2015 VIVO SUDIRMAN Cup DRAW

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2015' started by CLELY, Mar 15, 2015.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Agree, but I doubt about about MD clely the way HS/MA are playing they are off track. Its a great concern...
    BoMo seems to be in form...
    WS are you sure LF is capable to fight LK,
    LF hasn't played a good match for a while. AF or Bella are better players under presence and the veterans stand a better chance..
    XD Towi/lily are surely not the same pair anymore. They lost some matches which were never expected! And looking at the flare of CP/JNF is pretty ignited..
    Hope INA does well

2. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Sorry really sorry. I mean no offense here. Just my personal view. I think the chances for Korea to top the group is high.

Then Malaysia team may still have a chance too since Malaysia will hold the edge against India players in terms of men doubles, women doubles and mixed doubles. (I mean Malaysia can get 3 points from their doubles department).

Okay in this case Korea may get 3 points vs India all from their 3 doubles department.
    Then Korea may also get 4 points from Malaysia from the singles and doubles department.

I didn't say that India have no chance to advance. It is just my predictions only so relaxed. :)

India may have a chance to proceed but first and foremost they need to improve in their doubles department. I mean men doubles, mixed doubles and women doubles.

Be happy. No offense here. :D Lets put it this way the best 2 teams will advance to the quarterfinals.

3. modisio

modisio Regular Member

I don't know.

BWF's news release: "The player is under USA’s jurisdiction (GCR 9) but cannot represent that country as per the requirements of GCR 8 International Representation."

This points to sections 8 and 9 of http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=608510&dl=1.

4. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay sorry no offense here. Just share what I know about what is written in clause 8.2 from the article.

A player shall be qualified to represent a Member Association providing the player is in good
    standing with that Member Association and satisfies Regulations 8.2.1 and either 8.2.2 or 8.2.3:
    8.2.1 holds a passport of a country whose territory the Member Association has jurisdiction
    over;
    8.2.2 has not represented any other Member Association for three years immediately
    preceding the date of the tournament;
    8.2.3 last represented that Member Association;

In this case, Zhang Beiwen is orginally born in China. She went to Singapore to further her studies in Singapore sports school during her secondary school time. After that she changed her citizenship to Singapore citizenship and actively represented Singapore for badminton tournaments. After that she migrated to USA and changed her citizenship to America citizenship and actively represented America for badminton tournaments. I think this could be the main reason. She represented Singapore before she represented America in badminton tournaments.

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Chill there's no need to be sorry..
    And I neither taken it seriously nor intended to be little you!!
    I pit my point forward like you did.. It doesn't require any further discussions...
    Well one last time :D ;) :p LCW isn't playing
    So chill.. Kor will get 5-0 victory (against Mal)
    And 3-2 / 4-1 victory against India (it depends on the match line up)
    Hence the they'll top the group.. Congratulations! :p
    And, Ind will def Mal 3-2 (again depends on match lineup) so Ind will qualify as 2nd team but nothing to boast about as I now the results of KO s :p

6. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

According to Beiwen, she's not a US citizen, and that was the reason!

7. Ani34791

Ani34791 Regular Member

Student
    Just wanna add something. India's top MD is 27 mas is 44 WD is 16 to 18, neck and neck.How are they fav especially on MD with a weakened XD?

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

My friend once told me this facts before. My friend told me that we should not be looking too much into the ranking of the players especially for the men doubles, women doubles and mixed doubles players. This is because there are some countries who constantly changed the partners of their doubles. Thus the ranking is sure to be low. My friend quoted that countries like China, Indonesia, Korea and Malaysia constantly changed the partners for their doubles. Thus with the constant change of partners the players ranking will be low.

Imagine Yoo Yeon Seong / Lee Yong Dae ranking is world no 1, but Yoo Yeon Seong / Shin Baek Cheol ranking is 161. So it doesn't mean here that Yoo Yeon Seong is not a good player. Well, if people just happen to look at his ranking is 161, they may say Yoo Yeon Seong is a poor player. That is why it is very subjective to look at the players ranking when it comes to the doubles event. However, it is indeed sad to note that people still look at the player rankings when it comes to men doubles, women doubles and mixed doubles events too which is inaccurate.

So the best thing is to look at the players performance instead or the ranking.

9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Just my opinion and no offense here. My friend gave me some examples so I will quote it here. In Indonesia, Berry Anggriawan / Ricky Karanda Suwardi world ranking is no 12 last year 2014. By December 2014, Indonesia did lots of reshuffling to their doubles department and their doubles played with different new partners. Ricky Karanda SUWARDI now plays with Angga PRATAMA and both their ranking this week is world no 53. So both of them are considered as poor player based on their ranking? That is inaccurate.

My friend gave me another example. Last time Tan Wee Kiong / Hoon Thein How ranking is as high as world ranking no 5. After the Thomas Cup 2014, in June Malaysia did lots of reshuffling to their men doubles, women doubles and mixed doubles department whereby all the doubles players are paired up with different partners and they are tried out with different partners. My friend said the most notable example is Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong example. Both Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong only played together constantly as a pair after the Commonwealth Games 2014 in August. They started this new partnership with world ranking 0. Then by this week their world ranking is no 44. Imagine playing only together for 7 months consistently and their ranking is already world no 44. That is a tremendous improvement compared to players who have played together for so long but produced no results at all.

Another good example is DELOS SANTOS Aries / Alvin MORADA from Philippines. I just used them as examples here. The more tournaments you play together with your partner, the more points you will gain and thus your world ranking will be higher. However after playing together for so many years together, this week their world ranking is 188. Means there is hardly any progress for them. Both of them played together as partners and till now they have not changed and played together as the same partners in every tournaments.

