2015 Yonex Suffolk CCC US Open GP Gold : Qualification - FINAL (16th-21st June 2015)

Discussion in 'Yonex US Open / Yonex Canada Open 2015' started by CLELY, Jun 15, 2015.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Lee CW marches on last eight, 21-17 / 22-20. A good effort by Chinese youngster Guo Kai to save four match points before the former world #1 ended with flick serve at last point.

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

thanks to the line judges error make Guo Kai gain some points while LCW was pissed with this...

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Two highlight defeats of R/16 should be MD second seed Hashimoto/Hirata and local hope also defending champion Zhang Beiwen (3rd seed), eliminated by Attri/Reddy and Sayaka Sato respectively.

QUARTERFINALS (05.00pm local time, 3 courts) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...235FEF-DA5B-462F-B40B-7F61082DA3E9&d=20150619

Close duel is expected between top seed Chou TC v Ueda and Angus Ng KL v Praneeth for semifinal berth. Another Japanese player, young talent Nishimoto will take on Danish #3 Vittinghus and heavy favourite Lee CW against Englishman Ouseph.

WS quarterfinal round will feature fives Japanese WS and three other representatives, Cheung NY, Shen YY, Gilmour. Four interesting ties as all of them never met before, Okuhara v Mitani, Takahashi v Cheung NY and two ties from bottom half of draw, Shen YY v Sato also Gilmour v Yamaguchi.

Japan MD dominates quarterfinal with three pairs, two of them will meet former world junior champ and reigning WJC, Kazuno/Yamada v Li JH/Liu YC and Hoki/Kobayashi v Dechapol/Kittinupong. Title contender Kamura/Sonoda will oppose TPE qualifier Lee/Lee and Indian combo Attri/Reddy gets England pair Ellis/Langridge.

MD script resemblance, three JPN WD also enter last eight with 1 semifinal berth has been guaranteed. Two intriguing clashes to follow, one of European finest pair Muskens/Piek will test China new sctrach pair Yu Y/Zhong QX also Indian Gutta/Ponnappa contra Germany Goliszewski/Nelte.

A relatively healthy QF draw for XD discipline with two GER combos and 1 pair each from Canada, Aussie, The Netherlands plus Asian representatives, CHN, HKG and TPE. The top three are predicted to pass this stage also Chinese rookies Huang KX/Huang DP.

4. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Cheung had the chance to serve to the net after that. Is fair play so uncommon at that level?

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I have never seen a player giving back a point after a bad call. But I see them making a gesture meaning sorry for that. I think the logic is that bad calls happens for both sides, and sometimes the opponent is not in a position to judge if the shuttle was in or out so the best is let the linesman speak, no self-justice. It could lead to endless quarrels.

6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    I have seen pro players serving under the net five times in turn before they reached some agreement.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I've seen pro players serve into the net a lot at the Olympics '12 :D

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Hahaha! they've been punished for it!

9. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    Hoyer-Larsen served to the net at the German-Open 1997 vs. Peter Gade after a wrong decision made by the official. He is the one and only player I've ever seen being that fair and doing that.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Well, very nice of him. But I think on the whole it is better not encourage this practice, as it could lead to messy things.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    That's insane, I cannot believe the BWF president didn´t always give his best effort trying to win when he was playing ;) why didn't he get a black card (like some players in London OG):confused:;) Will he be fired from BWF now when this has been revealed:confused:;):D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Back in 1997, there was no black card rule. It hadn't been invented ;)

13. ytam1

ytam1 Regular Member

Student
    Just watched the replay. This is beyond ridiculous!

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I agree it's completely the wrong call. However, it's really just one point at the end of the day. Lots of wrong calls are made all the time. I do agree that this call was rather obviously wrong though hehe.

15. nemrod

nemrod Regular Member

I like to think of it as two points, you don't get one point you should have had (that's one point) and the opponent gets one point they shouldn't have had (that's another). You need to take two points to get to the same state you should have been in in the first place.

The umpire really should've paid enough attention to see how ludicrously out that was, but eh. In hindsight it feels particularly bad because Li lost the game 22-20 if I recall correctly, so if she had gotten that point (and all other things being equal, which of course they wouldn't be) she very well might've won the game.

But meh, it happens. Must be frustrating for her and her fans though. :p

16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

as we thought, LCW easily sail to SF by beating the Englishman Ouseph in straight games...

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    New venue, inexperienced line judges who take their eye off play. Some umpires will be inexperienced as well. It's not an excuse.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Let's see what does the Indian prodigy has in his bag to offer.Chou vs Vittinghus must be entertaining to watch too

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

If the line judge did not see, then he should cover his eyes to signal he did not see, then they play a let.

20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India getting 2 Doubles Pairs in Semis is a surprise! :D
    MD Manu/Sumeeth Beat England's Marcus/Chris 22-20, 21-13
    WD Jwala/Ashwini Beat Germany's Johanna/Carla 21-17, 21-14
    Both Doubles Pairs face stronger Japanese pairs. Can they spring another surprise?

Singles players in semis is expected. ;)
    MS Praneeth Beat Ka Angus 21-8, 21-14.
    Praneeth has a show down with Chong Wei. Praneeth has had problems with mental blocks and lost his place to Srikanth in upper level tournaments. Can he rise to the occasion?
    ;)