2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-8 (18th August) - WD Gold Medal, WD &MD Bronze Medal, WS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 17, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Venue
    : Riocentro Pavilion 4, Rio de Janeiro-BRA

Schedule : 11-20 August 2016

Rio Olympic Website : https://www.rio2016.com/en/badminton

BWF Olympic Website : http://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/

Full Draw link
    : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-draw-in-full.165718/

BWF Live Score : http://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/live/

Tournamentsoftware link : http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=3400A457-E0A4-4C87-89CA-C9A6CF1B2C0D

Live Streaming & Live TV Broadcast information : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ing-and-tv-broadcast-for-rio-olympics.165856/

Rio de Janeiro time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=1307&forma=Find Time

DAY-8 ORDER OF PLAY => (08.30am local time, 1 court) => https://www.rio2016.com/en/badminton-schedule-and-results/day-18

*Women's Doubles Bronze Medal match
    - Jung Kyung Eun/Shin Seung Chan (KOR) v Tang Yuanting/Yu Yang (CHN)
    H-2-H stats : 0-1 / WR : 5 v 2
    The only hopeful for Korean badminton squad to bag Rio medal as all of their players failed to enter last four. 30 years old Yu Yang who nailed gold medal, partnered with Du Jing in Beijing 2008 then unexpected outing (with Wang Xiaoli) in London 2012 will eye bronze (with Tang Yuanting) as her badminton career last hurrah.

*Women's Singles Quarterfinals
    - Carolina Marin (ESP) v Li Xuerui (CHN)
    H-2-H : 2-3 / WR : 1 v 3
    The clash of two high reputation players, two-time World Champion against the reigning Olympic Champion, both of these ladies look in fine form to outclass all rivals convincingly en route to semifinal. Spanish sensation Marin won over the Chinese former world number one Li in their last two encounters. A surely most anticipated showdown in this category.

- Nozomi Okuhara (JPN) v Pusarla Venkatta Sindhu (IND)
    H-2-H : 3-1 / WR : 6 v 10
    The young Indian have two stunning results so far in Rio, ousted more fancied opponent TPE talented Tai Tzu Ying and London 2012 silver medalist Wang Yihan at last sixteen and last eight respectively. Facing Japanese starlet Okuhara who has solid defense and court coverage, she needs more patience and apply different strategy to book final ticket. Recent All England winner was forced to play rubber games against her younger compatriot Akane Yamaguchi two days ago.

*Men's Doubles Bronze Medal Match
    - Chai Biao/Hong Wei (CHN) v Marcus Ellis/Chris Langridge (GBR)
    H-2-H : 0-0 / WR : 5 v 22
    Chai/Hong are favoured to deliver another bronze for China, it's fantastic journey for Great Britain Ellis/Langridge to step into this stage and would be huge surprise if they could pocket a badminton medal after Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms won silver in Athens 2004.

*Women's Doubles Gold Medal Match (11.50am local time)
    - Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN) v Christinna Pedersen/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl (DEN)
    H-2-H : 7-4 / WR : 1 v 6
    A new history will be made today for Japan badminton as their aces Matsutomo/Takahashi have bright prospect to present first badminton gold in Olympic arena. It's tough task for the Danish duo Pedersen/Juhl to break Japanese consistency who's growing better and better, started from the beginning of 2016.

First gold medal match have been contested, Indonesian mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir finally delivered perfect birthday present for 71st INA Independence Day Anniversary yesterday. They outmaneuvered Malaysian underdogs, Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying superbly, 21-14 / 21-12. A flawless performance along Rio Games by Ahmad/Natsir, they rise at the right time.

Men's singles quarterfinals witnessed two marathon matches that involving Chinese players. Lin Dan had hard times to tame Indian star Srikanth Kidambi despite took first game easily, 21-6. Then Srikanth produced magnificent attacking game to push two-time Olympic Champion into the limit, the vast experienced Lin turned the winning momentum after trailed behind 8-11 in deciding game. Another China top gun, Chen Long also got stiff resistance from Son Wan Ho, the Korean did his best to steal second game 21-18 but couldn't topple the much better Chen in third game, 21-11 for two-time World Champion. The remaining two last eight tie, it's straightforward clash, Lee Chong Wei outplayed Chou Tien Chen, 21-9 / 21-15 while Viktor Axelsen powered past Rajiv Ouseph, 21-12 / 21-16.

