2016 Rio Olympic Games : Post-Match Analysis

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by pcll99, Aug 20, 2016.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Please share any interviews, analysis, translations, twitters, weibo, articles, etc, here..

Your own views and analyses are also welcome..

#1 pcll99, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    kwun likes this.
  2. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Just watched WS final again and did count how points were won:

First game 21-19 to Sindhu
    Marin scored 11 points by herself and got 8 points from Sindhu's unforced errors.
    Sindhu scored 5 points by herself and got 16 points from Marin's unforced errors.
    I would say clearly Marin lost this game to unforced errors.

Second game 21-12 to Marin
    Marin scored 15 points by herself and got 6 points from Sindhu's unforced errors.
    Sindhu scored 5 points by herself and got 7 points from Marin's unforced errors.
    Marin cut the number of unforced errors and won easily.

Third game 21-15 to Marin
    Marin scored 13 points by herself and got 8 points from Sindhu's unforced errors.
    Sindhu scored 8 points by herself and got 7 points from Marin's unforced errors.
    Clearly this game was highest quality from both players as most points were won rather than lost.

So in total Marin did 30 unforced errors and Sindhu did 22 unforced errors. Marin's attack was clearly more effective with 39 points scored to Sindhu's 18 points scored. Not saying a player should score all points by herself, Wang Shixian has been very succesfull player just waiting for unforced errors. But to me this statistics shows that final match was always in Marin's racket; if she can keep unforced errors low she is difficult to beat.

AlaZheng and kwun like this.
  3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Nice analysis. That was exactly how I felt watching the match. It was all on Marin's racket. What a player.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The number of unforced errors by Marin is only natural I think, as her style of play (fast, attacking, proactive) is risky.

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

And yet she manages to win when it matters - 2014 World Champs, 2015 World Champs, and 2016 Olympics. 2017 World Champs? I wouldn't count her out.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    overall i think this was the best badminton tournament ever. for me the tension and pressure adds to the excitement and outweighs some of the sloppy games i saw.

for example: when gvs & twk both missed their serve on consecutive match point opportunities, i felt their pain more than i ridiculed their rookie error.

is there any higher pressure than olympic pressure? experience pays off.