2016 Rio Olympics Badminton Venue

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by kwun, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

BWF members were there at the test event to note down every complain coming from LD's mouth. So,i believe everything will be fine come Olympics.

One of the member said that the conditions and final appearance will be similar to Beijing/London Olympics.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The smaller volume pool probably has less to do with buoyancy than the nature of currents and resistance of the walls. (Numerous swimmers in small volume probably create a lot more current and flow confusion, thereby complicating resistance).

Maybe the bigger hall has less natural flow of air per unit volume (despite A/C). Or more stratification of temperature layers? Or a humidity effect?

Can't wait to hear how the smart people explain it. :)
    (all i learned from physics was how to make sets for the school play for which our teacher was the producer.:confused:)

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I'm not sure swimming is a good example, because you swim on top of the water, whereas a shuttle won't fly on top of the air.

I think adjusting the shuttle speed is a good point, but I'm not convinced it's a complete solution. How will a drive be impacted in comparison to a lift?

To be honest though, I only spoke from experience, comparing the places I've played. I have no science to back me up :-S

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    there is a 'political' answer to your observation. i'll give you the response you would receive from bwf if you asked them about it.

yes, bwf regulations require a 12m ceiling. however, if the olympics are not a bwf event, but an ioc event, bwf may advise on regulations but the final decision is up to the event owner. if the olympics are a bwf owned event, they have the authority to let the ceiling height pass. nothing is written in stone with bwf.

that is why if you look at some of the past regional thomas/uber cup trials and the commonwealth games, you might scratch your head and think 'whoa, there are things about the playing conditions that do not seem to be right...' thomas/uber cup finals are bwf events, the continental trials are not.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

This argument is invalid, because the Olympic Games are mentioned in this rule but nothing about the continental Thomas/Uber-Cup qualifiers or the Commonwealth Games.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm pretty sure we are saying the same thing. something may be getting lost in the translation.

my ?'n to you, phili, is which part is invalid?

to be more clear: bwf has the authority to make accommodations for, or waive, any rule that the bwf wrote.

in the olympic scenario (for the sake of debate) let's say the venue has been completed and the clearance comes in at 11.5m, as kwun speculated. next, bwf is told by the builders/contractors it is impossible for the floor to be lowered and the ceiling cannot be raised...and any type of quick fix is impossible. basically, a gross error in construction. what do you think happens? tear it down? rebuild? find a new venue?

the best source to answer our debate would be bwf. give them a call or email them. all of their contact info is on the bwf site. http://www.bwfbadminton.org/form.aspx?id=2993

let us know what they say.

gotta love the internet...:D:D:D

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The regulations on ceiling height are clear: a minimum of 12m for the specified major events (the Olympics being one of them); and, a minimum of 9m (12m desirable) for other BWF or international events.

Accepting a ceiling height less than 12m is just another example of BWF's usual ineptitude.

8. SolsticeOfLight

I'm sorry for asking, but why do we even care?
    Is the shuttle going to hit the ceiling?

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    below 12m, yes. that is why we care.

10. SolsticeOfLight

What're some venues with lower ceilings?
    I can't remember any cases where the ceiling has been hit.

11. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

That's exactly the point, isn't it? The Chinese Taipei coach said he had never seen a competition venue with such low ceiling.