This is what I am trying to say. Do not look at the world ranking for the men doubles, women doubles and mixed doubles. Instead look at their performance in court during tournaments.

My friend said last time Chan Peng Soon / Goh Liu Ying world ranking is no 3. However after Goh Liu Ying went for knee surgery and both of them stopped playing together for one year plus. In year 2014 their world ranking is as low as no 270. They started playing together only this year in 2 tournaments Swiss Open 2015 and Polish Open 2015. They even won the gold medals in Polish Open 2015. This week their world ranking is 117. Wow imagine just 2 tournaments together and their ranking improved from 270 to 117. That is an improvement of 153 steps. Isn't this a great achievement? This is what my friend is trying to tell me so I just put it here. No offense just my personal opinion.

#49 blabl, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Anybody can comment on INA Sudirman Cup squad? I heard INA won't ask Tommy and Simon to play. It is an All out junior players for MS.

11. Bhinneka

Bhinneka Regular Member

PBSI decided to give MS juniors playing time to gain much experience in high level of badminton by selected them in this sudirman cup and SEA games respectively, all eyes on 18 yo Jonathan Christie and 16 yo Firman Abdul Kholik.

12. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    I go for firman abdul kholik than going for Jonathan Christie as for MS is concerned. But still i am puzzled to know why Indonesia has gone for junior players than selecting Tommy sugiarto or Simon. I don't think these youngsters will give you good results against China, India, Japan , Korea etc.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
  14. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Can someone post the squads of all 12 Group 1 teams so we can start the hypothetical match ups?

15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

taufik hidayat explain the reasons for fielding in youngsters

It is about time the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) put its trust in young players — despite their lack of experience — to compete in prestigious events like the world team badminton championship, the Sudirman Cup.“Don’t underestimate young players. Competing in prestigious tournaments will give them experience and good opportunities to become better athletes in the future,” badminton legend Taufik Hidayat told a sport discussion held by online media detiksport.com on Tuesday.Indonesia is ready to take part in the Sudirman Cup, the world team badminton championship, in Dongguan, China, from May 10 to 17. The next big tournament will be the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Singapore from June 5 to 16.The PBSI has been left with a less experienced cohort of shuttlers in the wake of the resignations of senior players Tommy Sugiarto and Simon Santoso, whose decisions to quit the national team have drawn criticisms about them lacking commitment and being bad role models for their juniors. Indonesia won the championship, named after national badminton figure **** Sudirman, for the first and only occasion when it hosted the inaugural competition in 1989.Indonesia will be in group C with Denmark and England. Host and defending champion China is in Group A with Thailand and Germany. Group B consists of Japan, Chinese Taipei and Russia, while Group D features 2013 runner-up South Korea, India and Malaysia.Taufik, a gold medallist at the 2004 Athens Olympics, suggested young players could become tournament spoilers as he recollected his early participation in the Asian Games.He said that he was 17 when he was asked to represent Indonesia at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok, Thailand, where he won a gold for the men’s team, which also included Hendrawan, Ricky Subagja, Rexy Mainaky, Tony Gunawan, Tri Kusharjanto, Budi Santoso and Candra Wijaya.Ricky and Rexy doubled the take for the badminton team with their gold in the men’s doubles event. In total, Indonesia collected six gold, 10 silver and 11 bronze medals to finish in 11th position at the quadrennial Asian multi-sport event. “They [the PBSI] shall ask them [young players] whether they have the guts to prove themselves if they are given such a responsibility. Young players usually have nothing to lose, which can spark their best performance whoever they play against,” added Taufik. He said that even though they do not win a match, at least they will have something to learn from the tournament. The national training camp currently grooms 66 shuttlers. “We will send 10 women and 10 men athletes to the Sudirman Cup. They are competing at the [ongoing] Malaysia Open with the Singapore Open being the next tournament,” said training head Ricky Subagja. Men’s doubles pair Hendra Setiawan/Mohammad Ahsan and mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir will again be Indonesia’s backbone at the Sudirman Cup. While both pairs are expected to contribute points, the other three events — men’s singles, women’s singles and women’s doubles — still leave the team weak, with Ricky conceding that regeneration in those three categories is lagging. The founder of the Tangkas Club, Justian Hadinata, urged the PBSI to strengthen the athletes’ mentality for the event. Youth and Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi said he was hopeful that Indonesian players could spring surprises at the tournament. - See more at: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...players-says-taufik.html#sthash.aauVp6DM.dpuf

#55 blabl, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  16. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Sorry I guess all the participants for this Sudirman Cup is not confirmed yet. This is because all the countries would like to make some last minute changes to their squad.

17. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    If INA and DEN send weak teams, India might reach SFs, if they pull off a Delhi 2014 like Miracle.

18. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Sorry all the countries who will be participating in this Sudirman Cup tournament have not finalised on the name of their players yet. This is because all the countries wants to ensure they send in the best players for this tournament. By looking at the BWF ranking I guess, you can get some hints about which player the country will send. I just checked on the BWF ranking and found out that Indonesia have lots of players ranked top 10. MS highest ranked no 10, MD highest ranked no 3, WD highest ranked no 7, MX highest ranked no 5. Wow looks like Indonesia have so many good players they can send for this Sudirman Cup tournament.

19. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Well sorry but do you happen to have any ideas about who will be playing for the India team in this Sudirman Cup tournament?

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think the decision to send young MS for Indonesia is not because they believe in their youth, but because TS and SS left the squad. Because in the XD and MD they don't send the young ones...
    I think it is a good opportunity that is missed, as XD and MD are very strong. A good MS might just bring Indonesia quite far!