2014 Victor KOREA Open SS : SEMIFINALS & FINALS (11th & 12th January 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I think LD will start playing in March and am sure he will qualify for the WC this year. So if he is NOT seeded 2nd AND not on the same half with CL (2nd seeded), it simply means that LCW has to beat LD (in semi or early rounds) and CL (in final). It's not only a tall order, it's a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE :eek:

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Humbly,I have a different view as to LCW supposedly not playing to his max at the KOR Open SS.

First off, LCW hates to lose , esp not to CHN players, his main rival at that, and,surely, definitely not for the 4th time in a row - can be intolerable for the world number 1.

Second, I'm sure LCW, like everybody else, will want to have a rousing start to the new year - makes him feel good,lucky and confident.

Third, by losing to Chen Long yet again, he is enhancing his archrival's psychological edge over him and,conversely, aggravating his own psychological disadvantage; worse still, LCW is now more likely made to feel or believe that Chen Long is another nemesis, eroding his self-belief, as if one Lin Dan is not enough to cripple him mentally. On the contrary, I strongly feel that LCW must do his utmost to beat Chen Long and do it more often to put him in his place or else face dire consequences of his own making (I exaggerate a little here, for the sake of effect).

Fourth, the MAS Open PSS next week isn't that much more important than this year-opening SS event that he can afford to lose one in order to increase his chances of winning the other. Besides, the MAS Open PSS is not a major title - let's not forget, he originally even wanted to skip the SSF held in his home country.

Fifth, having won the SSF last month rather easily (not really troubled by JOJ and in the absence of Chen Long), LCW came to the KOR Open SS fresh and confident after a few weeks' rest. Furthermore,look at how he demolished CL's fellow teammate, Du Pengyu, in the QF by the emphatic score of 21-9,21-12 as well as defeating the rest, Son WH, Marc Z and K Tago, all highly respectable opponents,each of them in two sets convincingly. There is no question about LCW's form and fitness as well as his desire to win and nothing means more than beating Chen Long here.

In conclusion, LCW at the tail end of his career is now at a crossroads where he has to make an important decision as both age and time are not on his side. Either he goes on as before,trying to win as many titles and prize money and leaving to fate whether he wins a major or not until it's time to hang up his racquet for good. Or, make the necessary adjustments such as playing tournaments selectively, treating prize winnings as secondary and, most importantly, focus on peaking at the right time and preparing his utter best towards winning at least or just one major before calling it a day; in other words, go out with a bang, not a whimper.

If I may add one final point - it's too late for LCW to do anything to stop Chen Long, let alone Lin Dan. LCW can only hope to win the odd match against CL and to be lucky enough to do it at a time and place that matters more to him. Chen Long has improved so much now and that coupled with his talent, physicality,athleticism, agility and increased confidence as well as inner belief - I think it matters little from now on whether LCW avoids playing Chen Long too often in the hope that some degree of unfamiliarity may produce a certain element of surprise; I'm afraid it's not going to work in that regard.

What's more, with or without LCW, Chen Long himself also has to deal with another more formidable and fearsome archrival in his compatriot, Lin Dan - that is already a bigger and real headache for him but, hopefully, one that will keep him on his toes, constantly improving himself, and serve as a motivation and positive driving force to strive on with diligence constantly towards accomplishing what he deserves and scale greater heights. My 2cents.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, BWF president recently said he would consider granting Lin Dan another wild card entry to the WC'14 should he not qualify the normal way. But I believe Lin Dan would want to play more actively starting this March and garner enough points to qualify.

I really hope so for he will be pushing his luck too far this time, being out of competition for another year and hope to win the WC again under such unusual circumstances. The more so, with Chen Long rising to pose a serious contender for the crown this year. I daresay Lin Dan's main hurdle will be Chen Long and not LCW this time round.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I read that Lin Dan originally wanted to compete at the GER Open GPG as his comeback tournament but he heard that Team CHN may skip that one as it is a bit too close to their winter training which is slightly delayed or disrupted by the KOR Open and the MAS Open this January. Moreover, flying all the way to England from China across so many time zones would require a few days of acclimatization to overcome jetlag even for seasoned travellers.

Maybe the All England organizer could consider awarding him a wild card entry as a qualifier, let's hope so.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If LCW can't beat CL in SS, what makes you think he can beat CL in WC or OG2016? If I'm not mistaken, CL has NOT won a WC yet, so most likely he will go all out to nail his first WC title this year. LCW is no longer CL's most fearful opponent, but LD is.

For the record, CL is the only person who thrashed LCW in 4 consecutive matches in straight games (no rubber games), which LD has yet to emulate. (correct me if I'm wrong for the record :p)

6. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Agreed, LCW is no longer a contender for the majors, his time is over.
    Matches between CL vs TS will be more interesting...

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You happened to be right about this point,technically speaking as far as international competition is concerned, as brought up in this article http://sports.qq.com/a/20140112/003343.htm (in Mandarin).

According to the article, Lin Dan also once beat Lee CW four times in a row (in 2011 if I'm not wrong ) but not all in two straight sets and it included one closed invitational,commercial tournament,viz the Four Heavenly Kings Match-Tournament, which is not BWF-sanctioned.

8. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

Very good points and let us not forget that LCW was playing for a local club in Chinese badminton super league last year too. I believe Chinese team already knew LCW's strength and weakness very well by now given the results in WC, TC, OG and other big events during recent years.

However, it will be interesting to see how LCW responds if he meets CL again in Malaysia open final on this Sunday. I really hope LCW can come back with much better performance than the one in Korean open.

9. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Guys, did you all forget about Tian Houwei? He succeeded in beating LCW, CJ and LD last year, and his next obvious target is CL. By participating in a few more tournaments this year he will easily reach Top 30 and can try his luck in obtaining his first WC title.

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    lcw with kids now. He can enjoy playing with less stress. A good pay day from the tournament and sponsors. Can't really complain much. Just play till he is out of top 10. ;)

11. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

I agree that THW is a rising star but he needs to prove himself as a major contender for SS by winning a few titles first. He did win over Tommy S last week in Korean open which is a good start and hope he can build on it this year. I really want to watch him playing live again in June to defend his Australian open title as his performance last year was much over expectation by beating LCW in the semifinal.

#351 ting_ht, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

I would say if he keep playing those players except LD or CL, that would make MS boring. We can see him trashed nearly every single MS players badly. :D

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Boring? LCW said 'You got to be kidding' and 'Easy payday' with CL and LD not in. The longer not facing any or both of this duo so much the better, doesn't bother me 1 bit. The only problem is these 2 pests are so generous at SS and SSP but keep showing up at majors and screw up my big goals. Imagine, if I win a WC or OLY gold, that Tan Sri title and shipload of $$$ awaits me, apa ini 'boring?':D
    I read in the Star that WMC and LCW's mom were saying LCW was tense the night before MO14 MSF. Why dude? You are facing TS, a chap you spanked 8 previous times, a walk in the park with the final at home with all the Boleh fans attending and where you scored 9 titles. As it turned out at the MSF, you spanked TS so hard in the butt that TS can barely walked:pEasy money Encik.