2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-10 (20th August) - MS Bronze and Gold Medal Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, all cool and nice, but remember how the GOAT behaved when he was not the GOAT yet. Always easy to be Mr sportsman when you've won everything. Marin is young, she's still hungry.

Bohy, virusvoodoo and Cheung like this.
  2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, no point going through mandarin. My friend, which is incidentally my wife, is coming back tonight from a business trip. I'll ask her as soon as we have a moment.

My point about the mandarin translation that you posted Justin is that until now we don't know if this whole affair is true or only defamation. The snapshot could be true but it could be anything made up. We did not see anything about this in english-speaking medias, I find this bizarre.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fair enough. But I won't compare Marin to Lin Dan, she's not fit. At most, she is the McEnroe of badminton, for the time being.:):)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I remember my early days of using translators from English to Cantonese. Surprisingly, with people who have learnt English in HK as a second language, there were a lot of differences from my intended meaning to their translation.

So, I take any Chinese translation with caution as there is a lot of scope for misinterpretation. I don't have any doubts over Justin's Chinese to English translation. But if the original material that Justin worked with had misinformation, then the misinformation merely gets perpetuated.

I eagerly await renbo's update.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nice. You know, some person's memory of Lin Dan stopped about 10 years ago but they are most willing and happy to overlook ,nay, even speak apologetically for, all of Marin's indiscretions or unsportsmanlike behaviour or even violation of the Olympic spirit.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Marin has her own qualities. Rude and annoying sometimes, but the game is better with her then without I believe.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

First, the Spanish audio clip purportedly contained Marin's voice, it'd be a long shot to claim somebody could've have fabricated it. http://www.cope.es/player/carolina-...e-su-estrategia&id=2016081815300001&activo=10

Second, it's more discussed in the Chinese media because it involved Li Xuerui , a Chinese athlete.

Third, isn't ours an English-speaking forum? How many such badminton fora are there in English ? As the original audio clip is in Spanish, it's not surprising for the English media to take a while to get wind of it.

Yes, it's best to have a good Spanish to English translation, rather than from Spanish to Mandarin to English as more may be lost in translations. However, for such a short, simple conversation, there's not much room for error unless the translator/interpreter botched it or intentionally mistranslated it.

And I'm not referring to online free translation software/program.

#967 Justin L, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I am not talking about the Spanish interview, I am talking about the mandarin text you posted.
    The Chinese media did not talk about it too, only a blog, as far as I know (but I do not cover the Chinese media, I only suppose that if such a news was true, it would appear in the sport newspaper).

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

"道之道,非常道" - need I say more?
    and with translations throw into the mix, god help us!

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...eeper-given-six-month-ban-for-calling-sweden/

At the Rio Olympics, the US female goalkeeper, Hope Solo, called the Swedes " a bunch of cowards" after losing the penalty shootout 3-4 to them in the quarterfinals. For this she was slapped a six-month ban by the US soccer federation.

US Soccer president Sunil Gulati said the remarks by Solo, who was previously handed a 30-day suspension by the national federation in January 2015 for a "poor decision" during a training camp, were "unacceptable".

"The comments by Hope Solo after the match against Sweden during the2016 Olympics were unacceptable and do not meet the standard of conduct we require from our national-team players," he said.

"Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honour those principles, with no exceptions."

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I'm not the one you're talking about, I hope. I'm well aware of Lin Dan's behavioral development.

But why do you say Marin is not fit? I think she's very fit; if you want to play the game she does, you have to be. It's based on speed and stamina, brute-force if you will. Also she has won the Olympics, you know? What kind of statement is that, saying an Olympic Gold medalist in WS is not fit?

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, I don't have you in mind.

So far, nobody in WS is fit to be compared to Lin Dan yet. Obviously, I'm not referring to her fitness level, fit as in appropriate, suitable, worthy. Or else, there'll be those who argue for Li Lingwei, Zhang Ning, Susi Susanti, or you named it, to be deserving, perhaps more so, of that comparison.

Even in MS, Chen Long has garnered 2 WC and 1 OG (all by beating LCW, one of the greatest), plus other titles, has anybody thought of comparing him to Lin Dan ? I myself won't and haven't heard any yet.

14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    You've seen GOAT did these before he was not GOAT? :p

Constant time wasting, going to back of court talking to coach and leave your opponent waiting not even handling back the shuttle during points?

Approaching umpire with hands on their crotch for bad calls that was obviously wrong and resulting opponent getting a false yellow card?

Excessive yelling?

15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Nobody yells like Marin, that's for sure

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But in general, men have better behaviour on court then women, though it is not politically correct to say so.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nope, it's not as easy as you'd have thought. For anyone who have achieved even half of what Lin Dan did, most people would have gotten carried away, thinks it's their right to act and talk big, become swell-headed, just imagine what he'll be showered with if he were a MAS player (LCW will be pushed aside). Instead we see Lin Dan who in his younger days was an irrepressible, sometimes rash and impetuous, character turned as his achievements grow greater into , post-LOG'12, a steady, staid, gentlemanly, diplomatic, tactful,still outspoken personality,a maverick, true to himself.

True, it's easy to be humble when you're not great, still humble when you've achieved or beginning to achieve some greatness , but not easy when you've reached where no man have gone before in badminton history. That, to me, is humility born of true greatness.

Oops, sorry, I meant to reply to Rob3rt.

badlove likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Be careful, that's a sexist remark, the womenfolk will soon be up in arms. (I shudder to think about it).:):D

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Well well well, Marin is indeed quite the pitbull. He is my wife's translation of the delicate passage (not word-to word but almost) :

"(Journalist) - Your opponent is very fairplay, she finished the match although she was injured.
    (Marin) - For me I think it was a strategy, actually I think she was not in the game anymore, maybe she was trying to make me lose my concentration, she did it to me once in the championship's final."

I don't know what final she is talking about, perhaps the WC.
    Anyway, quite the disgrace! But as Cai Yun said, if it was said in the heat of the match, it can be toned down, but she should makes amend the day after knowing that LXR was really injured.

other, visor, Justin L and 2 others like this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Really appreciate it, please convey our thanks to your wife for the translation.

Cheung likes this.