2018 Barfoot & Thompson NEW ZEALAND Open : Qualification-FINAL (1-6 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Lakshya Sen is the only one who was able to take 1 game from Lindan in this tournament. Nobody else could even take a game.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Japan women are all the way in final. Sayaka Takahashi is too strong for first time finalist Zhang Yiman. Earlier on final day, Sakuramoto/Takahata destroy the inexperienced Cao TW/Zheng Y, much better fighting in second game by the Chinese but it's not enough to stop Japan WD to nail second Super 300 titles in this year.

Jonatan Christie slips on 19-15 second game is the turning point for Lin Dan to score six consecutive points, problem for most youngsters who can't cope pressure in critical moment and still hard to maintain consistency. Christie shout "Bisa" or " Can" to boost his confidence when leading 18-14 but it's too bad he falters at the end. It's not easy task to overcome great player with such marvelous achievement like Lin Dan, it needs extra motivation, determination, training, talent and superb stamina. Well, it's third time for Jonatan ended as runner-up, hopefully it will not long time to see this young man on top podium. His teammate Anthony Ginting had bagged two titles, KOR Superseries 2017 & INA Masters Super 500 in January 2018. With very highly competitve men's singles nowadays, these two Indonesian youngsters should raise their standard of play, Kento Momota and Viktor Axelsen will be their main rival for Tokyo 2020 project.

Wang Chi Lin scoops two titles, the toughest one is opening match against Korean tricky pair Seo SJ/Chae YJ who really trouble the Taiwanese with good placement. It's not save the best for last, men's doubles final serves predictable plot, TPE pair manage healthy leading 14-6 at first set then Angriawan/Hardianto are trying to chase slowly even lead by narrow margin, 14-15 but Chen/Wang stop their good comeback to seal first game 21-17 and next game the defending champion keeps focus to dictate from the start and extend their title with identical scoreline 21-17.

AUS Open Super 300 is the next stop of BWF World Tour, not favourable schedule as Thomas-Uber Cup Finals will coming imminently.

It'sMeMeMe, kwun, visor and 1 other person like this.
  3. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

That does not indicate anything. Example, if in the Final Lin Dan beats Chen Hong in straight set, does that mean Lakshya Sen is better than Chen Hong?

Most of the time he is just toying around.

4. Baddyforall

No need to jump in . Chill buddy. I did not imply that Lakshya Sen is 'greater' than x or y or z as you are saying. I just mentioned the facts. If you don't wanna know it, fine. Lemme post it for people to know. Cheers.

#204 Baddyforall, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    John I'm likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My humble observation agrees with your assessment - watch how Lin Dan played G3 as opposed to G1. In G1 he obviously underestimated Lakshya Sen, didn't take him seriously, and when he put his foot down , more in G3 than in G2, he simply put the young lad in his place, outmatched him, to say the least.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You wrote 'Nobody else could even take a game'.

Lin Dan was just being a nice guy to the kid to give him that game. As good as the kid is, he has still a long, long way to go before getting even near Lin Dan.

Justin L and Baddyforall like this.
  7. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

If you do not want anybody to jump in, don't post. Most of us are not interested on that 1 set.

Seriously, what is 1 set when comparing to Lin Dan losing in the first round of Asia Championship.

Last of all, I am not your buddy, please don't use that word as I had reserved it for my dog. Not even bro please, because we are not related.

8. Baddyforall

Seriously, you need some advice here. This is forum who can post normal messages without any obscene languages. You are the one here imposing your thoughts and asking people not to post. I am here to post. If you don't wanna read it , just close your eyes. That will be good for you considering your sensitiveness. ;):D

Whether you take it or not, that was the fact which i posted earlier. Again , i am posting it, that 16 year old took a game from Lindan when many experienced players just gone like puppets.

#208 Baddyforall, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The only fact in your post was that 16 year old took a game from Lin Dan. The rest wasn't.

10. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I would like to take this opportunity to say it was a real pleasure to have Morten Frost commentating in this tournament. His love of badminton,his knowledge of the game and the players and being one of the best players in his time,makes his commentaries so easy to follow and understand. His analysis of the matches is so professional and full of interesting points, be it a singles , doubles or mixed doubles match.
    I hope we can have him commentating in more tournaments. Together with Steen they bring great professional analysis to the games being shown . We see this class of commentaries in the table tennis tournaments shown on TV, as in the recent World Championships in Sweden.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I wonder if Steen and Morten had ever commentated together before? Or has it always been Gill-Steen or Gill-Morten combo?

12. Baddyforall

May be or May be not. The fact is he got a game in this tournament. I just wanted to mention it here.

13. Baddyforall

1) I noticed Zhao Yunlei in coaching bench
    2) Lakshya sen showing his potential.
    3) Good to see Morten Frost back in the commentating bench. This time Solo.
    4) Lindan in his element in this whole tournament.

Congratulations to the Winners. Next UP is Australia Open next week.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Not to mention also Wang ChiLin double title winner.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Baddyforall likes this.
  15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Is LD playing AO?

16. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

No

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

who was the last opponent LinDan opened his shirt to after victory? Lee ChongWei at 2012Olympic/2013WC??

just show what it means to beat JC after being trounced at ChinaOpen (cant remember LD losing that comfortably too). He can make you uncomfortable if you are not ready. Nothing special but ready to take his opportunities type.

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

vs LCW at AE this year

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Seems like LD is taking his shirt off to everyone these days...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

20. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I know it's not going to be a popular position, but I have to disagree. I don't think he's awful, but I don't find him great at all. He's got a very pleasant voice and is incredibly eloquent for a non-native speaker of English, so on the presentation side of commentary, he's good. Content wise, not so much. He doesn't offer the same kind of insights as Steen does and even makes really weird statements at times. Yesterday, he was also incredibly biased in the matches I've watched and that is never a good sign for a commentator.

Michael V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.