2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-8 (18th August) - WD Gold Medal, WD &MD Bronze Medal, WS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 17, 2016.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    this is the worst Olympic Games ever..

[​IMG]

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think a lot of us here know what tearing an ACL means. Sounds like it was a complete rupture? If so, I doubt we'll ever see LXR back playing at her best. She's out for at least a year anyway.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Which one did Wang Xin and Wang Lin go to?

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

As a spectator, in my opinion, she should have waited to celebrate at the end. I understand she must be very ecstatic but if my opponent goes down like that and is just standing there to have the match end, I'm not going to be screaming at the top of my lungs after every point. I'd show compassion to my opponents, give them a hug and then celebrate.

Look at Sayaka Sato vs Tine Baun in 2012. Tine went over and was concerned for Sato who was in tears. Unfortunately the ref sent her back to her side but she went over and hugged Sato after her match. That's a big difference in my eyes.

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

So now no one can argue that WS is in its strongest era (at least in terms of nation variety) yet. I know some non-believers were holding out for the Olympics. Well, it's come and gone. 4 more years! 4 more years! Now you can share the pain of this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...our-more-years-boys-four-more-years-1.2333760

If it's any consolation, the All Blacks came back stronger than ever in subsequent World Cups, winning in 2011 and 2015.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

There is still a bronze medal match isn't there? :oops:Oh right LXR was injured I just saw posted (only saw most of the first set)

As for WD: I had no big favorite in this match but just thought in which country would it have a bigger positive impact on badminton and thought that would probably be in Japan so was leaning towards them (as already a longtime fave wd pair as well of course). But on a personal level JP badminton is already well supported financially so it would have a bigger positive impact on the Danes

And now I'm watching Marin vs LXR ending and clearly she asks if she is alright at the handshake and LXR nods she is (should you let your mindset be changed during the game because the opponent is hurt to unknown extent so close to the 21? She could have also stopped playing :rolleyes:. The Sato match didn't continue till the end ...)

And for the record: I have watched the whole tournament without any commentary at all so completely uninfluenced by any match commentary :D

#966 demolidor, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  7. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I wouldn't say that. Professionals have a loooooot time and support to recover way faster than us. According the operating doctor who did my surgery told me that you would be able to do your sport after 3 / 4 months. Of course you have to put a lot of effort and time in doing all the physiotherapy exercises.

Better ask Justin L ^^ I just know something about ACL like you guys.

LXR never should have finished the match. No idea how she still managed to stand and walk :eek: When it happened to me, I just was like "fkk... no way I'm going to continue the semi-final" :(

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

The earliest you can go back to a sport such as badminton is 4-6 months. Of course, you could go back after a month if all you're doing is sitting in a wheelchair and hitting shuttles! But to go back to professional badminton on a competitive level? At least 6-9 months, and likely a year to be safe.

I'd predict that even with dedicated physiotherapy etc, LXR will only start training again after at least 3-4 months.

9. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Well of course by going back to your sport I meant coming back to the court and start your training again and not being fully able to do your sports in competition like before the accident.

(For myself it took me a year. But that's because I was lazy in the first 2 - 3 months. I surely could have come back after 8 / 9 months by putting effort from beginning on.)

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Well yes, I meant she'd likely be out for a year on the professional circuit. Possibly may never return - HBJ and the tall one (forget her name now) will likely dominate Chinese WS badminton from now. The era of the Wangs is over, and likely LXR too.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I love you Matsutomo/Takahashi!!!!! So great to come back and win, better than LD comeback 2012.

Loh and ants like this.
  12. MAXMARTIN

MAXMARTIN Regular Member

I am not criticizing ZN. I am criticizing the coach team. Most of these problems are foreseeable and avoidable. Again, no one is really that surprised by the WS performance. LXR and WYH have not won any SS title in the past 12 months. You can't expect them suddenly much better than their normal performance level.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well most coaches would be pretty happy with one Bronze and one final from one player. I know the chinese coaches probably arent completely, since they have the highest standards, but what else could they have done? Take Fu/Zhang out, and waste a shot at a medal? Zhang has done well over the last year, and that was one a much tighter SS schedule. They simply lost to a surprisingly strong INA pair, who almost came out of nowhere to win this (their performance over the last year didnt exactly make them anyone's favorite to win the gold).
    Had they been in opposite halves, I have no doubt they would've met in the final, since the other SF was almost a joke compared to that one, as the following results showed.

14. blue.fired

blue.fired Regular Member

I like Marin. I can only stand back and be amazed at how she can keep that screaming and energy up for hours with what seems like no fatigue.

Loh likes this.
  15. MAXMARTIN

MAXMARTIN Regular Member

I also like it. I think it adds a different flavor into the game, but it seems lots of people hold different opinions. LOL

Bohy likes this.
  16. MAXMARTIN

MAXMARTIN Regular Member

Does anyone know where I can watch the replay of the matches with Gill Clark as a commentator?

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    They totally deserve the win.

virusvoodoo, kwun and other like this.
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Because everyone has been waiting for an arrogant, badly behaved player. Oh...we haven't :D
    Seriously though, just the sound is so obnoxious it would make me avoid her matches like the plague, even if I didn't have issues with her behaviour or personality.

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Shin Seungchan and ZYL are nothing to be sneezed at either when it comes to that department (nor is Sinduh) :D

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, ZYL is pretty obnoxious as well. Although her voice is not as greating as CM's, and she doesn't do the stroll with the upturned nose either :D