2014 WC Qualifications

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by AlanY, Jan 30, 2014.

1. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I just don't understand why the BWF would not make the best use of Lin Dan for promoting the sport in one of its most important events. Badminton is lacking leading personalities. There you have Lin Dan, the most recognizable name, who remains there and expressed the desire to compete with a wild-card entry. Give him a NO, start changing score system, limiting participation, etc. What a ridiculous political entity.

#61 fauci, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As reported here http://sports.qq.com/a/20140521/039233.htm :

Due to some last-minute withdrawals from certain nations, for whatever reasons, CHN is fortunate to be offered the 4th spots in 4 out of 5 categories, namely, MS Tian Houwei (WR15), WS Han Li (WR14), WD Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei, and XD Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong. As for MD Liu Yuchen/Li Junhui, there's still hope for this pair to gain entry as certain qualified nations have already met the 4 pair maximum per nation quota but has to await further confirmation.

So for CHN, it's MS Chen long, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming and Tian Houwei;

WS Li Xuerui, Wang Shixian, Wang Yihan and Han Li (however, Yao Xue is next in line should Han Li forfeits or one of the other three CHN WS makes way for her, the latter option being less likely);by the way, the other non-CHN qualifier is Busanan Ongbumrungpan;

WD Yu Yang/Wang Xiaoli, Bao Yixin/Tang Junhua, Luo Ying/Luo Yu, and Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei;

XD Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei, Xu Chen/Ma Jin, Liu Cheng/Bao Yixin and Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong;

MD Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan, Chai Biao/Hong Wei, Liu Cheng/Kang Jun and ,awaiting further confirmation Liu Yuchen/Li Junhui.

3. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

So is there no chance for either Cai Yun or FHF?

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

No Lin Dan for this year WC, the elusive WC title should be opened for strong fave Lee CW.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

#67 samir12, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So all WC entries have been confirmed, I presume.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

One step more : 2nd June - confirmation to the players from reserves list.

Then we'll wait for seeding report and draw date, World Ranking to determine seeding : 7th August 2014.

9. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I think FHF/ZN or CY/LuKai would have a better chance at winning WC than any of the MD's being sent.

10. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    I read on the news few days ago that LYB said he isn't mad about the BWF didn't give LD a wildcard since this is not China's loss, it's badminton fans' loss (I forget where I read it but I will add the source immediately when I remember it). This man sure knows how to b*tch slap the BWF in the face.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

Kien Keat to reunite with Boon Heong for world meet

by rajes paul

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) has submitted Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong's name for the World Championship in August.

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national shuttler Koo Kien Keat has been given a lifeline to play for Malaysia in the World Championships.

The 29-year-old Kien Keat will reunite with Tan Boon Heong in Copenhagen from Aug 25-31 after the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) confirmed their entries.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong had qualified on merit for the World Championships by virtue of being the world No. 24 pair. Two other Malaysian qualifiers ranked ahead of them are Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong (7th) and Goh V Shem-Lim Khim Wah (19th).

A country can have a maximum of three pairs if they are ranked within the top 24 bracket.

Initially, Kien Keat’s participation was unclear because he had quit the national team in March but BAM’s secretary Ng Chin Chai confirmed on Monday that they had accepted Kien Keat-Boon Heong’s entry.

Chin Chai said that it would benefit Malaysia to have three pairs in the fray.

“Boon Heong is still with BAM and it will be a waste if we do not allow him to play with Koo in Copengahen. We have confirmed their entries with the world body,” said Chin Chai.

“With Koo and Boon Heong in the squad, we can have quality sparing sessions among the men’s doubles qualifiers. It will also benefit Khim Wah-V Shem and Thien How-Wee Kiong.”

Kien Keat, who has been coaching and playing for Thailand-based Granular badminton club since leaving BAM, is happy to be given another chance and has promised to deliver.

“I have spoken to Boon Heong about this and we are ready for the world championships. This will be our last chance to come good. We have two more months to work at it. My most memorable outing in the world meet is a runners-up finish in Paris (2010) and hopefully, we can give a strong performance again,” added Kien Keat.

#72 nokh88, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Maybe so, if LD is still in excellent form as per last year.

But this year - I doubt that he could steamroll past most top ranked MS players from other countries. There is surely an impact to his touch shots and overall fitness if he wasn't doing full time training and playing for months.

13. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

so is LD participating in WC

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I guess its no....he is not always going to get a gift from Bwf he should have taken tourneys seriously if he wants ti participate in WC

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This Lin Dan surely is remarkable having just outlasted Simon Santoso in the Australian Open. The rest of the world must surely be happy on his non- qualification.

16. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

LD is a joy to watch when he plays serious badm. WC 2014 will be missing a good MS show without LD. Much as I would like LCW to win his first WC Gold, but LD presence will make it more exciting. Anyway, Tago won in Indonesia will keep this WC MS slightly "unpredictable".

#77 Jimmy_Goh, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  17. budibadibu

budibadibu Regular Member

Student
    is there any possibility Simon can join the WC?? I think INA better just send 2 players to the WC, Tommy & Simon.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Hayom has withdrawn according to BWF last update (30th June) while Simon is in the reserve list (R4). So INA MS will be represented by Tommy Sugiarto and Sony DK.

Players/pairs in the reserve list (updated 30th June 2014) :

MS - http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570616&dl=1
    WS - http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570618&dl=1
    MD - http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570615&dl=1
    WD - http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570617&dl=1
    XD- http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=570619&dl=1

19. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Just wondering, are there Prize money to be won in WC?
    Looking at Indonesia MS, if there is no Prize money and Sony being an independent player he has to foot his own bills to play, maybe Sony may give up slot to Simon ;)