2. Mate

Mate Regular Member

I am rooting for China this time. Jiao You China!!!! Sweep all Bronze Medal and Create a new history. Li Yong Bo, you are a legend. But for WS, I am rooting for Marin. Because if Li Xuerui win, China will lose the opportunity to sweep all Bronze Medal.

udin_udik and indrg like this.
  3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

More bronze medals won't overtake GBR or even US in the medal count.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Congratulations. You must be happy. INA with 1 gold in the bag, better than MAS currently with 2 silvers assured.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Nozomi vs PV will be interesting.
    A runner vs more of power game. I like Nozomi, but PV has a hungry look in her eye.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    A lot of pressure will be on the Korean WD pair to at least nail the bronze as all other compatriots have fallen flat. Korea will be out of the medals for the first time ever since badminton was introduced, should they lose. Pressure will be on China as well as not being in the medals would show just how far China had gone behind in this discipline since the Golds of 1996 - 2012.

Li Xuerui shall face the litmus test today. If she is able to silence the banshee, I expect her to be almost invincible for the final. On the other side, I expect the hard running Okuhara to wear out PV Sindhu.

Interesting to see that the Danish Aunties have won 4 times out of 11 meetings against Japanese top seeds. That should give them some confidence ahead of the final today. The pressure will be on Matsutomo/Takahashi to go one better than Mizuki Fujii/Reika Kakiiwa 4 years ago.

AlanY and nokh88 like this.
  7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I root for the JPN WD in the final. I like their style of play and they have been very diligent all year ; they deserve the cherry on top of the cake.
    It is very nice to see Sindhu going so far, but I doubt she can beat Nozomi. If the Japanese lady starts to play like she did last year, and I believe that is what she will do, she is in for the gold.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Prediction:

WD Bronze: Jung/Shin: the way YY/TYT was playing, I don't think they will get that far.

WS:

Li Xuerui beat Marin: So to spare our eardrums for the final
    Nozomi Okuhara beat Sindhu: Because... Nozomi Express. enough said!

MD Bronze: The way Ellis/Landridge played, I think Chai/Hong will make easy work of them.

WD Gold: Misaki/Ayaka: The Japanese girls just deserve it, they have beat everyone pretty consistently for the past year.

PoLLuX, nilesh123, AlanY and 3 others like this.
  9. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    WD Bronze: Jung/Shin, they know how to wear out the Yu Yang/Tang Yuanting I guess.

WS:
    Carolina Marin to beat Li Xuerui. She's due to something good this year, I expect a bloody thriller match. ;)
    Nozomi Okuhara beat Sindhu, I just can't see Sindhu's attack sufficient enough to break Okuhara's defense.

MD Bronze: Chai/Hong to fulfill Clean Sweep Bronze medal mission.

WD Gold: Misaki/Ayaka, unless they have cold feet like they did at Asian Games Gold Match, I don't think Juhl/Pedersen would be able to outlast them.

10. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Hope Jung Shin can win, at least a bronze medal for korea badminton.

11. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Oh, wait, I forgot that YY/TYT must win to fulfill Clean Sweep. T_T

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

I don't think CHINA would get clean sweep bronze medals as they still got MS & WS, for MS might slightly 50-50 chance to have all-CHN final...

13. azorjon

azorjon Regular Member

Please explain to a newb here where this "China's going to sweep clean the bronze medals" meme comes from?

Sent from my Andromax C46B2G using Tapatalk

14. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Since they made a clean sweep of Gold in the last Olympics, China must have been hoping for a clean sweep this year too. They might still achieve it, but it'll have to be a clean sweep of bronze.

azorjon likes this.
  15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu has a Monumental task to dismantle Nozomi Okuhara.
    The last time Sindhu beat her was in 2012. Sindhu's strength lies in long rallies followed by killer smashes. Okuhara thrives in long rallies and court coverage.
    Sindhu has confidence, self belief and big match temperament. Will that be enough to give her a fairytale final?
    Despite the odds I believe she can do it and become the first Indian Badminton player in an Olympic Final. :)

I like to see
    Li Xuerui beat Carolina Marin as well.

WD Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi deserve gold.

Some exciting badminton action coming up at an Asia friendly time! :)

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

How many Bronze medal other countries have bagged in Badminton? Is it too easy ?

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Some Bandwagon hoppers who have recently came out of their cave most probably after GLY/CPS beat Xu Chen/Ma Jin in the semis and later Zhang and Zhao failed to win against the deserving Gold Medalist.

volcom likes this.
  18. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I assume it's a typo that Nozomi's playing on court 2, with everybody else playing court 1?

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

interesting point is all 4 MS semi-finalists can speak Chinese!

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You obviously say one thing but mean another, an innuendo. Why not come out clean and say it like it is?:);):rolleyes: