2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-9 (19th August) - WS & MD Gold Medal, WS Bronze Medal, MS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2016.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

There is no GOAT. Just enjoy and appreciate what each badminton great has given for the sport. Is that so difficult?

nizze and jma97 like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The GOAT appellate on Lin Dan is endorsed by Peter Gade, Xiong Guobao, Lee Hyun il (indirectly ,"the perfect shuttler"), grudgingly acknowledged by Le CW ("there's only one Lin Dan"), just to name these few great players, and there are many famous coaches,sport commentators and writers who said likewise.

What say you ? Your idol, LCW, a non-achiever ?

3. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student

from WS GOAT to one of the GOAT
    that is different :p

Inthanon from thailand, not badminton powerhouse, win the WC 2013 in Guangzhou China, to become the youngest WS player.

so what is the problem if Marin from spain, as thailand also not badm powerhouse

4. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    if "player A" records is unmatched by one, surely he is the GOAT.

if LD records is unmatched by anyone, absolutely he is the GOAT :p

#1864 Fortune, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Had the third set deuce gone Lin Dan's way, all those Lin Dan haters, where will they be? Slunked away but now they are out having a field day.

Sadly, what's happening in this forum is a microcosm of the world at large, perpetual conflicts and wars. Peace is not simply the absence of war.

Read Johan Galtung's concept of Positive and Negative Peace
    http://www.activeforpeace.org/no/fred/Positive_Negative_Peace.pdf

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, so simple and logical, based on facts and evidence.

None so blind as those who won't see.

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    yes.
    to become MS GOAT :
    3 OG Golds is neccessary to win if other player also has 2 OG, 5 WC, and 50 or 60 SS / Open / GP titles plus positive H2H and world records.

if other player can't achieve the same, then 2 OG and 5 WC is more than enough

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course, it's my opinion but one shared by many, I'm sure.

Ji Xinpeng, the 2000 Sydney Olympic Gold Medallist, a great player or not ? Better than all those who have not won any ?

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So now when LCW finally won against LD in a major tournament he was lucky. I see. I agree, it could have gone either way, but what you fail to understand is, that it could have gone either way at the WC11, Olympics 12 and numerous more as well. But you know what you wrote when people tell you that or post it. Surely LD is not lucky to win 21 points each set. He earned it by his sheer determination and will power. [...]

No credit to LCW this time from you, although you have a very high opinion of him - as you always mention? Just "how lucky he was"? Come on! This is the definition of applying double standards and then you wonder where all the hate comes from?

OneToughBirdie likes this.
  10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I only want to reply about this.

WC 11 final :
    as I said it before, to you as well, LCW was help by the organizer about the schedule.

6 - 7 hours extra rest compare to Kevin Cordon, Chen Jin and Lin Dan.

75 minutes of battle in SF and then rest for only 15 hours against the inform and world #1 LCW surely is not enough.

even with that, LD is the winner.
    can you imagine if they have the opposite situation ? :p

OG 12 final :
    incorrect line judge make the score become 10 -11 to LCW instead of 12 -9 to LD

this is really different situation :p

11. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

unfortunately yes, it's the Olympics gold medal their country men wanted. in fact, Malaysia is still awaiting for their first Olympics gold medal and expect LCW to deliver.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When I say lucky, it doesn't mean he won it by luck, that is fluke. Obviously, it was to close to call and Lin Dan is nowhere near his best,

As for Lin Dan winning those close encounters you mentioned, he did it more than once, several times, so you can't attribute them to pure luck or fluke even if you wanted to. Once , maybe due to luck on his side, twice or more? In fact Lin Dan won many other times by a clear margin to prove he is definitely the better player. Their H2H records prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    @Robert :

last time you say, LCW has more titles than Lin Dan.

I'm not agree.

take away CWG title, SEA Games (if any), and then Satellite tournament who is only for junior / young players...
    I think they have the same number, or LD has 1 or 2 more titles

14. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    then what about the other factor / aspect such as number of titles, H2H, win-lose record, world #1 status, and world records ?

not count ?

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It alone only proves the OG is the most coveted title for all the stakes and lucrative rewards awaiting the winner. Practically for most of them, One Olympic Gold and they are made for life.

To be The GOAT, you must be the best in various important aspects as Fortune pointed out - overall titles won, particularly the majors, H2H superiority over rivals, world ranking to a certain extent, etc.

Who can beat 2xOG, 5xWC, 4xAG, 6xAE, 5xTC, 5xSC, a highly positive H2H against all his rivals ? Name me one who even come close. Why did PG, Xiong GB et al , themselves all great players, call Lin Dan the greatest ?

16. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    With all due respect, could the talk about goat status moved to the other forums? I mean, this is not the first time this topic arises and certainly would not be the last, so better have a place easier to be remembered than this Day-9 (19th August...), so one who care about goat talk could visit it someday and who doesn't could avoid it as well. ;-). Thanks.

Hazeef and jma97 like this.
  17. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    even if ROW fans only want to count major titles alone to decide who is MS GOAT, then :

the only candidate to win is Lin Dan with 2 OG and 5 WC, plus 8 or 9 TC and SC :p

18. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

How will his endorsement be affected? his achievement records stays, 2 Olympics gold, possible 1 bronze and numerous majors titles. he is 32 yrs and people understand he will not win again after winning it in the last two olympics. he is also not tainted by drug allegation unlike LCW banned for several months due to failed doping test. don't get me wrong I am LCW fan also, I hope he will win tonight.

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Ahh, you mean like Lin Dan was helped by turning off the aircon at the WC13 or how BCL got helped by the line judges at the China Open 2007... :D

Come on! You win some and you lose some, regarding the line calls. And it's just not always possible to have a fair schedule for all the participating players.

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I'm not talking about who's the better player now, neither about their H2H record. I'm just stating that it could have gone either way at the WC11 and the Olympics 12. And LD won it. Just like LCW won it yesterday. I'm not saying they won their points by luck, either.

"Because in either game
    life or football
    the margin for error is so small.
    I mean
    one half step too late or to early
    you don't quite make it.
    One half second too slow or too fast
    and you don't quite catch it.
    The inches we need are everywhere around us.
    They are in ever break of the game
    every minute, every second."

Yes, I think LCW was unlucky to not win the Olympics 12 and WC11 and LD was lucky to win it.
    You could say the same from the other perspective: LCW was lucky to win yesterday and LD unlucky to lose.
    They were basically on par in those battles.

nokh88 and OneToughBirdie like this.