2016 Celcom Axiata MALAYSIA Open SS Premier : SEMIFINALS (9th April)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open/ Singapore Open/ China Masters 2016' started by CLELY, Apr 8, 2016.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Please once again I am begging everyone. I am begging so desperately now. I am a great fan of Lin Dan too I must admit. But then for the sake of maintaining peace in this forum can all of us please stop talking about the lose of Lin Dan in the quarterfinals and no more comments about it please.

And so sorry for playing the bad guy role here. But It is getting serious now. Bickering and arguing over Lin Dan lost in the quarterfinals will stir up unnecessary arguments and lead to endless fighting. Why not all of us just look forward to tomorrow finals? I am sure there will be lots of exciting matches for us to watch tomorrow. Thank you.

2. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Yea Sony back then was a beast...
    Beating lcw first rd at the 2007 world champs in Kuala Lumpur and getting into the finals. He also won back to back tourneys in 2008...

Forgot back then there were other excellent players like Bao Chun Lai, Simon Santoso etc... and players like Tago/Boonsak were in their prime too unlike nowadays.

Firas, tbgoh288 and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I could not watch the matches today. Normally I read the comments here on BC to know how were the matches, so I can select which one to see in replays, but tonight comments were so tedious, apart for swearing I could not see any description of the matches!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are some. but mostly just people's reaction.

let's try to be more descriptive tonight.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    btw, one member was banned due to throwing out a really bad insult. we will not tolerate such behavior

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Funny, seems you're ignoring the fact Lin Dan just got destroyed by JOJ. And LCW has never dominated the majors. He hasn't even won a single title, not in the old era, not in the current era.

7. Firas

Firas Regular Member

Funny, seems you're ignoring the fact that old man Lin Dan just won the German and All England Open last month. The fact that even LCW couldn't dominate the majors 10 years ago just proved my point actually.

And you really believe that JOJ has improved so much over Lin Dan today that he has the ability to destroy Lin Dan at will? Come on, please be honest here. He may have the game to beat Lin Dan but to say destroy is just hate or prejudice. I think people are mostly pissed that Lin Dan threw the match and were denied good entertainment. All the panda haters would definitely jump on that ticket and have a field day at that.

There will be panda huggers and panda haters and I dig that. But we ought to sieve out the delusional ones I reckon.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

It's just much more competitive these days. JOJ has improved enough to beat Lin Dan more often than not in the last 3-4 years (that is, the current era) - the H2H of their last 7 meetings is 4-3 in his favour. And the point is that LCW being the "second" best player of the old era hones the point that it was a weak era - the "second" best player didn't win a single major.

But yes, one can argue it the other way around. The ultimate point is that you can't say someone is clearly the GOAT etc. And that's why having good sportsmanship and respecting the game etc is the most important. Lin Dan is normally pretty good, but that was rather shameful the other night - I guess Malaysia Open brings out the worst in him - he's never won it, despite coming so close, and it will continue to haunt him in the back of his mind I guess.

jma97 and kwun like this.
  9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Also do remember "destroyer" LCW lost in straight sets in the All England 2016 first round to an unseeded Indian player just a few weeks ago. Again, just really competitive these days.

jma97 likes this.
  10. Firas

Firas Regular Member

You are somewhat retracting or changing course in your earlier statement to say that it is just more competitive now. You echoed my earlier post on 10 March 2016 below. It is also revealing that you would cite an unseeded Indian player's victory over LCW instead of Wei Nan's. Are you an Indian? I think it is quite relevant for your case.

"I would say badminton has become more diverse in nationality.

Stronger? Definitely as in all sports, needless to say, as it must evolve with advance technologies, equipment and training methods.

However, by the same reasoning, it does seem to contradict the theory when pre-2012 greats such as Lin Dan & Lee Chong Wei, who have aged considerably and thus "past their prime" understandably, could still win major tournaments today. What gives?

So maybe the "stronger era" statement needs a rethink - more "competitive era" instead as a case where the old guards are slowing down and the ROW is catching up faster?

But a more peculiar phenomenon is that badminton has gained unprecedented popularity in many nations particularly in India. Many Indian fans have come out of the woodwork with a renewed sense of pride, confidence and hope.

They see themselves and their future in many of these players and hence their unyielding support and distaste for anyone who stands in the way - particularly China. I can't figure out why yet?

This is most interesting as they have made the sport more nationalistic than ever that's for sure."

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Stronger, more competitive - all the same to me. And again, not sure why you keep lumping LCW with "major tournaments". He is yet to win a single one. Unless your definition of a "major" is different to mine.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It s not about JOJ having improved so much over LD. Taking out an opponent has a lot to do with doing opponent homework. It goes like this:

LD and CL only do homework on LCW. LCW used to be taught he has to play his A game to win. Unfortunately his predictable A game is what LD and CL trained for so LCW is easy for them. Luckily Frost is indirectly guiding him through Hendrawan, to be a chameleon tactically so LD and CL cannot see what s coming next. That cuts out their anticipative speed and keeps them guessing. Now guessing burns up a lot of mental energy while the physical energy turns stale. And LCW actually do video homework now! He used to be so arrogant; he would say ' no need lah' when the BAM executive asked if he would like opponent video homework. So you see, LCW s recent wins over CL and LD, it s more the speed gap. LD and CL looking slow and LCW faster than ever.

JOJ and VA both target LD and CL in their training. They have a good chance of upsetting because they are not in LD and CL s syllabus of study. They don t target LCW because it's difficult for them to handle LCW s speed for the whole match. Anyway, they just have to hope for the best that CL and LD will take effective care of LCW.

VA is the MS that holds the greatest promise. He s still young with lots of room for progress. Unfortunately for him, KM targets him. KM s coach looked at the draw and figured out VA will take care of the rest so all KM has to do is focus train for VA. So when VA play his usual game, KM will ace it. VA just must remember to play a different game for KM, like not allow KM to play his favorite shots. VA just have to develop the skills for that purpose.

Hazeef likes this.
  13. Firas

Firas Regular Member

LCW is one of the greats in my opinion - I'm not sure why you keep talking about lumping LCW with "major tournaments" etc. Are you an Indian by the way? It is relevant for your case.

14. Firas

Firas Regular Member

Yes, I agree with this analysis and therefore it's smart to strategise and pick your battles wisely. No point winning the battles but losing the war.

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Let's just say I'm as "Indian" as Nine Tailed Fox appears to be hehe.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are you confident LCW will win against CL today ?

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Let's go to the finals thread mate. Not convenient to be checking two threads hehe.

18. Firas

Firas Regular Member

Don't be a mouse and hide behind the Fox's tail hehe

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

ofcourse, I am just waiting for pjswift's reply.

20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Your analysis lacks depth and facts.

I accept that LCW has speed but speed alone didn't get him recent victories over Lindan and ChenLong. He has more variations in his shots than before. Do you think Lindan didn't have speed ?

Regarding VA and KM - VA will be a great prospect for future of badminton. Not like he took care of everybody and KM went on to win the titles beating VA. There are many of them who defeated top players but they could not repeat the same performances in the next rounds but VA has consistency.
    VA could not defeat LCW but defeated ChenLong and Lindan. No need to worry. KM's career is in danger just for now.