kashyap said.

"Against Malaysia, it is a 40-60 situation for us even with Lee Chong Wei because in women's singles we are strong. Men's doubles and mixed doubles they are better on paper, so it would be difficult.

"Even if we, unfortunately, lose in semis we still should win bronze as there are no team strong enough to compete. Last time we lost to Singapore but then they had decent mixed and men's doubles. Me and Sindhu had won but we lost the doubles. So I feel we will win a medal for sure in the team event," he explains.

Both Kashyap and RMV Gurusaidutt, who had won the bronze in 2014 CWG, couldn't make it to the team this time. 2010 champion Saina Nehwal, meanwhile, will return to compete in women's singles after an injury ruled her out of Glasgow.

Saina along with Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu are hot favourites to win the women's singles gold this time and Kashyap feels ideally the duo should fight it out in the final.

"In women's singles, Saina and Sindhu should reach the finals. Canada's Michelle Li (CWG gold) is there she is doing well, so it would be doing that one match correctly. Malaysia are decent but they shouldn't be a threat to Saina and Sindhu.

"But in men's singles, Malaysia have just Lee Chong Wei and England have Rajiv, they have sent just one entry in singles. So all four should reach the semifinal anyway."

Three-time Olympic silver medallist and former world number 1 Lee Chong Wei have won the gold twice in 2006 and 2010 edition. However, Prannoy had success against Malaysia at Indonesia Open and
    Denmark Open last year. Besides, the Malaysian also crashed out of the Glasgow World Championship after losing in the opening round.

"Never count a senior player out. He has won gold in 2010 and 2006 and three silvers in Olympics. He knows he has to up his level. He will fight and be in a better position. So he will be really tough to beat," said Kashyap, who won the Austrian Open last month and reached the 2017 US Open final.

"People say he loses against Lin Dan but then it is always in the finals. So he has basically thrashed everybody else to reach the finals, he is boss when it comes to big events. It is a remarkable achievement, so he is the favourite."

The 31-year-old from Hyderabad believes it will be all about handling pressure and said the doubles pairs too have a good chance.

"In men's doubles, I expect Chirag and Satwik to reach the medal round, they are playing well but there is always pressure because there is a decent pair from Singapore and might be two pairs from England," he said.

"In mixed doubles, there is Chris and Gabby and two Malaysian pairs, so it will be a tough fight for Jerry and Sikki to get a medal but they have been playing well, they reached the semifinals of Japan and India Open. So they can win if fight hard.

"Ashwin and Sikki have a clear chance to win a medal. They are capable, they have beaten tougher opponents, there will be two Malaysian, an English and Singapore pair but I think they can win."

20. Baddyforall

Good news.

Badminton’s new service rule won’t be used at Commonwealth Games

The Commonwealth Games, which start on April 4 with an opening ceremony, will be played under the old rules which mandate that the shuttle be kept above the waist height at the time of service.

“The Commonwealth Games Federation and the Badminton World Federation have agreed that the new service rules will not be used during the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games,” said a message communicated to the national associations.