2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-10 (20th August) - MS Bronze and Gold Medal Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Carolina, you might be world and Olympic champion but do you really have to act so low?

virusvoodoo and other like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Maybe Marin was referring to their previous encounter when LXR just came back from her leg injury, still not match fit yet.

Luckily, my trust in Cai Yun's maturity and judgment and the reporter's decision to report it and risk having to apologize publicly if it turns out to be untrue, is not misplaced. Actually, to be fair, I'm more or less a messenger, if the whole matter turns out to be a sick prank, I'm just as much a victim as anyone else, though I did weigh in my views on it subsequently after Alan Y posted the source audio clip which sounded genuine to me (just awaiting the translation).

Up until this incident, I was still willing to give Marin some leeway and benefit of the doubt despite telling myself all her unsporting behaviour were spontaneous and revealed her true character. In fact, if I'm not wrong, on more than one occasion I read somewhere that she said her on-court antics, screaming, fist-pumping and body language were calculated to intimidate her opponents.

But now, I'm put off by her. My greatest wish is for someone or other in CHN or elsewhere to arise and start beating Marin consistently to deny her anymore major or prestigious titles.

kelana likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

We always knew that she was constantly pushing the boundaries of sportsmanship on court, and now off court.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That's correct. If I recall it correctly she was asked in an interview at the German Open, why she always screams so loud, after each rally. And she said it's because she wants to let her opponent know that she's here to beat her.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, he s from Singapore. I m not sure he s Singaporean.

But he s obviously Chinese. Many older overseas Chinese regards China as their Motherland. So to them, regardless of reality, China is always the greatest, the most honorable, beyond reproach, you name it..

Well, it looks like Singapore is too small for him or he s not proud of Singapore so he elevates himself to citizen of the world. Which world is that, I often wonder and, sometimes shudder?

6. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

We don't need to worry about that here.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, even if Marin apologised to Li Xuerui later after learning that she conceded the bronze medal match and had her injury confirmed which needed surgery,I'm afraid all her accumulated incidents minor or major, has made it hard for me to change my view of her.

For this latest incident, any Olympian would have the courtesy and sportsmanship to refrain from making such a reckless and unacceptable remark, like beating someone who is down. I mean, if LXR really faked it and was caught out, then it's understandable for Marin to react thus, otherwise, no, totally uncalled-for and reflects very badly on her.

No wonder, immediately upon winning the match, Marin didn't show any concern for LXR's injury nor bother to go over to LXR's side to check it out when she first fell and needed medical attention. All she cared about was winning and even thought the worst of her opponent during and after the match.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Quite funny to see Marin being upset because players use techniques to make her lose concentration! She is the queen of it.

Nevertheless, she is a joy to watch (not so to hear). I believe her opponents will be more and more motivated to beat her. In the long run, her attitudes might be counterproductive, unless she, like LD, install the believe in opponents that nothing can resist her.

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Very true, I wonder why there are so few female members in this forum.

10. SolsticeOfLight

Are we forgetting she's paid to win, not to be a nurse?
    She might not be lovable, but that doesn't mean we need to paint everything in a bad light.
    I think it's perfectly understandable to give your opponent space when they're injured. In fact, I think Lin Dan's more of a bully when he went to comfort Lee ChongWei; it reeks of 'trying to look good' whilst LCW obviously had no interest in receiving Lin Dan's love just then.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

That's true, I also think Marin's court behaviour are not commendable but they are acceptable most of the time. But on certain occasions she deserves an answer from other players, like in the interview just mentioned here. Such an agressive behaviour is a challenge for others to retaliate.
    That is why I think it is not so wise.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You've no respect for the privacy of others.

I 'm not admitting nor denying anything.

Clearly, you don't understand the meaning of citizen of the world, it has nothing to do with nationality or any country big or small, but everything to do with common humanity, world community. Blind loyalty is also another danger to avoid.

Enough, I shan't deign to talk to you. I pity you, you don't seem to know what you're doing to yourself.

Philosophy originated from the Greek word, philosophia, literally meaning "love of wisdom". I suggest you start by knowing thyself.

#992 Justin L, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're being cynical. Suit yourself, if that's what you are. I'm sure there are some people you meet in life or some scenes you witness which move you deeply.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You mean it's not human nature to show concern for someone who's injured? Only nurses do it ?

The principles of Olympism and the Olympic spirit are just a formality, it seems.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just remember, before you are anything, you are first and foremost a human being.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why the heck did the US soccer federation ban Hope Solo for ?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Birds of a feather flock together.

18. SolsticeOfLight

I think the only retaliation that will register with her is losing.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, she's definitely crossed the line on this one.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Many people will consider her a "insert relevant swear word(s)", but there's no denying that she's the best WS badminton player right now, which will frustrate many people. But then I remember we live in a world that allows the killing of innocent unborn human beings, and then I don't think so much of Carolina Marin's antics, only her great badminton talent. Just like perhaps we should focus on born human beings, like most laws seem to promote. For me, it's best to focus on the good things in life hehe.